Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   I'm getting a Magnavox! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269466)

TUD1 08-25-2017 05:33 PM

I'm getting a Magnavox!

I'm getting up extra early tomorrow and heading to the rich people part of town to snag this beautiful Magnavox. Anybody have any info about these? This is my first Magnavox TV ever, and my knowledge on them is very limited. I'm guessing 1967? I'm super excited to be getting this thing. Especially since it's a remote set.

Findm-Keepm 08-25-2017 07:49 PM

My guess? Heavy.

I hated them combos - I was the kid on the lighter end, but still, they made them like tanks. Never dropped one, never necked one, but I did knee a knob once. The knob was ok, I needed a bandage - through corduroy pants, that Maggie "Mediterranean" got my knee good.

Ever carry a jonboat with some water in it? Lift up your end, and the other end gets heavy for the other guy? :D That's my analogy for carrying one of these B****rds down a set of stairs. Suddenly, everyone has water in their end of the boat. to make matters worse, all the homes here were built in the early part of the century, with little thought as to how narrow one could design a set of stairs.

Congrats on the find....:thmbsp:

Ed in Tx 08-25-2017 07:58 PM

The mask around the tube reminds me of my old Star System Magnavox, but that was about 1979 vintage. It was one of the first with a comb filter Y-C separator and man did it have a clean detailed picture.

old_tv_nut 08-25-2017 08:42 PM

You may have read around here that Maggies had something of a reputation for eating flybacks. Good idea to check the horizontal current, I think.

Congrats on the furniture find!

mr_rye89 08-25-2017 11:32 PM

That's similar to the Magnavox I had (gave to a coworker) mine was a solid state table top unit and it was heavy as hell, it had A/V inputs and the fly was still good.

consoleguy67 08-26-2017 05:25 AM

With the design of the speaker grilles, I would say early 70's.

davet753 08-26-2017 11:14 AM

Yep, I'd guess early 70's, too.

TUD1 08-26-2017 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Score. NOT a remote set. Original CRT.

TUD1 08-26-2017 06:38 PM

Here's the picture it makes after having done no work on it at all. In fact, I have not even removed the back cover yet. Tomorrow, I'll check the tubes, clean it out, set it up, the whole shmagoigle

Findm-Keepm 08-26-2017 09:00 PM

T9 _ _? Chassis?

holmesuser01 08-26-2017 09:49 PM

I'd leave the tubes alone at this point. No need to disturb parts that have been in one position for 40 years.

I think it's a 73-74 model

I think it used an odd tube for the vertical output. Didn't see it in many other sets. It looks pretty good, except for the little vertical linearity problem it has, and that can easily be the output tube.

sampson159 08-27-2017 12:32 PM

is this the hybrid chassis?crt looks really sharp.those maggies of that vintage were real fine performers with excellent crts and solid wood cabinetry.these were very high end customers didnt mind spending some real money to keep them going.great score and post more pictures of it

Jeffhs 08-27-2017 12:37 PM

Your set makes a good picture right now, but it could be better. Those '70s Maggies were great sets when new, and can be just as good today if they are properly restored. It looks like the CRT is still in excellent shape. The set must have had very little use by its former owner(s) (perhaps the stereo components were used more than the TV) before you got it; I wouldn't expect a 40-year-old CRT to be this strong unless the set was seldom used.

BTW, I am always amazed whenever you get a new TV, especially a large console like your Maggie, as to where you find room for them. Where do you put them all? :scratch2: I think you mentioned awhile ago that you have, or have access to, another building where you can store your TVs.

Also, I wonder how you are getting any TV reception at all without a cable box or OTA converter and antenna (I don't see either on top of your set), since, as everyone knows (or should know) by now, some years after the DTV transition, it is all but impossible to get any kind of OTA TV reception without the use of, at a minimum, an OTA converter box with an antenna. Are you hiding the box behind the TV? :scratch2: Your set shows a picture from the local CBS affiliate in Birmingham, which, again, is all but impossible to get without at least a converter box--unless the station has an analog SD (standard definition) feed in addition to its main HD signal.

TUD1 08-27-2017 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought the set was a hybrid at first, but it is actually all tube. I checked all the tubes, and amazingly, they all checked good. There were only three non original ones, 2 6GH8's, and a 6KE8. After completely setting up the TV, here is the picture it makes. I adjusted the dynamic convergence to fix the blue on the left side.

Jeff, there are no analog stations here. I am using a DTV converter.

Tony V 08-27-2017 05:31 PM

Hows the stereo portion in this combo? Is it in working order? Any pictures? I've had a couple of the slightly older Magnavox combo's and they were nice. I now own a 1963 Magnavox color roundie combo and it's the prize of my collection. I'm glad this one fell into good hands! Nice find!