Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Heathkit Roundie (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=261867)

hi_volt 06-14-2014 04:49 PM

Heathkit Roundie

1 Attachment(s)
Making a road trip tomorrow to hopefully pick up this Heathkit roundie set a little south of me. Not that I have the room for it, but it looks like it might be in pretty good shape.

Seller also has a Fada 930 set, but no pix.....

tvcollector 06-14-2014 05:50 PM

I sure wish I could find that here in Florida.. I'd even give up my CTC11 for that..

Sandy G 06-14-2014 06:56 PM

Nice lookin' set.. Must be a '64 or later w/UHF..

rca2000 06-14-2014 08:42 PM

Glad you are getting it. Otherwise, unless one of us "freaks" got it--its fate would be a packer truck.

hi_volt 06-15-2014 10:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Made the trip to Pierce, Arizona to pick up the Heathkit and the Fada 930, and also got a couple of bonus items. The Heathkit is a 1965 model that was built by the owner's father, who was a TV service technician. The CRT in the Heathkit is a Sylvania Color Bright 85, which is a Grade A rebuilt. Emissions on all three guns check OK, but even though I got good emissions on the blue gun, I couldn't get the gun balance to adjust properly. I'm going to run the filaments for a couple of hours to wake the tube up tomorrow evening when I get home from work. I even got the original Heathkit manual for the set, plus a few spare parts like a yoke and a few other goodies. The set, of course, didn't come with a cabinet, but I did get the cabinet that the original owner "repurposed" back in 1965 to house the set. Cool.

The Fada 930 is complete and has a rebuilt aluminized CRT with a date code of 1979, so I'm guessing the set was still in use until at least the early '80s. The 12BP4 checks just barely in the "good" zone, so I'm going to try to wake that tube up as well.

The owner had a spare 21-inch rectangular CRT that I got as well. Emissions check barely OK as well, so that one also might wake up. I don't have a set for this one, but if I didn't take it, it would have gone to the dump :sigh:

hi_volt 06-15-2014 10:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures:

wkand 06-15-2014 11:19 PM

Heathkit GR53 and Fada Finds

Wow!! Sweet finds!! :banana:

Is the wood cabinet with the doors the re-purposed cabinet for the Heath?

Someone( probably the father who was a service tech) appreciated the significance of the Fada set, given they re-tubed it in 1979! That would not have been a common thing to do.

I had a GE 16 inch BW set from ther late 50's that I re-tubed about that time for $25

hi_volt 06-17-2014 07:54 AM

Not 100% sure about the cabinet, but it looks like it might fit the Heathkit, though the chassis would stick out the back a couple of inches. The cabinet was free so I wasn't going to leave it there to get sent to the dump. If it doesn't end up working for the Heathkit, I'll use it for something else.

Olorin67 06-22-2014 09:21 AM

Gutted tv cabinets do turn up on craigslist... So theres some hope of finding a roundie cabinet that could house the Heathkit.

hi_volt 07-22-2016 11:29 PM

So after two years, I finally found a cabinet locally to house my Heathkit roundie! Will post some pictures tomorrow.

hi_volt 07-23-2016 10:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the cabinet I picked up late from a CL ad yesterday for my Heathkit roundie. It's an Asian style TV cabinet, probably from a 50's B&W set, which looks to have been "re-purposed" into a shelf many years ago. The black lacquer finish and the red paint on the inside of the cabinet looks to be original. It needs some touch up, and I'll need to modify the inside to re-position the shelf to accommodate the Heathkit and add a speaker grille of some kind at the bottom, but it looks like everything will fit.

N2IXK 07-23-2016 11:44 AM

Nice find! Was there really only one assembly manual for the set? I just put together a early 70s Heathkit set, and there were 7 separate manuals for the TV, and an extra one for the optional remote!

Steve D. 07-23-2016 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HEATHKIT 21" roundie ad.......Sorry about the resolution.

-Steve D.

Electronic M 07-23-2016 03:34 PM

Did you measure the cabinet? It looks a bit narrow for the set, but then again the photos lack sufficient reference of scale for me to tell with accuracy.

miniman82 07-23-2016 09:25 PM

Lol, an Asian Heathkit. I like it! Probably end up looking a little like those Chinese provincial Zeniths, seen a few of those before.