Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early B&W and Projection TV (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   General electric Tv from early 1950's (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=250322)

enrico6v6 02-28-2011 06:45 AM

General electric Tv from early 1950's

1 Attachment(s)
Hello! Cleaning a basement I found this old General Electric Tv, I want to restore it but ther is no model number on it, unfortunately tags and back cover are missing, like some of the tubes. Out of this it looks to be in decent shape. It shows an uncommon EHV stage, with three rectifier tubes. Main rectifier is selenium type. If anyone have an idea about its name, and/or have the schematic or the tube list, please let me know! Thanks! Enrico.

miniman82 02-28-2011 09:01 AM

Looks like the tube has been necked.

TV Engineer 02-28-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniman82 (Post 2996308)
Looks like the tube has been necked.

On what do you base your opinion?

Eric H 02-28-2011 10:36 AM

I think the shadowing is actually tint on the safety glass, a necked tube wouldn't have a nice square pattern like that.

Bill Cahill 02-28-2011 10:54 AM

I've seen tubes like that when neck was knocked off. Takes all, but, a small amount ot the phosphor.
Look at phosphor on bottom.
"Chop off their heads!"
Bill Cahill

David Roper 02-28-2011 11:32 AM

That darkening you see extends past the corners of the tube; I second optical illusion.

zenithfan1 02-28-2011 11:43 AM

It looks like the safety glass is really dirty with that black dirt and smoke we often see clinging to the glass. I don't think the tube is necked either.

bgadow 02-28-2011 10:25 PM

If nothing else works to identify it, there is a hard way: draw a picture of the chassis showing every tube that you can identify. There were a bunch of do-it-yourself TV repair books in the 50s that featured pages and pages of chassis diagrams. I think Sams might have had some decent books geared towards servicemen that did the same thing. I have some of those books and could go hunting. Of course, somebody on here might have a similiar set and that would make it easy.

As for the crt, looks okay to me.

enrico6v6 04-04-2011 07:09 AM

Hello too all, I'm back now. I recognized that this is a Ge mod 21C201 or another similar with the same chassis. I also found and bought the SAMS photofact on ebay for 5$ so I'm ready to try to restore. CRT is not necked, it is intact and has still a good emission on tube checker, but there is a lot of dirt on tube surface and internal face of safety glass. Unfortunately I assume that it will be necessary remove the crt for cleaning, glass appears to be not removable by the front. I will do it after repaired, remove a 70 degrees 21"CRT mounted on the wood case and not on the chassis appears me to be a unplesable work. I hope to find another way when the chassis will be removed.

Findm-Keepm 04-04-2011 07:41 AM

I had one of those GE's, 1953, IIRC. I rescued it at a yard sale here in my own neighborhood for $1.50. Do you have the matching wood base it sits on? My rescued one was complete, with original caps, knobs, tubes and flyback. After a recap (14 caps total) and a reform of the electrolytics, I fired it up to a vertical hold problem, solved by adjusting the vertical height back to where it belonged. It ran for two evenings (one by mistake!) and I gave it away to another local collector who had room for it. Since then, only a sound problem has popped up, more likely an AGC issue.

Great find, great set, and a breeze to recap. I'd replace the electrolytics and the selenium rectifier - I didn't, but I recommend it for reliability.

Cheers,

enrico6v6 04-29-2011 06:35 AM

I opened mine during easter weekend (it actually sit in my holiday house due to scarce room problems) and found that someone has installed new electrolytics in it, mounted on an added subchassis and lefting its original disconnected in place. It's an old modification, I think this was done during the 60's or early '70's. Out of this appears to be original. I completed it with two tube that were missing and fired through a variac. After electrolytic reformation I was able to hear audio, but EHV is not present. During next summer holidays I will remove the chassis for try to repair and clean front glass, I think I have to remove even the CRT for do this :(

electroking 04-29-2011 08:25 AM

Nice project, hope you can get it to completion someday. Will be getting back to
this thread. Good luck!