Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Early 60's Silvertone CTC 10-11? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=253083)

Eric H 01-06-2012 05:38 PM

Early 60's Silvertone CTC 10-11?

2 Attachment(s)
I went to Victorville today to pick up a late 50's Magnavox B&W console, it was $25 so I figured what the heck.

The seller told me ealier that he had a big Silvertone Color set also and that it was a tube set, I figured it would be an early 70's model perhaps but no, it's a Roundie!

Not sure exactly what chassis is is other than an RCA clone, it has the two knobs under the channel changer and four across the bottom under the speaker, it also has a Safety Glass so it should have an unbonded tube, original I think because it has the Silvertone logo on the base.
It checked weak right off but I let it cook for a few minutes and it went way high in the good range, it stayed in the good range after I dropped the voltage to 5v so I think it'll be OK.

It's missing the back and the knob, the plate behunds the knob is beat up and the cabinet is rough.

I'd like to restore it but if I can't at least find the knobs I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

The odd perspective in the photo is because the set is standing on it's head.

miniman82 01-06-2012 06:00 PM

Gonna guess CTC-11, Ed's site doesn't have a 10 matching that description.

Eric H 01-06-2012 06:15 PM

I don't know for sure but all the non-remote 10's seem to have the same knob layout?
Could still be an 11 of course.

http://novia.net/~ereitan/Gallery/CTC10_Gallery.html

Electronic M 01-06-2012 07:40 PM

One RARELY even sees color Silvertones close to that age, you ought to restore it or pass it along to some one who will.

Eric H 01-06-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3023248)
One RARELY even sees color Silvertones close to that age, you ought to restore it or pass it along to some one who will.

I'd really like to restore it, going to need a lot of help with this one, like what does the channel selector knob look like?
It has the number dial behind the plate so I'm good there, no selector or fine tuning knobs though, all the other knobs are here.
The trim plate is bent outward, haven't looked at it closely but it can probably be fixed and glued back down.

No back, well something can be constructed for that, very slim chance of finding one because as mentioned, Silvertones are few and far between.

If I can get it out of the van I'll hook the Variac to it and see what I get.

Charlie 01-07-2012 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a Silvertone that was on ebay years ago... same looking 11-layout. The date of this file is from 2003.

The photo isn't that great, so I don't know that you'll be able to make the channel selector out.

I wonder if one of our members won this auction.

Eric H 01-07-2012 12:36 PM

Thank you Charlie, it's pretty fuzzy but I can see it has a pointer shape to it.

If anyone here has a Silvertone of that era I'd really appreciate a high resolution picture of the knobs!

timmy 01-07-2012 03:03 PM

i have this silvertone here in the pic but i doubt its what your looking for. its 1963. what year is your from.

Eric H 01-07-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmy (Post 3023330)
i have this silvertone here in the pic but i doubt its what your looking for. its 1963. what year is your from.

Not sure, 60-62 I think.

Eric H 01-07-2012 07:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well this set is in better shape than the Magnavox, it at least has some life signs.
I took the Variac out to the Van and powered it up, started getting sound at 80 volts so I ran it up to 115 and the HV crackled to life along with a nice bright line (turned the brightness down quickly).
It was only drawing 1.7 amps @ 115 volts with no hum.

I'll have to bring it inside, probably piece by piece since it's too heavy to handle alone, that'll give me a chance to clean it up too.

The dial cover looks like it can be fixed reasonably well, one of the small knobs appears to be incorrect also, probably the one without the brass insert.

ctc17 01-07-2012 07:57 PM

I have one of those in the garage with a weak crt and trashed cabinet. (I think its the same)
Heres the video of it, starts at 3:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEy5QAPaueI
The chassis is like new and works perfect. Let me know if it would work for you.

Eric H 01-07-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctc17 (Post 3023360)
I have one of those in the garage with a weak crt and trashed cabinet. (I think its the same)
Heres the video of it, starts at 3:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEy5QAPaueI
The chassis is like new and works perfect. Let me know if it would work for you.

Yes! It's a slightly different set but the knobs look correct, I wouldn't mind getting the whole thing except the chassis if you are willing to part with it.
I have a very clean chassis but the knobs, Grille Cloth and the Silvertone rainbow logo are all pretty tired looking.

Did it have a back by chance?

I'll P.M. you soon.

ctc17 01-07-2012 08:59 PM

Im almost positive the back is on it. If you can use it to make a good set, come get it. Let me see if I have the sams for it. It is an 11

Im going to email you the sams so you can get that vert issue fixed

mstaton 01-07-2012 09:16 PM

Do ctc-11's have a service switch? That could be the issue. Either dirty or switched to service. I don't have an 11 to know if it does but I know 9's do not.

ctc17 01-07-2012 09:25 PM

Yes it has a service switch. It also has the 1500 ohm resistor between b+ and the vertical out primary that likes to go open.

It has a thermistor in the b+ that limits the current inrush. If that went open and was bypassed, the current rush though the 1500 ohm vert resistor to the 80uf cap will eventually blow it open.