View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's my 56 Philco that I paid ten bucks for at a Goodwill when I was 13 and Goodwills were often full of stuff like that. It worked well and I wanted a first set for my room at home. That was over 30 years ago! Still works like a new one. I don't want to get on a 56 Philco rant as I've posted the long version of this nearly lifelong love. I will say that the set is completely amazing. We had to send it to the TV shop before I learned about TVs after a few years of heavy use. The sound got distorted. They told us it was a tube and a resistor. Since then I replaced the CRT which got weak and ONE, yes ONE paper capacitor that was causing vertical shrinkage and foldover on the bottom of the screen.

I only have 6 vintage sets that I bother keeping and wouldn't mind shrinking that number, but the Philco may well go to the grave. It's pretty basic as far as old TVs go and the simplicity of the chassis is mind blowing. SO easy to work on (as if it ever needs it). I yank it here and there just to blow the dust off and shine the tubes. LOL