Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Another Addition, a CTC-9A "Winslow" (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=249975)

kvflyer 01-23-2011 10:47 PM

Another Addition, a CTC-9A "Winslow"

My first round tube RCA color set followed me home today. It is a CTC-9A "Winslow". All of the knobs are there as is the back. The cabinet is not too bad but far from being a museum piece. I took pictures today; it is late and I will get some pictures up tomorrow... Promise.

So as they say, "Stay Tuned"...

kvflyer 01-24-2011 07:09 PM

Picture of the front. Sorry for the shadow but I had to work quickly because it was about 18 degrees outside and windy. I wanted to get this thing inside.

http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/133741-2/Front-W.jpg

And the back or insides of the cabinet.

http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/1.../BackW_001.jpg

Here is the neck of the CRT. It was apparently installed in 1963 when the set was only four years old. It has a filament booster so you can imagine what the test is. That will be accomplished later of course.

http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/133735-2/CRT-W.jpg

If you look carefully, you can see a date of December 13, 1959 written on the cabinet. Sounds about right. The delay line inside has a 1958 date.

http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/133738-2/Date-W.jpg

sampson159 01-24-2011 07:55 PM

i have the same set.to me this is the best of all the ctc 9 models.mine had been sabotaged by someone who didnt want to carry it out from the attic.i did a cabinet restore on the damage and it looks great.the crt had been busted and tube scavanged.set is up and working,just needing electrolytics recapped.i got this for another aker but i dont think he wants it now.i will hang on for awhile.the more i look at it,the more it becomes a keeper!

Kevin Kuehn 01-24-2011 07:58 PM

Very nice find. The cabinet looks great except for around the bottom. That should clean up well.

Kevin

kvflyer 01-24-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn (Post 2993016)
Very nice find. The cabinet looks great except for around the bottom. That should clean up well.

Kevin

Yes Kevin, there is some "Wet Basement" damage but not terminal. Very little seems to have been done on this set. I contemplated a slow variac power up. But the power supply fuse is blown. So, there is more to do first. I am pleased for $50. And, I think that the CRT I have in the shed is the correct one for this chassis. Been a year since I looked at the spare CRT...

matt_s78mn 01-24-2011 10:12 PM

Very nice Winslow!

I had one a while back but sold it to a fellow VKer. The cabinet was in a lot worse shape than yours is. Anyway best of luck with the restoration.

rcaman 01-25-2011 12:21 AM

i also have one just like it. mine works recapped it several years ago. has a replacement 21fj or fb cant remember. steve

kvflyer 01-25-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaman (Post 2993041)
i also have one just like it. mine works recapped it several years ago. has a replacement 21fj or fb cant remember. steve

Thanks Steve. I have a used CRT in the shed. I don't remember what it is because it was not marked. But pictures posted provided clues and the guys told me. That was a few years ago. Glad I saved it!

DaveWM 01-25-2011 09:06 AM

I hope your CRT checks out, I got a CTC-7 (or was it a 9?) in a metal cabinet, with one open filament, the other two guns tested very good, argh...

zenithfan1 01-25-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson159 (Post 2993014)
i got this for another aker but i dont think he wants it now.i will hang on for awhile.the more i look at it,the more it becomes a keeper!

Hey Ron! I still want it, or the 10, either one but I just don't have a way down there at this time. Bob Galanter and I usually ride to the ETF together but I haven't heard from him if he wants me to come along this year, I hope so because it's a lot of fun (even though I drank WAY too much last year and I hope I didn't piss Bob off, if so, sorry!:D) anyways I'm going way OT so back to the 9 Winslow.

That's a nice looker! I think someone lost the edge purity magnet assembly, I don't see it around the middle of the bell of the CRT. I have a 21FBP22 in my 9 but that assembly is still there, just adjusted so the forks on the magnets are pointed so they aren't doing much. An FBP with the chassis mods done really produces a great picture so if the CYP is crap I'd go that route. I wonder if that tube really needs the brightener or if something else was wrong, I've seen brighteners on tubes when something is wrong in the video and the tube checks fine. I was lucky and the CRT wasn't cooked away. Do you have a good CRT tester?

kvflyer 01-27-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenithfan1 (Post 2993060)
... Do you have a good CRT tester?

Thanks for asking. Yes, I have a good Sencore CR70. I may take time today to check it out.

Just came inside to check-in with a flight tomorrow out of this snow to JAX. Been shoveling snow just to get out! But I will be back home on Wednesday.

Cheers,

zenithfan1 01-27-2011 11:39 AM

That oughtta do it! I have the same one and it works great. It's never damaged a tube, even when I tried on an old B/W set to see what I shouldn't do with it. That reminds me, Nick has my tester and I need it soon as well as my HV probe/ flyback tester.

miniman82 01-27-2011 07:32 PM

Damn, that's right! You should stop by actually, we can have some playtime with the CTC-4 now that it's working.

zenithfan1 01-28-2011 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniman82 (Post 2993255)
Damn, that's right! You should stop by actually, we can have some playtime with the CTC-4 now that it's working.

Sounds good! I'll try to get over there soon!

kvflyer 03-08-2011 05:32 PM

I tested the CRT in this CTC-9A and it tests zero emission on any gun. You may remember it has a brightener on it. So, I thought that I must not be using the CR70 correctly. Next to this set is the CTC-28 that belonged to mom and dad. That one tests a red gun that takes a while to get into the cut-off area but good emission and the blue and green test very good.

I went out to the shed. The tube there looks exactly like the one in this set but does not have any markings that I can read. However, being outside may have removed any marks that were not hot stamped into the bakelite base.

I tested it. It tests NOS on all guns. Great! I did notice a scratch in the face that I had forgotten. Oh well, it should work well.

Tested all tubes. Some were weak, some were leaky HK shorts etc. I had most of them. One had a crack and went to air (6AQ5A), the 1V2 had an open filament and so on. And to my amazement, the Horizontal Output tubes reads new. In the mean time, I did get two NOS GE HO tubes for a song. One labeled Zenith but GE, the other a GE. Even the font of the printing of the number on the box is identical. Just more confirmation that Zenith never made receiving tubes, just CRTs.

I ordered the capacitors to stuff the filters. While I have most capacitors for doing sets, this guy uses some odd values and I didn't want a mess. I got good 105˚ electrolytics with 10,000 hours life expectancy. With buying about twice what I needed, it still was only $28.00 or so. I never buy one cap if I need one cap. You always need another one later; you may mess it up; shipping two cost no more than one and the most expensive one was less than $4. I will restuff before any power up since the power fuse is blown. I will also change the fuse holder to the conventional one instead of one that uses the bayonet fuses. I am not that much into authenticity but the can caps will be stuffed.

I think I will swap out the CRT before I try to apply power. Since the "original" CRT (which was an RCA replacement) reads absolute zero emission even with 8 volts on the filaments, why bother with the old one. Suggestions/Comments?

Inside of the HV cage, the 6BK4 shunt regulator has some stuff wrapped around the lead and cap. Looks like putty. Corona putty? Maybe it was arcing? Also, the HV rectifier socket mount, the clear plastic bowl part has been melted a little by heat from the regulator. Might need to find one eventually?

Under the chassis shows only a couple repairs. 97.5% original. Most of the caps are epoxy dipped so some may be still temporarily OK for an early power up before replacement. But they will all be replaced eventually. Guess I am getting curious.

News at 11...