Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   76 Zenith 13" color (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268242)

Adam 12-20-2016 04:52 PM

76 Zenith 13" color

13GC10 upright fold-down chassis, 13" in-line tube, and it weighs nearly 50lb! I wonder if '76 was the first year for inline color tubes, I've never had an earlier one.

It actually produces a nice picture, despite that one I took of it not being very good. I was watching a tape playing on that 77 RCA VBT200 VCR and I wanted to get the VCR in the pic too.

It needs some cleaning up. And the antennas are broken, but I think I might have replacements for those. The only thing actually wrong with it is that the on/off switch won't turn off.

I got 3 of these solid state color Zenith portables now: this one, a '77 with the upright chassis a 17" inline tube and the electronic/ultrasonic remote, and an '84 13" system 3 with the infrared remote.

TUD1 12-20-2016 06:18 PM

Nice set. I have one similar to it, also a 76 model. It has some cracked solders on the luminance board though. Nice VBT200 as well.

Adam 12-20-2016 09:17 PM

I've got a few spare 9-88-03 luma modules. If that's the one you need, let me know, you can have one of them.

zeno 12-21-2016 08:44 AM

G line was the first year for these. Replaced the half tube 14" &
ran til L-line system 3 chassis. First year came in a knob
job with grey cabinet, yours & a 1 button remote with 18 pos
tuner also.
First one that came in the shop went right out to my car
I was so impressed. Ran it for yrs in bedroom. Same model as yours.
Heavy because its a console chassis rearranged to fit in & uses
the big power transformer.

BTW when ever you see one of those resistor packs like on
the 9-88 or vid out board RESOLDER IT !

Jeffhs 12-21-2016 12:59 PM

I had a Zenith 13LC10 13" color set (may have been System 3) in the '80s. Worked very well, great picture, and I had no repairs done on it at any time. Unfortunately, the set was lost (long story and OT) when I moved in 1999; too bad, since the TV was still working great at the time--strong CRT and all. I also had a 13" varactor-tuned Zenith which was still working great, but it got lost in the same move in which I lost the 13LC10. Just as well, I guess, since I was moving to an apartment and didn't have a lot of room, certainly not enough for three color TVs--even portables. The 19" Zenith SMS1917SG color table set and an RCA CTC185 19" (both of which still work and I still have) were about all I could fit into this place until I got a flat screen in 2011.

zeno 12-21-2016 04:41 PM

13LC10 was the continuation of the 13GC10, not a system 3.
After a few bugs got worked out they were VERY reliable.
Probably a typical chassis overlap, if not the S3 13" may have
come out in M line. I just dont remember. IMHO the 13GC10
and decendents were better pix wise. Pix was more like older sets
& high end RCA's. Kinda layed back but brite & sharp. S3 13"
sets had more bright & contrast due to the EFL CRT but not
the natural pix.

BTW System 3 was a feature list NOT a chassis ! To be an S3 in
M-line it had to have a comb filter, RAT tuning, color sentry & be
19" or 25". Other sets with the same looking chassis were NOT S3
if missing any features. Also chassis numbers went away but in some
places they were call the X or XXX chassis. We use S3 as a general
name for the style of chassis. Latter Zeniths had chassis numbers but
I have only seen them referred to in training manuals not in Sams
or in the sets.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !
& Merry Christmas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffhs (Post 3175328)
I had a Zenith 13LC10 13" color set (may have been System 3) in the '80s. Worked very well, great picture, and I had no repairs done on it at any time. Unfortunately, the set was lost (long story and OT) when I moved in 1999; too bad, since the TV was still working great at the time--strong CRT and all. I also had a 13" varactor-tuned Zenith which was still working great, but it got lost in the same move in which I lost the 13LC10. Just as well, I guess, since I was moving to an apartment and didn't have a lot of room, certainly not enough for three color TVs--even portables. The 19" Zenith SMS1917SG color table set and an RCA CTC185 19" (both of which still work and I still have) were about all I could fit into this place until I got a flat screen in 2011.