Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   How old is vintage? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=261828)

rodmonster 06-10-2014 08:35 AM

How old is vintage?

Ok... I am a collector of ALL things from the 1980s and back. Very few exceptions that I allow up tot 1992 (high school graduation).
As I was getting my 1971 Sylvania Tv fixed up I started to wonder where we cut the line for vintage.
As we move forward and time rolls on ... things that we don't consider vintage or antique slowly creep up on us and ultimately will be.
So my question is where do you cut off you definition of vintage?
For me with TVs it is anything from the mid 80s (when they were slowing the true wood consoles) and back.
With radios I am more forgiving since I grew up in the LP / 8track / cassette age. So I go up to the early 90s.

Where do you stand?

maxhifi 06-10-2014 08:41 AM

Antique? Pre - WW-II
Vintage? Pre-1970
Old? Pre - 1980

Just my two cents... Obviously those titles are dynamic

Jon A. 06-10-2014 03:36 PM

Depends on the age of the collector too I would think. Many TVs still in regular use when I was a kid were late 70s-mid 80s models. Early 70s-very early 80s models would be vintage to me. My '88 Zenith console? Older, but not really old. Looks like it could be an '85. Anything with A/V inputs as standard equipment is too new for me.

Username1 06-10-2014 03:41 PM

old= it still works, you can get a station on it, but its odd to operate. Or is has
a stick shift. Or requires knowledge yer kids don't have to operate it. Like a cassette tape
recorder/player.

Vintage= It don't work without some finesse of the mechanical parts, or it has a
mechanical tuner, and no remote, so most kids can't get it to turn on..... Needs an
older adult to activate it. Or it has a stick shift.

Antique= You need to get out the tool bag and some sort of spray to get it going.
It has a choke, a hand brake, and crank windows. Kids can't run it, or are also afraid
they will die in it cause they can't operate the windows. It has enough metal to block texts,
kids don't like to be near it. Or it has rabbit ears that need to be moved erratically to get a picture,
kids get scared and run out of the room seeing the moving
metal things coming out of the top of it. Or it has a stick shift, no power brakes. No Radio.

maxhifi 06-10-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username1 (Post 3106511)
old= it still works, you can get a station on it, but its odd to operate. Or is has
a stick shift. Or requires knowledge yer kids don't have to operate it. Like a cassette tape
recorder/player.

Vintage= It don't work without some finesse of the mechanical parts, or it has a
mechanical tuner, and no remote, so most kids can't get it to turn on..... Needs an

Antique= You need to get out the tool bag and some sort of spray to get it going.
It has a choke, a hand brake, and crank windows. Kids can't run it, or are also afraid
they will die in it cause they can't operate the windows. It has enough metal to block texts,
kids don't like to be near it. Or it has rabbit ears that need to be moved erratically to get a picture,
metal things coming out of the top of it. Or it has a stick shift, no power brakes. No Radio.

Come on man, my 2013 car has a stick shift, and roll down windows :)

Username1 06-10-2014 06:31 PM

Yer car is old, but not yet vintage...... I think the 2016's are out next month...

Sandy G 06-10-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username1 (Post 3106511)
recorder/player.

Hehehehehehehe..Ain't it Th' Truth !

maxhifi 06-11-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username1 (Post 3106527)
Yer car is old, but not yet vintage...... I think the 2016's are out next month...

3 on the tree now that is old :)

Jon A. 06-11-2014 02:06 AM

Let's not forget the old semis that have three shift levers, yikes.

Reece 06-11-2014 09:18 AM

Anything with no snyc, double-clutching.

Username1 06-11-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhifi (Post 3106574)
3 on the tree now that is old :)

Now I was gunna edit my thing and add this to "antique"

Funny you said that !

And that double clutching, well that's an added talent ! ! !

I don't think any of today's shift-o-fobes can even grasp the need for it...

maxhifi 06-11-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username1 (Post 3106605)
Now I was gunna edit my thing and add this to "antique"

Funny you said that !

And that double clutching, well that's an added talent ! ! !

I don't think any of today's shift-o-fobes can even grasp the need for it...

Nah, antique would require manually retarding the spark to start it with a crank ... Three on the tree is flat out vintage. The six speed manual transmission with a hydraulic clutch in my new car? Anyone with a touch of common sense could operate it, couldn't be easier.

old_coot88 06-11-2014 02:56 PM

Here's a real set of vintage wheels for y'all. :bigok:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-or...-ro-1588212852

Jon A. 06-11-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_coot88 (Post 3106618)
Here's a real set of vintage wheels for y'all. :bigok:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-or...-ro-1588212852

Now there's something I would just throw a seat cover in, do the necessary safety work on and otherwise drive as-is.

maxhifi 06-11-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3106627)
Now there's something I would just throw a seat cover in, do the necessary safety work on and otherwise drive as-is.

70 year old tires :) it needs to be put in a car museum