View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Guys, There is one other very significant difference between the two. The 5000
has an adjustable pin cushion circuit which due to the bean counters at Sony, was left out in the 5100 with simply a factory preset value in it's place. The reason I know this was that my 5100 which I purchased new in 1980 had a terrible pin cushioning problem and I battled with Sony to get it rectified. There was no simple "return the set and get another". These sets were newly discontinued at the time and finding the one that I have was a daunting task. Remember there was no internet and Ebay where you could simply do a search. I searched the old fashined way by visiting as many tv and appliance stores as I could and also letting my fingers do the walking through the Yellow pages. I finally found one but it had a shattered picture tube, so the seach continued until I found one place in New York City that had their last one. I ran down and grabbed it. So anyway, at first Sony said there was nothing they could do because there was no adjustment for pin cushioning. I made it clear that I found that answer unnaceptable and so after much deliberation and arguing, Sony in Long Island City, New York performed surgery on my set, installed a pin cushion circuit and adjusted it to get my picture straightened out. The other problem I had was that the battery back BP-51 that was supposed to last for about 3 hours only lasted about half that time at best. After a bit of pursuasion they also took care of that for me as well.