Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Zenith Spotted (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268843)

David Roper 04-13-2017 07:26 AM

Zenith Spotted

1 Attachment(s)
The shortest lived TV set in my family's household between 1966 and 1981 was a portable circa 1971 Zenith. When my sister moved out in 1973, her roommate had the same set. It crapped out shortly after the move and our set followed suit not very much later. I believe the set in these screen caps is the same one. Can anybody identify it by model number? Was it a lemon, or did we just have really bad luck?

dieseljeep 04-13-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Roper (Post 3182543)
The shortest lived TV set in my family's household between 1966 and 1981 was a portable circa 1971 Zenith. When my sister moved out in 1973, her roommate had the same set. It crapped out shortly after the move and our set followed suit not very much later. I believe the set in these screen caps is the same one. Can anybody identify it by model number? Was it a lemon, or did we just have really bad luck?

A little bit of both! I worked on a few, the picture was only so-so.
The early model had the low focus volts CRT, so it was just like any of the other ones, with a similar CRT.
I have the last run of that model, that uses a high focus volts CRT and the picture quality is much better.

zeno 04-13-2017 03:40 PM

Wrong TV.
Picture is a Panasonic.............

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

Electronic M 04-13-2017 04:06 PM

Was it one of these?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1493/2...6ac16fa9_n.jpg

If it is I can get you the chassis number (set pictured is mine), and possibly the model (though if there was a black cabinet version I can't readily get that model number).

zenithfan1 04-13-2017 06:10 PM

Moved to rectangular tube tvs, hope ya don't mind!

dieseljeep 04-13-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3182556)
Wrong TV.
Picture is a Panasonic.............

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

The picture is rather blurry.
Those P'sonic hybrids were a treat to work on. Also, the Bradfords and the Penncrests.
Were they slightly ahead of their time. :scratch2:

Zenith26kc20 04-17-2017 07:33 PM

The Zenith in the picture was a very reliable set. A friend of mine bought every one we got in! Really good color! They did eat an occasional horizontal output tube but were otherwise good sets. Oh, the color IC plugged into a 9 pin tube socket.
20LF6?

wa2ise 04-18-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 (Post 3182765)
Oh, the color IC plugged into a 9 pin tube socket.

I knew someone who was an engineer at Zenith, and he told about the cause of reliability problems with such ICs. Seems the assembly line workers were using a rubber mallet to plug the ICs in the tube socket, and the ICs would suffer momentary stresses when they did that. and those stresses would create small cracks which would let moisture and whatnot in, eventually ruining the IC.

Zenith26kc20 04-18-2017 02:39 PM

Sounds akin to the GE griplet problem. At a training meeting for GE the instructor revealed the griplets were coated with lubricant by the assembler that made the solder wave machine ineffective in soldering the griplets completely.
We changed a good number of the color IC's.
Murphy never sleeps!

David Roper 04-18-2017 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Even all these years later I can recall the Zenith having a very substantially better picture than the RCA that just wouldn't die. The latter was the first set I had living on my own in 1981, back when it was still something of a feather in your cap to have a color TV.

But...what is the model number of that Zenith?