Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ugly! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=252629)

WCF720 11-16-2011 11:36 AM

Ugly!

Weird how things happen! So, the CTC-11 is nearly complete, awaiting some tweaks to bring it back to watchable condition. A friend of mine who knew of my CTC-11 project wondered if I wanted another “Roundie”. I said sure, I’d look at it but my criteria for additional roundies are tight: either something blond, or a model older than the 11 I already own.

He found a CTC-9F! I got it home last evening, and I don’t want to start a spew of banter about style, but this thing is ugly! That is my opinion. It’s a “Paterson”, model 210 CK 916. This thing is so ugly; you have to appreciate it for how hideous it looks! Who was the industrial designer who ‘thunk’ this thing up!? I think it was a fantastic find; its odd design appeals to me, walnut cabinet, 3-speaker “Panoramic sound”, safety glass so no cataract to contend with! There are other more “furniture-like” sets that don’t appeal to me at all. I like the traditional, simplistic designs of TV’s and console radios – radios that look like radios, and TV’s that look like TV’s, not TV’s that have that carved up French Provincial look, yuck!

Sandy G 11-16-2011 11:50 AM

Ugly is as ugly does, I think it looks GREAT...If you don't want it, I think I could find a place here in my heart-Or living room- to love it, pet it, play w/it 'n' call it "George"...(grin)

zenithfan1 11-16-2011 12:00 PM

I think it's utsukushi!:)

Sandy G 11-16-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenithfan1 (Post 3018642)

Uhh, say WHAT ?!? (grin)

Phil Nelson 11-16-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCF720 (Post 3018637)
3-speaker “Panoramic sound”

Some Philco Miss America B/W consoles from around that time have a similar design, which they called Wrap-Around Sound:

http://antiqueradio.org/art/PhilcoAd...t1957Page2.jpg

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

WCF720 11-16-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenithfan1 (Post 3018642)

Beautiful!? 私は同意する!

@Sandy, I could never give this one up -- it's defiantly a keeper!

@Phil, my CTC11 has the Hi-Fi sound, but never really sounded that good -- I'd reserve final judgement on it after the sound gets a realignment. Once the 11 is completed -- only then will I tackle the Paterson CTC9...

My friend who found the 9 for me says "I've been bitten". He might be right!! :yes:

zenithfan1 11-16-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCF720 (Post 3018653)
Beautiful!? 私は同意する!

kore wa tadashii desu
That is correct!

Adam 11-16-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCF720 (Post 3018653)
Beautiful!? 私は同意する!

Well, if you guys can type in Japanese ...

sha6-sha6-ga he2-am3
nga2-e eme-gi7 mu-sar

Nice looking set. There seem to be a lot of roundies about lately, I'm going to be picking up a 9 this weekend too.

miniman82 11-16-2011 06:19 PM

I had a -9F once, The Atherton. This one you have sure is....interesting.

reeferman 11-16-2011 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ugly?! If you want to see ugly look at what was sitting in the owner's driveway.:D
Phil

Kevin Kuehn 11-16-2011 07:57 PM

Hi Bill,

Glad to see you got this one. I think this is a really nice example of art deco, or something very close to it. :D

I thought for sure this was going to be a CTC 10, but I guess a 9 makes it even more desirable.

I wonder if you can pull the CRT straight out the back of this cabinet, or do you need to drop it down to clear the rear part of the cabinet? Pretty funky cabinet for sure. Looks to be in very nice condition.

Please show us many more photos as time permits.

Kevin

Terry T 11-16-2011 08:37 PM

oh, I dunno,

There was a time where I would have thought that it was ugly. Now I think it's the coolest color roundie I've seen!

Electronic M 11-16-2011 08:54 PM

I think that it is cool. it is like someone in the 50's saw a modern flat screen wondered what it would look like hung off a console, liked it, and then built a console to look like that.

If it had sat on CL until after my college finals week I'd have tried to convince my folks to let me get it.

sampson159 11-17-2011 07:37 AM

that edsel is really not ugly.i worked on a few of those and they were actually very smooth riding,powerful cars with many innovations.they were no uglier than some of the other cars back then,especially the rambler line.i think the ctc 9 pictured was a little unusual but not ugly.strange,weird,yes,but ugly,no.of course when i was young i thought phyllis diller was kind of hot!

Kamakiri 11-17-2011 08:05 AM

I had two '59 Edsels, a Ranger 2 door sedan, and a Ranger 4 door hardtop. Realistically, I don't think that many manufacturers made an uglier car. My '58 Ranger, though, was sexay :D