Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   15GP22.... Good Evening Mr. and Mrs. America, and All the Ships at Sea . . FLASH!!!! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=246312)

ohohyodafarted 10-24-2009 01:02 PM

15GP22.... Good Evening Mr. and Mrs. America, and All the Ships at Sea . . FLASH!!!!

I just got a call from Scotty...........

THE 15GP22 REBUILD IS A SUCCESS!!!

Scotty was just as anxious to see of we had a success as all the rest of us. He got there at 5AM and pulled the tube out of the oven. He did a spark test on the tube with his Tesla coil and she is still under vacuum.

Scotty had other plans for the weekend and so will flash the getters and activate the cathodes on Monday. I will post more about how the guns test on Monday, but Scotty says the gun assembly looks VERY good. "Looks just like a new gun should"

I see no reason that we should have less than excellent news when the guns are tested for emmission after cathode activation.

So it looks like history was made today. I guess all collectors everywhere will have to mark October 24 2009 as a national holiday.

John and I would like to say THANK YOU for all the support and encouragement that that we have received from the collector community over the many years this project has taken. We will continue to update the collector community as things develop.

Bob Galanter and John Folsom
The 15GP22 Project

Bill Cahill 10-24-2009 01:11 PM

Yay!!!!!! :banana:

Congrats are in order! John, I can't wait to see the picture on that tube.
Bill Cahill

old_tv_nut 10-24-2009 01:16 PM

woohoo!

Tony V 10-24-2009 01:23 PM

This is GREAT news!

silverfox 10-24-2009 01:25 PM

Wonderful!!!

Bruce

Steve McVoy 10-24-2009 01:50 PM

You and John deserve the thanks of the entire collecting community. We really appreciate your massive contribution to the hobby, and to the preservation of history. Our great grandchildren will now be able to see CT-100s and other early color sets working.

Charlie 10-24-2009 02:27 PM

You guys are awesome!! Congradulations!!

:beerchug::grnbounce:banana::grnbounce:beerchug:

jeyurkon 10-24-2009 02:59 PM

Congratulations! :thmbsp: Like others, I'm anxiously awaiting the results of the activations on Monday and the first images.

I'm curious about the tesla spark test. What's the procedure?

Let's see, Scotty has other plans this weekend and Iowa is playing Michigan State tonight. Where might he be? :scratch2:

John

ohohyodafarted 10-24-2009 03:33 PM

Hi John,

The Tesla spark procedure is a hand held HIgh frequency high voltage generator. It has a metal probe about 4 inches long by 1/2" diameter and tapered to apoint.

The probe is placed against the neck of the tube, and if the tube is gassy, the neck of the tube will fluoresce. No fluorescence=good vacuum

Crude, but for crt quality purposes, it is good enough.

This is what it looks like

http://sciencekit.com/high-frequency...l/p/IG0024295/

Bob

leadlike 10-24-2009 04:15 PM

That's wonderful! I couldn't believe that Scotty was going to make us wait until Monday. Congratulations on a well-deserved success to all involved in this. I look forward to seeing this tube lighting up the night again with some of that great full-gamut color!

jr_tech 10-24-2009 04:40 PM

Great News! :banana::yes::banana::thmbsp::banana::yes::banana:

jr

Aussie Bloke 10-24-2009 05:02 PM

Congratulations mate!!!! :):):) This is bloody awesome news!!! :) With a successful tube rebuilding plant happening, imagine how many CT-100 sets can be restored to working order and other CTC sets and even other brands of early colour sets if the same principle can be used for their picture tubes :). Anyways I'm so glad to know these historic tubes can be rebuilt and I look forward to hearing more success stories with your tube rebuilding plant in the near future! :)

Dan Starnes 10-24-2009 05:42 PM

Congratulations and thanks for all you do!!

drh4683 10-24-2009 07:33 PM

Congratulations! Always great to hear success stories on in-depth technical projects! Look forward to seeing the CRT in operation.

jhalphen 10-24-2009 08:37 PM

Bob, John,

Total Congratulations! for success at the end of the Yellow Brick Road, to quote the NG's favorite movie.

Like everyone else, just aching to see pictures!

Kudos! to you guys for the obstination in the face of adversity and persisting with the effort during these long years.

As more tubes are rebuilt, it will be interesting to see if RCA modified the phosphor formulation during the brief lifespan of the 15G.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

PS: 02:27AM here (yawn) ;-)