Thread: K-cars
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 08:27 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
which he always shut the car off leaving it in "D" with the parking brake on, being used to manuals.
tfw when no ignition-shift interlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I had a choice of a 76 Monaco with a 360- probably a lean-burn 2bbl
You know, I've only ever been under the hood of just ONE lean-burn vehicle (outside of a junkyard, anyway), and I never had a chance to work on the motor, because it ran just fine. It was a 70-something Dodge pickup, with a slant-6. I've read a lot about the Lean Burn™ system, and it's quite fascinating. But I'd really like to work on one to actually get a feel for it. It was basically a computer controlled engine, except carbureted, and no, the carb was not at all controlled by the computer. It handled ignition only. The only problems I can speculate about the system would be A: it's a 'computer' from the '70s, before computers were really a thing, and B: they put the damn computer in the hottest place they could pick - right on top of the engine.

Chrysler has a long proud history of technological achievements, but putting a computer on top of a hot engine was not one of their brightest moments. Though to be perfectly fair, many carmakers today continue that practice. Mostly GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Oh yeah, RWD Mopar with a cop motor with a 400 cubic inch plant, cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks and made before catalytic converters...
Huehuehuehue.