View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, the tuner was very dirty, it was a bitch to get out because of the silly front screw in system they use that you have some odd key to unscrew.
Even after cleaning the contacts for chan 3, had problems getting a clear pic due to what I believe to be tired/ worn tuner tubes, only after hooking in a 15db rf amp was I able to tune in a clear video w/o snow.
Cause as mentioned, it seems that almost every tube is OEM and most likely worn/ tired.
I did try a couple of 6GH8As in the V19 socket ( h-blanker / bandpass) that were of unknown state, the first one made no change in the picture at all, the other must have been VERY bad, cause something smoked as soon as it was turned on, but STILL WORKED when the previous tube was put back, will no doubt find what it was when I check resistors, most likely many will be out of tolerance and need to be replaced.

Tubes ordered so far, based on what was observed, both tuner tubes, video output tube ( the video was being overpowered by color ) and the R-Y B-Y G-Y compactron, what color there was , is very off balance like one of the Y-amps was weak, though this could be bad resistors, but a 50+ year tube can also do it.

As mentioned, C1 is going to be a big pain to replace, C2 C3, are not so bad, but it looks like C1 was put in first, soldered in a very tight area, and then everything else wired in neatly and tightly in layers under it, there is no way to reach the bottom of C1 w/o ripping it all up.

What I may end up doing is attacking C1 with a dremel cutting wheel, won't be pretty but should work, cut around the base remove can and guts, work down to attach 3 new caps using solderable base of old C1 while leaving wiring to it under it undisturbed. ( idea anyway ).

But for now, gonna start with checking resistors on the chroma / luminance board.