View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 09:02 PM
<----Zenith C845

The WB8NHV story in a nutshell

WB8NHV - licensed since June 1972. I had a CW (Novice) station on the air from '72-'74, upgraded to Technician in mid-'75, then moved back to my old neighborhood and operated FM from mid-1975 until 1982, with a brief stint on six meters from May '75 until July '76. (I got the surprise of my life the first day I was on six, crystal-controlled on 50.35 MHz, when I worked WA0SDK in South Dakota--well, sorta, kinda, as I don't think he heard me. ) Got back on CW in mid-'82 with my old Novice setup (Heathkit DX40/VF1 transmitter and VFO, Hallicrafters SX101A receiver, and a 25-foot trap vertical) and upgraded to General three years later. Worked 49 states and a handful of foreign countries on 80-15-meter CW with several different rigs, then lost my antenna in early 1999. I moved to my present QTH (location) in late 1999, so was completely off the air at least a year--getting settled in a new apartment and getting my bearings in the new location (12 miles east of my former QTH) took up most of my time.

I am now back on the air, mostly on 2-meter FM (I'm a member of the Lake County Amateur Radio Association or LCARA; have been since 1987), although I do have my HF rig, an Icom IC-725 nine-band 100-watt rig, set up in my bedroom. The radio feeds a Barker and Williamson AP-10A apartment portable antenna and is used mostly on 28.450 MHz, where the LCARA ten-meter SSB net meets at 8:30 p.m. Eastern time on Wednesday of each week. The club also has a 2-meter net on its repeater, N8BC, 147.81-21 in Painesville, Ohio (30 miles east of Cleveland). The net meets each Thursday of the month (except the first, which is LCARA's meeting night) at seven p.m. Eastern time on that repeater. You do not have to be a club member to check in. If you are in the Lake County or eastern Cuyahoga County area, have a hand-held or base 2-meter rig, and are able to access the repeater, you are more than welcome to join us on the 2-meter net; likewise, if you hear the ten-meter net and have at least a Technician class license, you are welcome to check in there as well.

BTW, I am also experimenting with voice-over-IP (VoIP) using K1RFD's EchoLink software on my computer, which also allows me access to the local EchoLink node (N8PB) on 147.57 MHz using my Icom IC-T22A handheld. The node is open to all amateurs in the Lake County, Ohio area within simplex range.

73 (best of regards),

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma