Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   First color program you ever saw? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=249397)

John Hafer 11-22-2010 02:14 PM

First color program you ever saw?

Anyone remember what their first color program they ever saw was and where they saw it?

For me, 1956 "The Perry Como Show" in NYC at a friend of a friends house.

The first color program I saw on our first color set was in December 1963, the show "You Don't Say", a quiz show on at 3:30 pm EST on NBC. We had our first 21" round tube color set delivered on that Monday morning and we turned it on to watch that quiz show. Then that night, we watched "Wagon Train" in color on ABC, then later, "Sing Along with Mitch" on NBC.

Ironically, the technican came the next day to "set up" our set.

oldtvman 11-22-2010 03:13 PM

1st color program I saw was some game show back in the late 50's and a football game in the 1957

Eric H 11-22-2010 03:15 PM

I can remember seeing The Brady Bunch on my Sisters TV back around 1969 or so.

The first time I actually sat down to watch a full movie in Color on TV was probably when they showed The Poseidon Adventure on TV for the first time (1973?), the set was an RCA.

My Sisters and I went to a friends house for that since we still didn't have a Color set at the time, and wouldn't for six or seven more years!

Sandy G 11-22-2010 04:28 PM

Prolly one of the Thanksgiving parades/football games on my grandad's 1965 Zenith in his office...

Dan Starnes 11-22-2010 05:18 PM

I am thinking I saw Dr. Kildare episode at a neighbors house, 1965? We didnt get a color set till 1972.

jr_tech 11-22-2010 05:24 PM

I really don't remember the program, but a CT-100 was set up in the lobby of a local theater, and people were invited to see some "first". It may have been the first color broadcast from the local station*, or just the first public showing of the color TV in the town. Whatever the occasion, it was a big deal, the lobby was very crowded, and cake and coffee/punch were served. The program was a dramatic presentation, not much interest to a kid, but the program was color (more or less).

After that, my first regular color viewing was in the mid 60s, when a bunch of the neighborhood kids would gather to watch Star Trek on the one set in the neighborhood (21" roundie Admiral). My wife and I still have fond memories of those early viewings. :yes:

jr

*Aug 11, 1954

wa2ise 11-22-2010 06:29 PM

Think my first was seeing cartoons in color on a color TV displayed at the electronics dept of the local "Two Guys" store in Hackensack NJ. This back around 1964. Two Guys was a chain operated by Vornado, who has since got out of the store business and concentrated in being a retail mall landlord. I thought the color of the cartoons was overdone, and they looked better in B&W.

old_tv_nut 11-22-2010 07:46 PM

I think the first color program I saw was a noon-time local show at NBC in Chicago, from their visitor's gallery overlooking the studio in the Merchandise Mart. Either that, or it was bits of programming on a color set at the RCA exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry.

Don't recall what we watched first in color at home. It was on a Motorola 20 inch (19 inch today) hybrid table model with a walnut grain vinyl covered metal cabinet, bought in 1966 through employee sales. The neighbors helped us watch it. I seem to recall that was one of the first tubes with an internal magnetic shield, which allowed for a smaller cabinet.

OvenMaster 11-22-2010 08:33 PM

If I recall, it was 1972, and the show was "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In". It was a 19" Zenith Chromacolor table model which literally went up in smoke within its first year.

Tom

kbmuri 11-22-2010 09:57 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...quest-logo.jpg

Robert Grant 11-22-2010 10:09 PM

My ability to remember things kicked in sometime after my grandparents got their CTC-16. I thought it was really cool, the one material possession I wanted for our house when I was really little. Seemed in those days (1967-68), Grandfather was always watching "The American Sportsman" when we were over to visit. He also liked to turn the "color" knob all the way clockwise - looked awful.
When my parents got the CTC-38 (December 6 1969), the first show we watched together was a figure skating event.

wkand 11-22-2010 10:19 PM

First Color Program You Ever Saw

It was either the 1965 Acadamy Awards, or "The Beverly Hillbillies" on my parents Zenith color roundie combo with the 25MC33 chassis, in 1965. They had just purchased it for $1,000 from Fredrick and Nelson in Seattle.

Sandy G 11-23-2010 06:10 AM

I also remember going to the1964-65 New York World's Fair, & going thru the pavillion where you could "SEE YOURSELF ON COLOR TV !!"...They had a moving sidewalk, & all the sheeple got to see themselves on several hapless CTC-15s or 16s, I guess...Poor things had been "on", at that point, for prolly close to 18 months, 24/7, & their tongues were hangin' out...Don't remember much except the pics were very distorted, & the people's faces were a rather sickening purplish/green...

sampson159 11-23-2010 09:40 AM

the first i can recall was a rose bowl parade around 1957?when we got a color set,it was the flintstones.the first movie that i watched in color was the wizard of oz.the coming of color was and still is in my opinion the greatest development in television history.the anticipation and excitement.those early sets delivered a fine color picture.we just couldnt keep our hands off the controls!

yagosaga 11-23-2010 10:24 AM

I remember seeing "The Virginian", also known as "The Men From Shiloh" in color when we were on a visit at my uncles home in 1970. I was ten years old. Three years later, I watched Star Trek at my friends home. My first working color tv set I get in 1977, it was from 1967, and the crt had a weak red gun. One year later, we bought a used eight-year-old hybrid tv, made in 1968.