View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Some of us simply came of age with these very sets being discussed on this site. My parents had a 17" Bendix, then a 21" GE with a book-sized remote. Our two Silvertone 23-inchers, bought in 1962 and 1967, were the typical "big screen" sets seen in most homes at the time. My grade-school had Admiral 23-inchers on tall carts. Dad bought a CTC-38 in 1969 when I started high school.

I watch what little TV I find relevant on my PC monitor. A YouTube video image is no bigger than a vintage portable TV image. Why should I spend 1000+ dollars to see TV in a format I find no more useful than what I grew up with. Sure the resolution is finer, but I'm not looking for a lost contact lens or a needle in a haystack, I'm simply being entertained by whatever I'm watching.

Imagine, if you will, spending the first 40 years of your life NOT having internet, cell phones or HDTV. I worry your head would explode from the boredom!

Personally, I have little use for the current economy based on importing TV's once manufactured by people right here in the USA. It's harder every day to keep the economy moving when the engine of manufacturing has been removed. You may have a Yamaha for your avatar, but I hope you aren't thanking them for your freedom. Free trade isn't free, it has cost us dearly.

Last edited by Einar72; 09-10-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Audiokarma