Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early B&W and Projection TV (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Hey kama ... (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=27)

Don 06-20-2002 09:03 AM

Hey kama ...

1 Attachment(s)
...wadda ya think of my packing job on the 1954 TV I sold on ebay? I bubble wrapped it, then covered it in one layer of cardboard and then a large blanket (that I stole from a homeless guy) and finally another layer of cardboard around the bottom.

How do you ship them?

PS kidding about the homeless guy!

Kamakiri 06-20-2002 09:07 AM

Looks perfect! That's the EXACT same way I shipped a 1956 color set from Buffalo to LA, and it arrived perfectly intact.

Great job!

Rob 06-20-2002 10:59 AM

Hi Don,

Looks like an outstanding packing job. You forgot the large Bullseye target symbols about mid height for the forklift driver to aim for however.

Speaking from my own experience, I haven't shipped any TV's yet as I'm not a reseller, I mainly just buy for my private museum collection and always pick the items up personally with my own vehicle. I've never had to pay a professional shipping company to demolish a vintage TV yet.

It looks to me like your package on a pallet would be fine going motor freight. You might also talk to furniture movers like the big moving companies like Atlas or Allied. Sometimes they can get it from your town to their depot in another town where they are doing a household move to and have spare space. I'd be more comfortable with the furniture movers since they do this all the time and know where to put the forks. Just make sure you insure it adequately.

Good luck.

Rob

Don 06-22-2002 08:59 AM

thanks guyz, I thought you might get a kick out of the story rob ...I bought the 1954 at an estate sale for $10. I figured I could make a ton of money on ebay with it!:smsex: It ended up selling for $12.50 and I had to pack it! HAHA ...live and learn I guess. I did get paid for my packing labor though.:cool:

Rob 06-22-2002 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Don
thanks guyz, I thought you might get a kick out of the story rob ...I bought the 1954 at an estate sale for $10. I figured I could make a ton of money on ebay with it!:smsex: It ended up selling for $12.50 and I had to pack it! HAHA ...live and learn I guess. I did get paid for my packing labor though.:cool:
Don,

I just found out last night that this was the Westinghouse I had seen for a high price on ebay and didn't bid. I would have paid you $20 for just the knobs which is what I need for another '54 Westinghouse I own. I could have saved you a lot of trouble packaging. I never knew it was relisted. Next time call me! :)

Rob

Don 06-24-2002 08:28 AM

Rob I did have to relist it because it didn't meet the $100 reserve I had set for it ...with kamas suggestion of its value.

I think the 1st time it got up to $12.50

I posted pics of it at AU before and during its auction. Where were ya! :dunno: :p: