Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   The Amateur Radio Spot (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   A bit of antenna building today. (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=257837)

catman 04-05-2013 03:51 AM

A bit of antenna building today.

G’day all, I got motivated today and managed to re-erect my old 80 m inverted V dipole at the grand top height of about 28 feet. It was a difficult job as my leg mobility and general leg function is worsening every day, but I was determined to successfully complete the job, which I did thankfully.

My previous long wire just didn’t ‘cut it’. Hopefully I’ll have a reasonable 80 m signal now. Regards, Felix (vk4fuq) aka catman.

bob91343 04-05-2013 12:16 PM

Great! That's what, in my opinion, ham radio is all about. Doing things yourself. The modern ham who uses his checkbook to get on the air is a travesty.

I am in the process of re-erecting my home brew 12/17 meter yagi. My linear amplifier failed and it's open on the bench; it seems to need an rf choke. Meanwhile I put my spare amplifier on line and immediately worked a half of a log page of great DX, including punching through a pileup to work Algeria from California, and nailing Antarctica on the first call. Great fun!

JBL GUY 04-06-2013 11:40 AM

I am glad you were able to complete your antenna.

I have several antenna projects on the to do list.

Location will be an issue. I must avoid the power, cable and phone lines.

I am not looking for an adventure in RFI with the neighbors.

Again, congratulations on accomplishing the installation of your new antenna.

Bill R 04-06-2013 03:03 PM

I hope to get a couple of towers up this year. If I get the money. I have 8 sections of Rhon 25 tower and one top section, but I dont have the real estate to put up a tower that tall due to the guy wires needed. I am thinking a couple of smaller towers. One for a new beam antenna, and one for a vertical.

radioactive 04-28-2013 11:23 AM

I too have space limitations at my new house and don't have the room to erect my faithful alpha delta dx ultra which requires 80ft. So now I'm on the lookout for a good vertical to cover the hf band.

bob91343 04-28-2013 12:42 PM

Nice radio! Looks like an NC-173 or NC-183 with an unusual dark panel scheme. Maybe it's an NC-183D.

I am on a city lot and have a 51 foot tower up, triband yagi on top, no guys needed for the Wilson crankup tubular job. A second pushup mast with the 12-17 yagi and several wire dipoles.

radioactive 04-28-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob91343 (Post 3067924)
Nice radio! Looks like an NC-173 or NC-183 with an unusual dark panel scheme. Maybe it's an NC-183D.

I am on a city lot and have a 51 foot tower up, triband yagi on top, no guys needed for the Wilson crankup tubular job. A second pushup mast with the 12-17 yagi and several wire dipoles.

It is indeed a nc-183d.