View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 02:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Why old televisions?

For myself, I do embrace in today's LCD television technology, however I find it more thrilling to see how television looked like back in its earliest years. I pretty much grew up with the 80s and 90s generation of televisions going from silver and fake plastic woodgrain of the 80s to black or silver plastic sets in the 90s and early 2000s, so I saw that as the norm. In my late teens I liked watching modern programs on a late 1970s Thorn colour TV, it was thrilling for me. Around 2006 I got off the street a 1959 HMV B&W TV and had my techo friend restore it to working order and I found it even more thrilling viewing modern programs and my little CCD camera on it. And I have been seeing the wonderful restoration of the oldest colour and B&W sets over the net and I think WOW televisions back then gave very good pictures like the more modern CRT TV sets. For some reason I find it thrilling bridging two diverse eras of technology, seeing modern pictures on televisions that are 50+ years old is amazing!!!

I also find just as thrilling seeing 1950s B&W and colour videotape recordings as I am amazed to see how good quality live television really was, pity most of it exists on kinescopes.

So that's my reason for getting into old televisions, and from that I really learned to appreciate this golden age technology as much as today's top notch LCD technology!