Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Expeditions & Passions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Electric Blanket Repair (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265803)

Dubis7 12-02-2015 01:32 PM

Electric Blanket Repair

3 Attachment(s)
I have a mid century (not sure of the year) Crown electric blanket. I'm pretty sure it's a rebranded sunbeam. It has a service tag saying to send it to a service center in Waynesboro MS, which is the same place the sunbeam blankets were sent. Is that place still in business? If not, are there other solutions? Mine is still working, but I figure getting it serviced is a good idea for safety.

old_tv_nut 12-02-2015 01:59 PM

If you think it's deteriorating generally due age, please do not attempt to use it any more. A repairer generally would look for a failure point (which you don't have) and assume the rest of it is OK. I don't believe a service center would replace the whole circuit, but you should ask first, as, if it is old, that is the only safe option.

dishdude 12-02-2015 02:04 PM

That's from the 90's. Not something you would want to repair or use and the blankets themselves they probably didn't repair, just the thermostat.

Dubis7 12-02-2015 03:27 PM

The 90s? Seriously? I thought that control was mid 60s as the latest.

Findm-Keepm 12-02-2015 03:35 PM

RN Number comes back as Northern Electric 5224 N KEDZIE AVE Chicago IL 60625.

Agree that it's likely from the late 80s/90s, based on the control.

Cheers,

Dubis7 12-02-2015 04:04 PM

Well jeeze, I really though it was mid century.

And the service centers are all gone now?

Findm-Keepm 12-02-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubis7 (Post 3150245)
Well jeeze, I really though it was mid century.

And the service centers are all gone now?

With a new twin sized blanket being 29.97 at Walmart, who has motivation to repair them? No volume, no warranty, and liability? Hardly a business plan for success. Shipping the blanket alone would be $15 at least one-way....

The newer models all have the CPSC-driven safety features., and use considerably less wattage, thanks to new technology controls, usually an IC-controlled triac versus a pot/triac or resistive thermostat such as yours.

Eric H 12-02-2015 05:46 PM

I'll keep warm the old fashioned way, with Cats.

http://www.repeatvids.com/video/?id=WD7lzCiDc04

Bill R 12-02-2015 05:49 PM

the Sunbeam plant in Waynesboro MS is now just another abandoned building. The new 4 lane highway doesn't even go through Waynesboro anymore.

Ed in Tx 12-02-2015 08:28 PM

here's why you should toss that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JNxvlriZU

I have one from the early '80s myself. I don't use it.

dieseljeep 12-03-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishdude (Post 3150237)
That's from the 90's. Not something you would want to repair or use and the blankets themselves they probably didn't repair, just the thermostat.

The firm where I worked as an electrician, used to buy a bale of used rags, probably discards from thrift shops. A lot of times, the bale would come wrapped with an electric blanket. Many of them would be so worn, that you could see the resistance wire. It looked like the core in a resistance line cord.
The one in question, looks like it's been washed several times.
When in doubt, throw it out! :boring:

Dude111 12-04-2015 11:01 PM

Boy I wish We had one!!!!

The other night I was chilly and wanted a heated blanket!!

Good luck getting her serviced :) (Examined,etc)

dieseljeep 12-05-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 3150419)
Boy I wish We had one!!!!

Thew other night I was chilly and wanted a heated blanket!!

Good luck getting her serviced :) (Examined,etc)

There still is new ones being made.
As I'm getting older, I like it a little warmer. I've never used one, even though, I slept in unheated bedrooms. You get better sleep when you generate your own heat. Plus it burns up calories. :thmbsp:

Ed in Tx 12-05-2015 09:45 AM

This thread cost me money! With this discussion, I gathered up the old Sunbeam electric blanket I bought in the early '80s (it's now in the To:Salvation Army bag, I figure they'll know what to do with it). I replaced it with a new "Soft and Warm" low voltage DC blanket. A bit expensive, but sure is nice! No more sleeping with an AC electromagnetic field around me. And I don't have to wonder if it will catch on fire.

dishdude 12-05-2015 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Tx (Post 3150433)
This thread cost me money! With this discussion, I gathered up the old Sunbeam electric blanket I bought in the early '80s (it's now in the To:Salvation Army bag, I figure they'll know what to do with it). I replaced it with a new "Soft and Warm" low voltage DC blanket. A bit expensive, but sure is nice! No more sleeping with an AC electromagnetic field around me. And I don't have to wonder if it will catch on fire.

:thmbsp: