Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Movies, shows, & programs (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   The Star Trek Legacy...(take the poll!) (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=61762)

mg196 02-28-2006 07:11 AM

The Star Trek Legacy...(take the poll!)

I can't believe this has not been a poll yet!

Personally, I love Star Trek. I was a closet Trekkie for most of my life (I am 32 and have NO idea what the diff is between a trekkie/trekker) and only recently walked out into the sunlight (Silence=Death!). I remember when my brother and I visited my dad on the weekends we would watch Star Trek on Channel 43 before coming home to Mom.

Which is your favorite Star Trek incarnation? Take the poll, damnit!

ROCKET MAN (interpreted by William Shatner)

Kamakiri 02-28-2006 08:28 AM

The choice is obvious ;)

RichPA 02-28-2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakiri
The choice is obvious ;)

Hmm, interesting - since I was the first one to vote for my choice! :scratch2:

rulerboyz 02-28-2006 08:50 AM

I have to go with The Next Generation, partly because I was born after TOS and was an adolescent when The Next Generation started. I think that in many ways the motion pictures that the original crew did during the 80s set the stage and tone for what would become The Next Generation. For example it was in The Search For Spock that we get our first look at what the Klingons will look like in The Next Generation. This second series was also very much stamped with Rodenberry's optimism for the future, since we see all kinds of technological progress that has been made since TOS. And likewise, all kinds of technological progress had been made in the field of television and cinema to allow the creators of the show to raise the bar considerably in their quest to present some compelling science fiction.

OvenMaster 02-28-2006 08:51 AM

Agreed. ST:TNG simply rocked compared to all the other incarnations. I wish they'd rerun TNG in syndication. Make it so!
Last I recall, a "trekkie" was a name given with a slightly demeaning, look-down-your-nose-at-someone name. "Trekker" is considered more dignified.
Lt. Tom

Celt 02-28-2006 08:56 AM

I grew up with the original and even have a signed letter and pic from Leonard Nimoy mailed to me from Desilu Studios! But let's face it, The Next Generation had better writing and production values. It was my favorite by far.

mg196 02-28-2006 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OvenMaster
Agreed. ST:TNG simply rocked compared to all the other incarnations. I wish they'd rerun TNG in syndication. Make it so!

Last I recall, a "trekkie" was a name given with a slightly demeaning, look-down-your-nose-at-someone name. "Trekker" is considered more dignified.

It IS in syndication. Check Spike TV every day! They play 2 or 3 eps a day.

Dignified?! hmmm...it must be a Geek vs. Nerd thing!!

Crotalus 02-28-2006 09:15 AM

TNG for sure. It is one of the those shows that go with the question, "If you were stranded on a desert island...". It was the high water mark for the franchise. The last few seasons of Deep Space Nine also raised the bar and are very good.

You can actually catch TNG six times a day. Three episodes on Spike in the afternoon, two episodes on G4 in the evening and one more episode on G4 at midnight (central time).....it's a great time if you are a TNG fan.

slag 02-28-2006 09:24 AM

The Next Generation is my choice as well. My wife and I like to watch
at least one episode a day on G4.

dr*audio 02-28-2006 09:30 AM

I agree that the production quality was much better on TNG, but I grew up with the origninal series and I liked the characters and the relationships that developed. My second favorite is Enterprise. It started out slow but after the first season the writing improved and the character developement did also. The thing I liked about TNG was not the effects so much as the introduction of the Borg. The 2 parter where Picard gets assimilated is a classic!

Andyman 02-28-2006 09:35 AM

Never really followed any of the "followups". For me it was Jim, Spock, Bones and Scotty, and always will be.
I just find them much more interesting characters; the others never really floated my boat.

OvenMaster 02-28-2006 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mg196
It IS in syndication. Check Spike TV every day! They play 2 or 3 eps a day.

Dignified?! hmmm...it must be a Geek vs. Nerd thing!!

Rats. I keep thinking of maybe overnight instead of informercials, or, heaven forbid, in the evening instead of the usual ET/Insider/Seifeld/Jeopardy/Raymond 7 to 8pm rubbish on an over the air channel. I'm cable-free:cry:
Tom

Bigerik 02-28-2006 09:55 AM

Gotta say I love the original series most. Was a big TNG fan, and I think it still came closest of all the new shows to Roddernberrys idea of Star Trek, but there is something special about the original one.
Oh, and I wouldn't be a real trekkie if I did not point out that we saw the new Klingons first in ST:The Motion Picture, not Search for Spock. :)

Bigerik 02-28-2006 10:02 AM

Oh, and you are not a true trekkie, unless you check out the New Voyages:

http://www.newvoyages.com/

These are a bunch of trekkies who are actually producing season 4 of the original series. They are actually getting support from many of the original cast and crew, including DC Fontana, Walter (Chekov) Koenig, George (Sulu) Takei, etc. They even have a professional CGI guy doing the space shots for them, with MUCH higher quality than the original. The acting uniformly sucks, but they are fun to watch. Two episodes are done and more are on the way.

mg196 02-28-2006 10:02 AM

Hey, was the Klingon forehead-evolution ever explained?!?!?!!