Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Saved a free Zenith tube console on CL! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=152734)

kx250rider 03-05-2008 03:36 AM

Saved a free Zenith tube console on CL!

I answered a listing on the Los Angeles Craigslist free section for this "Old TV"... It was an estate sale, and the TV was a left-over! I didn't have a big interest in getting a rectangular 23" set, but this one for some reason caught my attention and I went down to the Westside and picked it up tonight.

It's in mint condition, to my surprise! Maple cabinet with legs. Even the dust is untouched. It belonged to an elderly lady, who had actually replaced it in 1988 with a 27" Zenith console. She had the delivery men move this one into a bedroom and hook it up. When I picked it up tonight, it was still plugged in and is said to be working. It looks like the last all-tube chassis (except IF module), with the oblong door below the screen for all the adjustments. Still says $ervice $aver Chassis on the back, so I guess maybe 1968?

I have no plan of where to put it or what I'll do with it, but it's safe at least. I picked it up in the truck that I don't drive much, and the truck is put away down in Chatsworth. So I probably won't get a chance to mess with it for awhile.

Bottom line: It pays to watch the free column on Craigslist :banana:

Charles

PS: Please excuse the terrible phone camera photo.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...Zenith23_4.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...Zenith23_2.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...Zenith23_3.jpg

zenithfan1 03-05-2008 07:00 AM

Nice save!!!

sampson159 03-05-2008 06:41 PM

of course that set plays! worked on many of those zeniths and all had an outstanding picture. bulletproof and indestructable! great find. pics in operation,please.

fsjonsey 03-05-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kx250rider (Post 1698485)
I answered a listing on the Los Angeles Craigslist free section for this "Old TV"... It was an estate sale, and the TV was a left-over! I didn't have a big interest in getting a rectangular 23" set, but this one for some reason caught my attention and I went down to the Westside and picked it up tonight.

It's in mint condition, to my surprise! Maple cabinet with legs. Even the dust is untouched. It belonged to an elderly lady, who had actually replaced it in 1988 with a 27" Zenith console. She had the delivery men move this one into a bedroom and hook it up. When I picked it up tonight, it was still plugged in and is said to be working. It looks like the last all-tube chassis (except IF module), with the oblong door below the screen for all the adjustments. Still says $ervice $aver Chassis on the back, so I guess maybe 1968?

I have no plan of where to put it or what I'll do with it, but it's safe at least. I picked it up in the truck that I don't drive much, and the truck is put away down in Chatsworth. So I probably won't get a chance to mess with it for awhile.

Bottom line: It pays to watch the free column on Craigslist :banana:

Charles

PS: Please excuse the terrible phone camera photo.

I have the exact same set, cabinet and all, sitting under a tarp in my garage. Is the scrollwork on the front plastic? Mine needs a set of filter caps.

drh4683 03-05-2008 07:50 PM

Nice find! Looks like its a 20BC50 chassis if I can read that tag right. If Im not mistaken, the 20BC50 chassis was the only zenith chassis to have the red label on the HV cage. If so, its a '71. I like the control dial layout on these models. Nice save.

Duane 03-06-2008 09:38 AM

Charles..what do you plan to do with this set? I may be interested in it if it is indeed a 1971 set and you want to let it go.

kx250rider 03-07-2008 10:44 AM

No developments yet... Still sitting in the truck. I probably won't hang onto it for the long term, but will enjoy giving it a once-over and cleaning it up. I think it's earlier than '71, since the 4-tube hybrids were around by then, as was the earliest solid state set.

I'll take a real camera with me and will get some better photos today if I get a chance. Also I'll verify the chassis #.

Charles

electroking 03-07-2008 10:48 AM

UHF strips?

Can someone explain the meaning of this label on the antenna
terminal board? Thanks in advance.

bgadow 03-07-2008 12:03 PM

This puzzled me for a long time, but I think I know...individual "strips" in the VHF tuner (each channel has a strip, the circuitry for each channel) could be swapped out for strips tuned to a UHF channel. This seems to be pretty rare...I do have an early 50s Emerson with local ch.16 subbed on one channel, and my Predicta has a label noting that 2 of the channels are UHF (forget the numbers off hand). Somewhere I have a jelly jar full of labels and I think maybe some strips to add ch.16 to some Zenith sets. I don't know how the UHF antenna would get hooked up for those strips. I would think this would be especially rare on these later models with UHF tuners; could be there for the benefit of import sets where UHF wasn't mandatory?

electroking 03-07-2008 04:09 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply, this seems to make a lot of sense. In case somebody
is wondering, UHF tuners became mandatory in Canada on sets sold starting
June, 1970. This is poorly documented on the web to say the least, but
it is something I seem to remember even though I was only nine at the time.

3Guncolor 03-08-2008 11:42 AM

Charles,
I feel that set is about a 71 just by looking at the knobs. Remember you can always tell with the model number on a Zenith "A"= 1970 "B"=1971 I bet that's a "B" line set. About the last Zenith with a tube video output. That chassis does have the Solid State chroma IC demod and IF module. It's one solid chassis I'm glad you were able to save it.