View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackN920 View Post

11?! That's great! now hopefully ya did'nt have to give an arm and a leg for that collection. Reel to reel huh? I'd like to find a good 4 track recording unit sometime, probably going to be expensive if I ever find one. Around how much were those little 7" going for? I'd like to find one like that some time, and a few others like it. How much were some of the color sets going for? Preferably after the mid 50's as those ones will always be expensive. Let's see more y'all!!!
IIRC I only spent 105$ including seller's fee. That RTR was a rusty and likely barn stored TEAC 3300....I have two other reliable TEAC RTRs, but this is the unit that has made me LOVE the brand. Despite dirty pots, a rusted capstan and a pinch roller that looked like it was probably bad all I had to do to make it work was plug it in and toss on a tape! I then cleaned it up. I bought it because it can play 15" reels which none of my other units could. It only cost me 20$, and I got some odds and ends with it too.

Some months ago I grabbed an AKAI 1800SS quadraphonic RTR/8-track off the local Craigslist for 40$ it works, but could use some tweaking.

I think the Portacolor set with the tube was listed for 20$, but I traded one of my sets for it and a bunch of others so the cash cost is less memorable. Not much tube color there. Only three Portas, and two CRTs IIRC.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma