View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 03:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
there was a previous "not backward compatible" color format that would have caused this confusion.
Heard a possibly urban legend that some major sporting events back in the color sequential days were broadcast on the incompatible CBS color system, and some rich sports fans paid handsomely to have their B&W sets modified to show a B&W image of the game. Maybe because color sets could not be obtained. Oh, I imagine the sequential field flicker seen on the grass of a football field or baseball diamond would be annoying to some extent (but it would also be that way on a field sequential color set). It would probably be the horizontal and the vertical circuits requiring modification. Otherwise regular B&W sets could present a viewable image.

Though the legend had it that it was the World Series, but I've been told that those games were broadcast in B&W.

Other sports fans would have had to fall back to listening to the game on the radio, but maybe I'm not enough of a sports fan, but I find it hard to follow a game without the video.