Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Television Broadcast Gear (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Collecting 3D-Broadcast Glasses (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=247707)

NewVista 04-28-2010 12:00 PM

Collecting 3D-Broadcast Glasses

4 Attachment(s)
Here's my collection of 3D glasses from various TV events.
The best one was Superbowl XXIII (1989) which had "world's first 3D Ad" (Diet Coke) & 3D Halftime show. The 3D was excellent and the color fidelity good (later formats - red/blue glasses - have too much light/color attenuation).

The 1989 Coca-Cola glasses use Violet/light Amber combination and the surprising thing is these also create 3D from regular programs -- just like some glasses sold in the late '60's did (I owned a pair of those too).

Last pix: transferring 1989 Halftime show + Coke Ads to DVD (14 minutes).

leadlike 04-29-2010 03:26 AM

Cool glasses. I have a small collection of similar one-time only promo glasses somewhere. The super bowl ones are neat-they look like Pulfrich glasses rather than the usual anaglyph stuff.

I can't tell you how many times as a kid I would get all worked up over a rare 3D tv broadcast, only to have it look like crap. There was a broadcast of Hondo about twenty years ago that worked really well, and we still have the glasses from that event. 3D broadcasts have been improving-I was impressed with the Super Bowl ads from 2 years ago, even if the material was obnoxious. The Micheal Jackson tribute on one of the music awards shows was also an excellent use of 3D shot live.

NewVista 04-29-2010 10:20 AM

Do the Hondo glasses have the same tints as the Coca-Cola ? This would explain why it worked so well.

leadlike 04-29-2010 11:42 AM

It was anaglyph (red/green lenses). There were two designs: a die cut John Wayne version, and another with the Comanche chief. If I saw it today, I would probably call it a failure: distant vistas refused to come together properly, and up close objects also separated pretty badly. But there was enough together in the middleground to provide a nice sense of depth.

I never got a chance to see any Pulfrich broadcasts, though the concept sounds really neat.

My Dad has a nice pile of 3D glasses, most of them are pretty generic, although he claims to have some official Bwana Devil glasses that he got when he saw it as a kid.

Dave A 04-29-2010 05:12 PM

Somewhere I have the Hondo 3D broadcast and a set of the glasses. I remember taking it to my ballpark and trying it on my big instant-replay screen. Not good. There was some 3D but poor and the viewing distance (400') was probably a factor.

Aussie Bloke 04-29-2010 07:00 PM

Nice collection. I have recently seen Alice In Wonderland at one of the local cinemas in 3D, the 3D glasses given were not colour shaded at all, they look like normal nerdy black rimmed glasses. When wearing them the 3Dness was surreal especially with debris flying in the viewers direction I couldn't help but flinch lol. The 3D effect is kind of comparable to stereoscopy imagining in the 1900s. Anyways I've kept my pair and am hoping to make future use of them outside of the cinema.