Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   WTB: 1964 Zenith cloverleaf roundie convergence coils (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265096)

old_tv_nut 08-31-2015 08:46 PM

WTB: 1964 Zenith cloverleaf roundie convergence coils

Hope I didn't miss the right place to post.

Anyone familiar with the early Zenith roundies will recognize the reason for this want ad - the convergence magnet assembly "cloverleaf" on my '64 "coffin" combo is really brittle - cracked in two places and held together with tape and tie wraps. Any more age and stress and it probably is gone forever. Afraid to tighten it down at this point. Actually I have another one in a restorable set that is just as bad, but would settle for one not so bad for now.

So, looking for one in better shape to buy. Any parts out there?

While we're on the subject, looking at these things makes me wonder if a 3-D printed replacement is feasible.

Findm-Keepm 08-31-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3142318)

Anyone familiar with the early Zenith roundies will recognize the reason for this want ad - the convergence magnet assembly "cloverleaf" on my '64 "coffin" combo is really brittle - cracked in two places and held together with tape and tie wraps. Any more age and stress and it probably is gone forever. Afraid to tighten it down at this point. Actually I have another one in a restorable set that is just as bad, but would settle for one not so bad for now.

While we're on the subject, looking at these things makes me wonder if a 3-D printed replacement is feasible.

I've got a buddy in the plastics business - he may know what plastic would be best - ABS softens (he has an ABS vacuum forming machine with a 440V 6'x8' heater), so it would probably be a composite plastic of some sort. It seems if a 3D printer can soften the filament, so would the neck temperatures.

I'm gonna ask - and no, I have no Zenith cloverleaf, or knowledge of where to find one.

DavGoodlin 09-01-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3142321)
I've got a buddy in the plastics business - he may know what plastic would be best - ABS softens (he has an ABS vacuum forming machine with a 440V 6'x8' heater), so it would probably be a composite plastic of some sort. It seems if a 3D printer can soften the filament, so would the neck temperatures.

I'm gonna ask - and no, I have no Zenith cloverleaf, or knowledge of where to find one.

A few of us were thinking about reproducing this and many other parts like RCA yoke covers with a 3D printer:sigh:

dieseljeep 09-01-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3142318)

What would be wrong with replacing the entire convergence magnet assembly, unless you want it to be super-pure!
Just the magnet assembly, not the convergence control panel. The magnet coils must be about the same or close.
IIRC, I have two of the last Zenith roundies and they have the same style coils as Magnavox and others. You know, the ones with the color-coded coils.
The replacements, I bought ages ago, were made of a different color plastic.
The Zenith distributor in Milwaukee, had just about everything you ever needed for the repair of Zenith products.

old_tv_nut 09-01-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3142369)
What would be wrong with replacing the entire convergence magnet assembly, unless you want it to be super-pure!
Just the magnet assembly, not the convergence control panel. The magnet coils must be about the same or close.
IIRC, I have two of the last Zenith roundies and they have the same style coils as Magnavox and others. You know, the ones with the color-coded coils.
The replacements, I bought ages ago, were made of a different color plastic.
The Zenith distributor in Milwaukee, had just about everything you ever needed for the repair of Zenith products.

Of course I meant the whole assembly. Although the frame itself might be sufficient, I'm not sure why anyone selling the frame would want to keep the coils without it. So, anything that fixes my problem.

miniman82 09-01-2015 02:01 PM

Question: I always hear about these things breaking apart on people, is it not possible to use the assembly off an RCA or other set? None of the ones on any of my sets are breaking down, seems like a more permanent fix is in order.

old_tv_nut 09-01-2015 02:11 PM

I don't know if different makers had different coils / inductances driven to different currents with different driving voltages. Eventually, the magnetic fields in the tube should be the same, but you might get the fields with lower current / more turns or higher current / fewer turns.

tvdude1 09-02-2015 04:56 PM

I found 2 from Moyer last month

old_tv_nut 09-02-2015 05:02 PM

what search terms do you use?

tvdude1 09-04-2015 07:09 PM

Moyer electronics in P.A. They have 3 stores ask for Bill he knows his old tvs

old_tv_nut 09-05-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvdude1 (Post 3142662)
Moyer electronics in P.A. They have 3 stores ask for Bill he knows his old tvs

Thanks.

Currently in the throes of closing on a house, haven't had time to even touch the set since Doug was here to plug it all back together.

reeferman 09-08-2015 09:38 PM

Wayne,
I have a NOS cloverleaf I'm saving for that "yet to find Zenith".
You are more than welcome to use it as a model for making reproductions.
PM me if interested.
Phil

old_tv_nut 09-09-2015 01:51 PM

That might be an interesting project IF I was retired already.

dieseljeep 09-09-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeferman (Post 3143055)
Wayne,
I have a NOS cloverleaf I'm saving for that "yet to find Zenith".
You are more than welcome to use it as a model for making reproductions.
PM me if interested.
Phil

What color is it? IIRC, the replacements were a different color than the originals. :scratch2:

reeferman 09-09-2015 10:34 PM

Nope, same color.