Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique phonographs (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Newcomb TR-16A (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=248620)

Bill Cahill 08-20-2010 12:04 PM

Newcomb TR-16A

Here's one of my favorite record players. 1947 Newcomb. Two speed.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1/DSCF0137.jpg
Bill Cahill

radiotvnut 08-20-2010 05:44 PM

Nice! I have the mid-late '50's 4 speed version of this player. I'm sure these models from the '40's are hard to find today. One day, I hope to find one of these as well as one of the maroon R12 models.

Bill Cahill 08-20-2010 06:09 PM

I feel very lucky to have 5 of the Maroon R12 models. Two are from my grade school.
One is a late 4 speed in maroon, one is similar to school machines, and, I have an odd ball early one with a diamond shaped spkr cut out. Everything is mounted on rubber shocks.
Bill Cahill

radiotvnut 08-21-2010 12:45 AM

I think Newcomb made a variation of the R12 for many, many years. They made several maroon versions, followed by the newer models in grey or tan cases, then the RT12, which was a solid state version. I never really cared for the solid state newcomb's. They were decent performers; but, the amplifiers were much harder to work on than the tube amps. I used to have a late tube type newcomb model ED10 from the early '70's (?). It used a SE 6V6 amp and was housed in the newer beige case with the red and blue "N" badge. For a little 5 watt amp, it sounded really nice. A friend of mine, who has helped me out over the years, needed something to play 78's on and I gave him that record player. I don't know exactly when Newcomb stopped making tube record players; but, I used to have a '71 electronics master catalog that still had some tube models listed (both the transcription players and the smaller classroom models).

Bill Cahill 08-21-2010 11:28 AM

It just amazes me how many updates they made on their machines. Even the transcription players.
TR-16A 10 watt amp. Type transcription player. Case: Maroon. Single 12" spkr. in removable lid. 25' spkr. cord.
Treble, bass, phono vol., and, mike vol.
2 mike jacks. uses GE magnetic cartridge.
Mechanism: 2 spd. 78-33.
Variable speed, but, no strobe.
10" turntable with fluff coating.
Power on light on front panel of amp.

R-12. First version I have. Maroon.
3 speed. Grey metal. Primitive tone arm hard mounted on a seperate panel, shock mounted.
Motor mech. shock mounted.
Spkr. shock mounted on rubber grommets, instead of springs.
No springs in cabinet feet. Cut out for 6"X9" spkr. is diamond shaped. 5 watt amp.
R-12 Similar to later ones. Maroon, but, still with primitive tone arm. 3 Wheel system with idler wheel.
R-12 later version. My school's machines. Same drive system 3 speed. Improved amp. Trimmer, lighter tone arm.
Last one.
R-12. 4 speed. Maroon case. Improved amp. LIghter tone arm.
Single idler wheel.

TR-25.
I have Two. One restored, other not finnished.
On all three transcriptions interesting way of varying speed pitch.
On earliest one, the TR-16, and, one of these, motor has a secondary winding wound in reverse that connects through two high wattage pots, to the 6 volt winding on power transformer. It actually slows motor down. The oneTR-25 with this motor is a 3 speed.
25 watt amp. Phono treble, phono bass, , phono vol., Mike 1 vol. Mike one bass, Mike 2 volume.
Maroon top, maroon double spkrs, grey bottom. Maroon painted metal.
Tone arm grey with adjustable weight for lp's, and, 45's.
Lighted speed strobe.
Other TR- 25. Basically the same except the following.
4 speed.
Motor speed pitch is done by a permanent magnet between two steel brackets. An aluminum disc on motor shaft goes in middle.
It works, but, since it works by magnetism, you get a strong ozone like smell out of it.

They were doing alot in those days to try to put out a better product.
These early machines were actually very good. I also know they offered an expensive set of speakers in the 50's that were 4 seperate speakers,
and, they also offered a 3 way spkr. systme.

Bill Cahill

Jeffhs 08-23-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiotvnut (Post 2981006)
Nice! I have the mid-late '50's 4 speed version of this player. I'm sure these models from the '40's are hard to find today. One day, I hope to find one of these as well as one of the maroon R12 models.

In 1970 or so I had a Newcomb player in the maroon cabinet (don't recall the model), four speeds IIRC. I had lots of vinyl records in those days, so I played this unit for all it was worth! Should have kept it, but it got lost in a move in 1972. :no: That player would have been a classic today.

Bill Cahill 08-23-2010 07:30 PM

I was sent an e mail yesterday that is views of some pages from catalogs from 1951, and, 1959.
I gleanned a few prices based on the somewhat confusing aray of improved models.
Here is what I got.
All original prices from '51.
TR-16 179.99 Maroon case 2 speed Single semi permanent needle in GE magnetic cartridge. 10 watt
TR-16C Maroon 3 spd. Maroon 10 watt 2 needle GE Magnetic cartridge 199.99
TR 16A Maroon 3 spd. 10 watt Crystal cartridge. 169.99

TR-25 AM 25 watt 3 Spd. Strobe turntable.Grey case, Maroon top, and, two maroon spkrs. 299.99

The TR-16's all had adjustable speed, but, no strobe.
Bill Cahill

KentTeffeteller 10-17-2010 03:50 PM

Be nice to see some scans of Newcomb literature. They made better than average school phonographs. I saw a early-middle 1970's Newcomb today in very nice condition for $59. I am likely going to buy it for 78 use. It does have tape outputs and pitch control and a fairly light arm for such phonos.