View Single Post
Old 06-22-2004, 12:53 AM
Breaking records is good?

Tim, terrible shame you did not finish the job up. I would give it the go if I did not have so many darn Masco amps sitting in the workpile in the basement. I sort of lost ambition after doing one, then one needed a cap after I replaced the output tranny and the cap was bolted to the chassis, I got irritated and gave up. Then I started piling my stockpile of test equipment around it, fixed an old tube CB radio, then bought that Pioneer 1000TW that will need a new set of outputs on one side as it turns out. Have not done any TV work since I restored my circa 1971 B&W 16 inch Zenith, probably one of the last "Handcrafted" Zeniths, had almost all the original tubes, many of which surprisingly tested good despite its age and the surprising amount of use it saw. I eventually plan to give it a good once over and replace the weaker tubes with NOS ones from my stash, but many of the tubes need to be tested on my Dynamic 85 which is a pain to use. You are lucky you did not pick that one up at Amvets, I thought it was going to be useful after reading the book there at the store and seeing it tested everything under the sun, even Nuvistors and other oddities including odd stuff like those Pentagrid converter tubes used in the Zenith Transoceanic radios, except for the slight problem that it uses symbols like stars, circles, squares, pink hearts, blue diamonds and purple horseshoes (OK, so I made the last three up ). Takes forever to test tubes that way, though it seems simple at a glance it gets really frustrating really quickly. If I could somehow find the room though I would gladly bring the old Emerson back to the living world.