Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage Home Gaming (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Fix for PlayStation jumping screen on a Zenith TV? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=266901)

RCAZenith 05-02-2016 02:37 PM

Fix for PlayStation jumping screen on a Zenith TV?

I ran into this for the first time the other day with my recently acquired Zenith Custom Series TV from 1987. I hooked my recently acquired PSX (old style PlayStation 1) to the Zenith and the screen never quit jumping. Is there a mod I can have done to my PSX to stop this or should I buy a Third game room TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoogarXR 05-02-2016 02:51 PM

Back in the 90s I had a 83 Zenith projection TV that jumped when I connected a PS1 to it. I had a PC with an ATI All-in-wonder card. I ran the playstation into the video-in, and connected the TV to the TV-out on the PC. It worked fine like that.

I realize that's not a solution that would probably work for everybody, but it's a start ;)

RCAZenith 05-02-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoogarXR (Post 3161678)
Back in the 90s I had a 83 Zenith projection TV that jumped when I connected a PS1 to it. I had a PC with an ATI All-in-wonder card. I ran the playstation into the video-in, and connected the TV to the TV-out on the PC. It worked fine like that.

I realize that's not a solution that would probably work for everybody, but it's a start ;)

Sounds like it would cause some crazy lag. This is one of the cheaper Zenith tvs without on screen display or vertical hold. I'm tempted to buy yet another tv...

dishdude 05-02-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCAZenith (Post 3161680)
I'm tempted to buy yet another tv...

Sounds like a good plan to me! :thmbsp:

CoogarXR 05-03-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCAZenith (Post 3161680)
Sounds like it would cause some crazy lag. This is one of the cheaper Zenith tvs without on screen display or vertical hold. I'm tempted to buy yet another tv...

Nope, it was dead-on. I finished several games that way (FF7, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, etc). The only loss was a slight bit of clarity. But on an 83 projection TV, clarity is but a dream, lol.

RCAZenith 05-03-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoogarXR (Post 3161728)
Nope, it was dead-on. I finished several games that way (FF7, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, etc). The only loss was a slight bit of clarity. But on an 83 projection TV, clarity is but a dream, lol.

I'm tempted to switch my symphonic BPC tv into the game room and put the zenith In my bedroom. Otherwise I will get a 9-13" CRT set that is a little bit older just for the PSX lol.

MRX37 05-03-2016 01:03 PM

Hm. The image jumping reminds me of the Playstation 2 but that was due to DVD copy protection, not an issue with the PS1

Try an RF modulator, either one for a PSX or one that you can plug its AV cables into.

old_tv_nut 05-03-2016 11:01 PM

This is likely a problem with the particular version of Zenith chassis - a countdown IC for V and H drive that doesn't recognize that the game signal is non-standard and doesn't switch to independent H and V. Manufacturers invented countdown sync circuits that were absolutely noise immune on a standard signal and could sync when the signal was so weak that your eye couldn't recognize it - then they got socked with games and VCRs with non-standard sync and had to degrade the circuits to follow the VCR head switch timing and non-standard game sweep frequencies. So, from time to time there were short periods when new sources came out and the TV makers had to scramble to cope with what the game hardware designers did.

RCAZenith 05-04-2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3161822)
This is likely a problem with the particular version of Zenith chassis - a countdown IC for V and H drive that doesn't recognize that the game signal is non-standard and doesn't switch to independent H and V. Manufacturers invented countdown sync circuits that were absolutely noise immune on a standard signal and could sync when the signal was so weak that your eye couldn't recognize it - then they got socked with games and VCRs with non-standard sync and had to degrade the circuits to follow the VCR head switch timing and non-standard game sweep frequencies. So, from time to time there were short periods when new sources came out and the TV makers had to scramble to cope with what the game hardware designers did.

I'll try an RF modulator, but it will have to wait until I get my PS2 back. I loaned it out (with the durn component jacks) and all I have is the RF switch (given the design of the PS1's RF switch, it appears to be a modulator.) strangely, this tv worked with my Atari and my NES toploader which put out much weaker signals, btw.

Sony used to mod the PSX consoles back in the day for customers to play on their zenith sets. I can't find one of the daughter boards they used to use anywhere to fix this, though.

zenith2134 05-12-2016 09:26 PM

Hi,
I own a 1986 Zenith 19" color set 9-470 mainboard. It is used for DVD viewing .
If I attempt to set the onscreen clock on the dvd player, it rocks up n down haha it is actually cool and funny..Z!
It came from a dead guy who used it analog OTA pre 2009.
Great set though...even VHS will not bother it.

RCAZenith 05-13-2016 07:58 AM

Fix for PlayStation jumping screen on a Zenith TV?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenith2134 (Post 3162488)
Hi,

I own a 1986 Zenith 19" color set 9-470 mainboard. It is used for DVD viewing .

If I attempt to set the onscreen clock on the dvd player, it rocks up n down haha it is actually cool and funny..Z!

It came from a dead guy who used it analog OTA pre 2009.

Great set though...even VHS will not bother it.

That the same thing that the PS1 does during gameplay (but not while showing the Sony logos at the beginning...)

What is the model # on yours?

zenith2134 05-13-2016 02:21 PM

C1908 I believe. It is the last series Zenith color set to use a rotary tuner.

RCAZenith 05-13-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenith2134 (Post 3162536)
C1908 I believe. It is the last series Zenith color set to use a rotary tuner.

Sounds about right. I have heard of some made as late as '92 with rotary knobs and non-cable ready.

Mine is a v3912w set with a push-button keypad style tuner and a single coaxial input.

What kind of shape is your CRT in? Mine is kinda weak, but it's still going.

zenith2134 05-13-2016 07:43 PM

Mine doesn't have coaxial input; only twin lead 300ohm screws.
The CRT is very strong. It had a purity issue which I solved with a small magnet taped to the bell of the tube.

RCAZenith 05-13-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenith2134 (Post 3162562)
Mine doesn't have coaxial input; only twin lead 300ohm screws.

The CRT is very strong. It had a purity issue which I solved with a small magnet taped to the bell of the tube.

What were the symptoms that you were getting?