Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   VideoKarma Classifieds (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Rules of the House (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=245866)

Findm-Keepm 08-21-2013 09:49 AM

So what is the rule for commercial entities wishing to advertise in the classifieds? One is in, but no rules posted?

It appears to be different from AK - not trying to kick the hornets nest, but I asked about this when VK started up and was told no commercial entities in the classifieds (by Grumpy, nonetheless). Now we have one.

Cheers,

init4fun 08-21-2013 02:26 PM

If we're allowed to share opinions about this , here's mine ;

I like the idea of Technicolor and others advertising their products here , and I can't see where this could be any kind of problem . There should , however , be a way to differentiate between private and commercial sellers so that folks don't have to click on each and every ad to see which is which . Could perhaps a "commercial retailers subforum" be created right underneath the present classifieds section ? Failing that , maybe a different colored font for private vs commercial sales ? (blue text = private and red text = commercial , or something similar)

The more resources the better when looking for old radio/tv parts and if I need a capacitor that Technicolor or anyone else has , it matters not whether the seller is private , commercial , or a little green man from mars , as long as I get the needed cap (or anything else) to fix the radio !

As long as the ads were kept strictly to the topic of the board , old video and audio stuff , how exactly could access to a greater resource of components be a bad thing for VK ????

Findm-Keepm 08-21-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 3080109)
If we're allowed to share opinions about this , here's mine ;

I like the idea of Technicolor and others advertising their products here , and I can't see where this could be any kind of problem . There should , however , be a way to differentiate between private and commercial sellers so that folks don't have to click on each and every ad to see which is which . Could perhaps a "commercial retailers subforum" be created right underneath the present classifieds section ? Failing that , maybe a different colored font for private vs commercial sales ? (blue text = private and red text = commercial , or something similar)

The more resources the better when looking for old radio/tv parts and if I need a capacitor that Technicolor or anyone else has , it matters not whether the seller is private , commercial , or a little green man from mars , as long as I get the needed cap (or anything else) to fix the radio !

As long as the ads were kept strictly to the topic of the board , old video and audio stuff , how exactly could access to a greater resource of components be a bad thing for VK ????

I have only one problem - I've been on the AK/VK boards for over 5 years, and I proposed a similar operation in 2010, when the boards split. I was shot down. Now, here comes someone that has 5 months on the board, and it gets the blessing. I had tons (1300 SqFt) of stuff that I would have offered, off-site, not just capacitors from China. No profit - just a list of stuff available (off-site, to keep the chaff/PMs to a minimum). Many here benefited from the initial offers - Compucat, RadioTVnut, DRH4683, Dave Morris, and bunch more.

The real problem is the lack of a stated policy - it seems to be a conditional one, the conditions I'm not privy to.

technicolor 08-21-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3080128)
I have only one problem - I've been on the AK/VK boards for over 5 years, and I proposed a similar operation in 2010, when the boards split. I was shot down. Now, here comes someone that has 5 months on the board, and it gets the blessing. I had tons (1300 SqFt) of stuff that I would have offered, off-site, not just capacitors from China. No profit - just a list of stuff available (off-site, to keep the chaff/PMs to a minimum). Many here benefited from the initial offers - Compucat, RadioTVnut, DRH4683, Dave Morris, and bunch more.

The real problem is the lack of a stated policy - it seems to be a conditional one, the conditions I'm not privy to.

Tim or Eric, delete the thread and any references to the store, wasn't aware it was going to cause this much friction. I appreciate the blessing to post the link but at this point with so much animosity, really no point in advertising it here.

Thanks again.

lnx64 08-21-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3080128)

I agree.

WISCOJIM 08-21-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by technicolor (Post 3080131)
Tim or Eric, delete the thread and any references to the store, wasn't aware it was going to cause this much friction. I appreciate the blessing to post the link but at this point with so much animosity, really no point in advertising it here.

Thanks again.

First, I don't see the "animosity" you speak of.

Secondly, I questioned it because in almost all hobby forums commercial advertisers have to pay for their ads. They only post to make money, and a portion of that should go to support the site. It's not at all like the ads where many people each have a few extra items laying around that they offer for sale. You would be buying these capacitors in bulk to retail for profit.

technicolor 08-21-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WISCOJIM (Post 3080136)
First, I don't see the "animosity" you speak of.

Secondly, I questioned it because in almost all hobby forums commercial advertisers have to pay for their ads. They only post to make money, and a portion of that should go to support the site. It's not at all like the ads where many people each have a few extra items laying around that they offer for sale. You would be buying these capacitors in bulk to retail for profit.

I wasn't referring to you as far animosity. But u do oppose it.

sampson159 08-21-2013 06:56 PM

joes business could benefit us all.i am not opposed to this or anyone else to do the same.i lve been around awhile too.this could open many doors to us and i applaud a good american starting a business.i would rather spend my money here than overseas.same for findm keepm.let the ads run lets all go shopping.patronize these good americans!

Username1 08-21-2013 07:08 PM

Well I think its cool that ol'satellite boy posted his sh*t, Captain Picard once posted to me in public here that he works at one of those online car parts stores to get me on board for Honda parts I may need..... Personally, I don't see anything wrong with individuals who care to identifying themselves and their business.... You can sure bet that if I were looking for something, whatever it is, I would consider buying from someone here, that I at least know a little more than someone I don't know at all....

I don't see what all the fuss is.... Sure there should be a written policy.... I assume once in a while thoughts change and a feeling shifts, becomes an unpublished policy, or an experiment....

In some cases you know.... ebay is kinda like a good fence... It keeps good people honest..... Maybe for used parts ebay is best..... For a business like satellite dishes, hey there is a pay per click ad server here.... And a note saying "that's my ad" in the classifieds is ok with me.... Good disclosure....

We could all just keep our business off here..... Hey we have seen a few postings about misread ebay shipping prices turning into such hot talk that the thread gets shut down.... What about a possible business deal gone bad....

I have a business where I run some stuff for some of the most gripy people I have seen, and out of the 200 people there, only 2 know what I do and they always have complaints... And I don't get paid for it, so they are complaining about something they get for free.... I keep my identity, and advertisements away from that crowd.... I don't want to get involved with them....

Kinda like the old bit of advice "don't work for your friends and neighbors"

Enough of this crap....... Get back to your TV Sets !

Dammit !

: )

Kamakiri 08-21-2013 10:29 PM

There's nothing "conditional" here, this is how it came about.

Technicolor (Joe) came to me with this idea, and asked me permission. The arrangement is that if within a couple months he actually gets enough orders to make a go of his business, that he would end up being a vendor sponsor.

As you can see, we have no commercial sponsors at this point. I think that we're all gentlemen here, and if someone wants to have a go at trying their hand selling parts or whatever, and they're an actual member trying to make a startup in something, just ask me.

This is, after all, how AudioKarma got its first sponsor....Venus Hi-Fi....and a long-term partnership (and friendship) was forged.

If anyone else is interested in the same arrangement, I have no problems with it. Just drop me a PM.