Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   VideoKarma Classifieds (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   WTB - '39 RCA Victor R-100 phono attachment (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269654)

decojoe67 10-15-2017 12:01 PM

WTB - '39 RCA Victor R-100 phono attachment

I'm on a search for one of these small RCA bakelite phonograph attachments. I'm looking for one in good condition that has been restored to good working order. Willing to pay going price for a nice example. Please let me know if you have a similar styled/era model too. Thank you. Joe
http://www.earlytelevision.org/image...r100_phono.jpg

dieseljeep 10-15-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3190796)
I'm on a search for one of these small RCA bakelite phonograph attachments. I'm looking for one in good condition that has been restored to good working order. Willing to pay going price for a nice example. Please let me know if you have a similar styled/era model too. Thank you. Joe
http://www.earlytelevision.org/image...r100_phono.jpg

That thing had to have the big and nastiest tone arm of any phono at the time.
Isn't that the model that you had to spin and start?

decojoe67 10-15-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3190798)
That thing had to have the big and nastiest tone arm of any phono at the time.
Isn't that the model that you had to spin and start?

Yes. These attachments are very primitive units, but fun to use if you have a pile of old 78's. The tone arms use old Victrola needles. On these bakelite models the arm is fairly light. The earlier models were metal! Good thing average 78's are plentiful and never will be very desirable, so I just enjoy playing them!

Celt 10-15-2017 04:58 PM

I like how the arm leans to the right...

decojoe67 10-15-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celt (Post 3190810)
I like how the arm leans to the right...

That's Steve's from the Early Television Foundation. I believe it's atop of a '39 TRK-12 TV. The tone arm on these phono attachments feel very loose and often lean. It doesn't matter much as they use the old replacement steel needles. They sound decent through a nice console though!

Electronic M 10-15-2017 06:32 PM

I had a radio/phono with that arm it was at LEAST as heavy as the average metal arm of the day. As long as your 78's are worn these are fine, but most period gear is too rough on records to be acceptable for proper record life.

decojoe67 10-15-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3190817)
I had a radio/phono with that arm it was at LEAST as heavy as the average metal arm of the day. As long as your 78's are worn these are fine, but most period gear is too rough on records to be acceptable for proper record life.

I used to hardly play any of my 78's, 45's, and 33's, especially on old equipment. In the last few years I realized that I'm either going to be giving them away at one point or they'll end-up in a dumpster, so I just enjoy playing them. The typical record collection of popular music is of nominal value these days anyway and will just go down in value. I spoke to a long-time serious record dealer recently who removes common 78's from collection buys and puts them right in the dumpster!

David Roper 10-16-2017 03:04 AM

It sits on the TRK-5. I have never found out why the spindle is way too narrow. I can only think that something was attached to it at one time and is now missing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3190814)
That's Steve's from the Early Television Foundation. I believe it's atop of a '39 TRK-12 TV. The tone arm on these phono attachments feel very loose and often lean. It doesn't matter much as they use the old replacement steel needles. They sound decent through a nice console though!

decojoe67 10-16-2017 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Roper (Post 3190855)
It sits on the TRK-5. I have never found out why the spindle is way too narrow. I can only think that something was attached to it at one time and is now missing.

My wooden '38 model has the same spindle. It goes to a thin metal bracket that is rather loose. These attachments were cheap units and not of great quality, although you can't kill the motors!

dieseljeep 10-16-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Roper (Post 3190855)

When the units were new, there was a rubber cap that was the diameter of the record center hole. It was possibly used as an isolation to minimize motor noise to the record. Naturally, after almost 80 years, they crumbled away.
You should be able to fabricate something out of rubber to equal the diameter of the hole and slip it on the shaft. :scratch2:

decojoe67 10-16-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3190867)
When the units were new, there was a rubber cap that was the diameter of the record center hole. It was possibly used as an isolation to minimize motor noise to the record. Naturally, after almost 80 years, they crumbled away.
You should be able to fabricate something out of rubber to equal the diameter of the hole and slip it on the shaft. :scratch2:

OOpps! I misunderstood and was writing about the spindle that holds the tone-arm. Yes, the spindle centers are often missing on these units. My '38 wooden model had a homemade nipple on it.

dieseljeep 10-17-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3190885)
OOpps! I misunderstood and was writing about the spindle that holds the tone-arm. Yes, the spindle centers are often missing on these units. My '38 wooden model had a homemade nipple on it.

Remove the clip or other fastener that holds the tone arm. It possibly had some kind of rubber sleeving for noise isolation. Some kind of hose might work.
The last time, I saw one of those was over 50 years ago.

dtvmcdonald 10-17-2017 11:56 AM

The RCA U-10 Radio-Phono that I use with my TT-5 TV has that tone arm.

The tilt is easily fixable. I forget what I had to do to it. Its astoundingly heavy.
The U-10 does sound OK with it and the super-kludge repair I did on the cartridge,
after a change in the RC network on the phono input (it sounded better
on the TV input before I dinked around.) I have not noticed any degradation in
the sound after many plays of my favorite 78 records.
I do change needles after every two sides.; they really get flat spots!

Boobtubeman 10-17-2017 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of large tonearm 78 only players.. Heres my working little doorstop.. :D

SR

dieseljeep 10-18-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boobtubeman (Post 3190920)
Speaking of large tonearm 78 only players.. Heres my working little doorstop.. :D

SR

I thought it looked like an Emerson. Same knobs and handle as my 505 portable radio. :thmbsp:
I got a kick out of the Cheap'n'nasty Tops record. They were poor remakes of the popular tunes of the day, by unknown recording artists. :D
They were sold in the five'n'dimes.