Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   September 1962 Zenith roundie ad (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269218)

old_tv_nut 06-24-2017 09:26 PM

September 1962 Zenith roundie ad

1 Attachment(s)
Zenith roundie ad in September 1962 Golf magazine - the earliest Zenith roundie ad I have seen.

Electronic M 06-24-2017 09:45 PM

1962 Was when their first consumer color chassis 29JC20 came out. I've got one and seen a few, but I can't say I've seen one with the remote option....Can't be many around.

reeferman 06-24-2017 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the same set, in living color. This is an amazing chassis as the CRT needs no convergence, purity, or lateral hardware! LOL.
The ones I worked on weren't quite this glitzy, but it was a good solid chassis.
Phil

old_coot88 06-25-2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeferman (Post 3185880)
...This is an amazing chassis as the CRT needs no convergence, purity, or lateral hardware!

:saywhat::Could you elaborate a bit more on that?:headscrat

jr_tech 06-25-2017 12:20 AM

Looks like it doesn't need a deflection yoke either... amazing Zenith engineering!

jr

Electronic M 06-25-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_coot88 (Post 3185887)
:saywhat::Could you elaborate a bit more on that?:headscrat

A mockery of the CRT in the ad image having a nothing on/connected to the CRT neck except for the CRT socket yet displaying a picture....The worlds only electrostatic deflection color roundy. :D

fixmeplease 06-25-2017 12:12 PM

Nice looking set. How dependable were they? I know the B&W's were bulletproof.

dieseljeep 06-25-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3185875)
1962 Was when their first consumer color chassis 29JC20 came out. I've got one and seen a few, but I can't say I've seen one with the remote option....Can't be many around.

One of my regular customers had one. The remote control chassis was still tube. The 5Y3 went bad and I didn't have one with me, so I used a 5U4, until I could get back. It was chancing it, as the power transformer isn't that large.
The set was probably ten years old at the time and the picture was still excellent, with the original RCA CRT.
I still don't know what the difference was between the 21FKP22 and the 21FJ. The FK was the CRT that was in Zeniths of the era! :scratch2:

Electronic M 06-25-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixmeplease (Post 3185900)

Mine still made shrunken color picture on it's original caps when I got it :thmbsp: Of course I gave it a partial recap soon after. Been using it couple years, and the only failures have been a few original lytic sections that initially tested good, and were left be.

fixmeplease 06-25-2017 02:07 PM

Thanks! I'll write the model down on my small list for when I decide to fix a color set. Maybe not as attractive of a cabinet as some RCA's but still real nice.

zeno 06-25-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixmeplease (Post 3185900)

Built like the B&W's. Only things that dry out are the hoz eff coil,
convergence adj coils & the conv yoke. Other than that physically
of tank ruggedness. Reliable & gives a great pix. Different than RCA
& its clones. A matter of taste. Most of these sets got junked in the
early 70's. Mostly a matter of getting the big rectangle pix & built
in UHF, not from being run into the ground.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

Jon A. 06-25-2017 06:08 PM

The first ad wouldn't have sold me on one of those. I mean, come on, golf? The only games I've found entertaining were played by Adam Sandler. Well, Brent, Hank and Lacey added a little fun to the game as well.

old_tv_nut 06-25-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3185921)
The first ad wouldn't have sold me on one of those. I mean, come on, golf? The only games I've found entertaining were played by Adam Sandler. Well, Brent, Hank and Lacey added a little fun to the game as well.

Aimed at those with a level of disposable income to support a golf habit and other such things.

Sandy G 06-25-2017 07:21 PM

I have heard the following story on Zenith TVs ever since I've been into old TVs. Anybody know if its true, or just a good story ?!? Supposedly, Cdr McDonald was not gonna get into TV, as he thought it was a passing fad. But, when NOBODY was gaining on sales of TVs, he took another look at things, & decided to jump in. But, he told his engineers he wanted a ZENITH tV. one that was built to Zenith levels of quality, & also used as few of the RCA patents as possible. THIS could be why an early Zenith TV is often VERY hard to kill, & why if given half a chance, they still give excellent service. Truth or BS ?!?

Jon A. 06-25-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3185922)
Aimed at those with a level of disposable income to support a golf habit and other such things.

That could be one reason the second ad was created, for those who were more into quality than excess.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 3185924)
I have heard the following story on Zenith TVs ever since I've been into old TVs. Anybody know if its true, or just a good story ?!? Supposedly, Cdr McDonald was not gonna get into TV, as he thought it was a passing fad. But, when NOBODY was gaining on sales of TVs, he took another look at things, & decided to jump in. But, he told his engineers he wanted a ZENITH tV. one that was built to Zenith levels of quality, & also used as few of the RCA patents as possible. THIS could be why an early Zenith TV is often VERY hard to kill, & why if given half a chance, they still give excellent service. Truth or BS ?!?

I don't know about the story but the last part is definitely true. Trouble is, very few appreciate them.