Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My "new" 1954 CTC2B 21CT55 21" roundie (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=264373)

walterbeers 05-29-2015 03:15 PM

My "new" 1954 CTC2B 21CT55 21" roundie

6 Attachment(s)
Yes, I acquired a CTC2B, which I consider is probably the second most coveted 21 inch roundie among collectors. The model is 21CT55, and it is in really great shape considering it's well over 60 years old. The set was listed on Craigslist and was located in Iowa about 25 miles from me. I was told it originally came from Las Vegas from an estate. My friend Jamie from VK (jstout) found the listing as he new I was interested in trying to restore a very early color set. The seller even agreed to deliver it, so with the help of Jamie and the seller, they brought it over to my house while I was at work. I came home to find quite the surprise. Best of all the set is in really good shape, and I believe it doesn't even have that many hours of use on it. Yes, the top of the cabinet needs to be refinished, but the sides (although scratched) could be touched up and refinished if necessary. Best of all the chassis is mint, almost like it has seen very light use. The CRT was replace about three years after it was new, so probably around 1957. I hooked up my Beltron, and guess what, not only is the CRT under vacuum, it tests .9 on all three guns, although the blue and green are kind of slow warming up. I lowered the filament voltage to 5 volts and for the most part it stayed right at the top of the meter for emission, and has no short indications. Next I looked at the flyback and can't see any burn't spots, so I am hoping that it is good and usable as well. The CRT is a 21AXP22 dated 35-57. (1957). Chassis looks really good, except some rust on the small tube shields and the ballast resistor. The yoke cover of course like most of them is crumbling, but that is to be expected. Metal back and knobs are all there, along with the cord, front bezel and logos, and the wiring inside looks really good, and doesn't seem to be brittle. Right now I'm in "seventh heaven" however it will probably be put on the back burner for a bit until I finish some other projects that I have going on. The problem that I have right now is where to start with this project. Do I bring it up slowly on a variac, or do I pull the chassis and start changing caps, testing tubes, looking for defective parts, and give it a good cleaning up. (60+ years of dust and oxidation). I did find that one of the HV rectifier tubes was cracked, (3A2) but that's no big deal. There is some dirt built up between the safety glass and the mask, but honest, it's just dirty and can be cleaned up. I don't see any signs of infestation, (rodents, bugs, etc). Any input and suggestions from anyone who has worked on and has experience with these old CTC2s, is appreciated. Apparently this model chassis is similar to the sets that used the 15GP22, and was modified to accept the larger 21 inch tube. It's going to be a long project for me, (maybe years), but I hope to see a nice color picture on it someday.

DaveWM 05-29-2015 03:25 PM

Nice!

rca2000 05-29-2015 03:27 PM

You STOLE that set Walter !! $100 for a 21-ct-55 WITH a good TUBE ?

walterbeers 05-29-2015 03:36 PM

Many thanks to my friend Jamie for helping me find this

If it had not been for him searching the web, I probably would not have found this set. He has helped me out with many situations, finding retro electronics, and doing repairs and restorations on several of his units. He is on VideoKarma as jstout. When I need a hand lifting or moving a heavy piece of equipment he is always there to help out.

Also many thanks to my friend Rick, (titan1A also on VK) a friend for over 30 years, who is also a collector of retro stereos, hi-fi, old radios, computers, and other electronics. He is the one I restored an old 1938 Zenith console radio for, and he did a lot of the leg work searching for parts and information for it. When I have a computer problem that I get stuck on, he's always there to offer advice.

I also thank the people who keep this website going. Everyone on here is due thanks for all of the info and advice that I find interesting, useful and informative.

walterbeers 05-29-2015 03:40 PM

Got it cheap

Quote:

Originally Posted by rca2000 (Post 3134879)
You STOLE that set Walter !! WITH a good TUBE ?

I did give the seller an additional $20 for gas money and time for hauling the set to my place.

Username1 05-29-2015 04:24 PM

Yah - you stole that ! ! Good deal and a good tube too ! !
I would rather have that set over a ct100...... All that cabinet
and a bigger screen ! Fire it up, post some pictures ! !

jr_tech 05-29-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walterbeers (Post 3134875)
Yes, I acquired a CTC2B, which I consider is probably the second most coveted 21 inch roundie among collectors. The model is 21CT55, and it is in really great shape considering it's well over 60 years old. Best of all I got it for only $100.

WOW! What a find! But what 21" roundie would you consider to be more coveted among collectors? Seems to me that the Very rare 21CT55 is at the very top of the 21" list!

jr

Electronic M 05-29-2015 04:44 PM

Dang! I wish I had the kinda luck and friends you've got.

In your shoes I'd pull the deflection output tubes, put a meter the high B+ rail, and variac it up till that B+ rail reaches spec, or signs of trouble appear. If it goes good scope the Horizontal osc. If that is good reinstall the sweep tubes, and power it up while monitoring cathode current of the H out tube (the schematic should be on the ETF's site and should give you the safe max cathode current spec).

I don't know of a more desirable 21" color set. The 21CT55 was the first of them....Built in response to other companies coming out with 19" CRT loosely based on the 15GP, but containing many new innovations the 15G lacked....That and when a customer shells out what one of those cost they want the biggest screen they can get.

rca2000 05-29-2015 04:50 PM

I have seen these sets with UNKOWN tubes go for OVER 1K..and one with a GOOD tube got over 2K IIRC at the ETF some years back...

hi_volt 05-29-2015 04:55 PM

Wow! Super nice find! :drool:

etype2 05-29-2015 05:00 PM

Congratulations, really nice.

MRX37 05-29-2015 05:26 PM

You lucky SOB...

I really want to see this set restored and playing.

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...9&d=1432930075

Scratch that, you ridiculously lucky SOB!!

Seriously, i hope you can get it running, and provide lots of pics to show off its colors.

Steve D. 05-29-2015 05:51 PM

Walter,

I was in touch w/Jamie earlier today before he turned the 21-CT-55 over to you. I had sent him a link to the SAMS. Here it is just in case you didn't get it.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/R...Sams-300-8.pdf. Best w/ this project. Be very careful powering it up. Don't want to damage any unobtainable parts. Also, this is the only ad for your set I have ever come across: http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/rca_21ct55_ad.pdf

-Steve D.

Sandy G 05-29-2015 06:18 PM

Ahh HATE Yew...-Y. Sam, Philosopher Extraordinaire... Seriously, you oughta go buy a BUNCH of lotto tickets w/THAT kind of luck... And I think I can say w/o fear of contradiction that-1) We're ALL tickled pink for you, & 2) WE wanna see it restored to "Glorious Lollipop Color" ASAP...(grin)

Tom S 05-29-2015 06:21 PM

Congrats man. great looking set. I'd say bring it up slow and go for it. My CTC10 is playing fantastic. I just recapped it in January. All the litics. Plays like a dream with a great tube to. I've had it 3 yrs now. I'd clean all the controls first then put the power up on it.