View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Yes, Captain, I figured I was just stuck with green halos because I really didn't want to try the hotwire trick. I'll add a couple observations: the real progress came when water started getting under the glass. Once one corner opened up I think the water was able to seep down. The pva is tenacious. It took some time to remove it all from the glass-with some of it I ended up taking a brillo pad to get it clean. One of the things that happens here is that the pva absorbs water. Even after a couple days underwater the crt face looked just like it did when I started. But by the time the safety glass came off the adhesive was white in color. I piled up the stuff and once it dried it was again yellowish/clear. It has a foul smell. I would warn anyone who tries this to take your time, don't force things. And keep your hand away from that ultor connection while you're moving that crt around!

I've posted a pic of the finished product.
Wow! That looks like a brand new tube! What method did you use to remount the glass? A bead of silicone or double sided tape?