View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
that set looks like it has about a million hours on it. Never seen one with so much wear around the tuning knob that that. First thing you'll do is change the 6GH8's and at the same time, the tube sockets will go right through the pc boards.
I know what you mean. I had a Sears Silvertone 21" color roundie (RCA CTC-12 clone, IIRC) in the early '70s that was instantly ruined when I tried to replace the 6AW8 video output tube. I tried to put in the replacement tube, which had a slightly bent pin, and five seconds later I heard a sickening CRUNCH as the socket broke out of the board and clunked to the bottom of the set. The TV was only about six years old, but who knows how much use it got during that time. If it had been used a lot (I don't really know how much it was actually used, as I got this set from someone in my old neighborhood who had had it in his garage who knows how long), the PC panels became brittle from heat. It doesn't take much to break a socket out when the boards are this fragile; once that happens, you might as well junk the set since this kind of damage is difficult, if not downright impossible, to repair.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma