Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early B&W and Projection TV (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Part Needed (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=490)

jshorva65 07-10-2002 10:27 PM

Part Needed

Could anyone tell me where I could get a replacement tuning slug for the Width coil in a Fada TV30. This chassis is virtually identical to RCA's 1948-1/2 model 8TS30 and very similar to the 630TS, the 1948 8TS30, Croisley 9-408 and a few others. The coil itself is fine, but the slug is cracked clean in two.

Rob 07-10-2002 11:20 PM

broken ferrite slug

John,

Krazy Glue can be effective in joining broken ferrite cores together.

Rob

jshorva65 07-11-2002 06:16 AM

Rob,

I tried KrazyGlue already, and the top of the slug shattered when I tried to put it back into the coil. The tapped end of the slug where the adjustment screw was attached is history. I'm definitely at the point now where replacing the slug is my only option.

John

jshorva65 07-18-2002 04:18 PM

Just received a quote on having reproductions made of backs and hv cage covers for RCA 630TS and similar models (8TS30's, Crosley 9-408's Fada TV30's, etc.). I have a 630TS and a Fada TV30 with these parts missing and $52 for a back and $78 for a hv cage doesn't sound bad for a $1,000+ "channel-1" set. I've decided to have the parts made and restore the sets. Anyone else need these parts?

ChuckA 07-18-2002 05:02 PM

How about 621TS backs too?

Chuck

jshorva65 07-18-2002 05:57 PM

Do you have a drawing of the original back? How closely does it resemble the back from the 721TS? What I've done is arranged to have reproductions made of parts I have on hand to have duplicated. If your situation is like mine and you have one complete 621TS and several non-complete, then you could ship your original to me (insured, of course) and I could arrange to have production runs of several pieces made from the original. This is the most economical way since the per-piece setup cost is lower for a run of several units. If you don't have the part but have or can get a copy of the drawing from which the original was made, that would be another method. In any case, I'll need either a part to duplicate or a drawing and then I can have as many parts made as you need.

jshorva65 07-18-2002 06:14 PM

Fabricated sheet metal parts of all kinds can be reproduced by my supplier from either an original part or an engineering drawing of the original part. Costs of a specific part will vary based upon the amount and type of material and the complexity of the fabrication.

Perhaps we as collectors and restorers have among us a vast array of skills that can be useful to others here. I know of one member of this forum who has developed a successful treatment for the "cataract" condition that affects some early color CRT's. Perhaps there's someone with tool-and-die or injection-molding experience who would be able to reproduce knobs or other hard-to-find parts.

michael 07-19-2002 10:08 PM

621-TS Backs

Put me down for two backs if you get production going. I've got an old photocopy of one but it's pretty dark and thus, not too clear.

I've also got a HV cage for a 721 (maybe) around here somewhere that I'd love to trade for a CTC-4 back.

Michael

Rob 07-19-2002 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Michael,

I believe the reproductions John was speaking of are all perforated metal.

For the CTC-4 you could get a back made from 1/8th inch thick lexan and call it a 'museum back'. I'm in the process of doing this for my H840CK15 Westinghouse. You definitely want to be able to view the insides of that beauty. There are two chassis in there and the main one is quite magnificent.

Rob

michael 07-19-2002 10:41 PM

TV backs

I'd thought about using a solid piece of masonite with forced-air cooling (a muffin fan) mounted on it. I did this several years ago for a McIntosh 240 amp inside an entertainment center and it kept it quite cool. The Westy's a beauty!
I'd like to find one but suppose this is Fate's way of keeping me out of trouble. Besides, the house needs painting.
It's a shame work gets in the way of our hobbies...

Rob 07-19-2002 11:31 PM

Michael,

The masonite and muffin fan works great, only it is a good idea to run an air filter as the dust will collect inside the set if not. I made a back like this for a home-made furniture cabinet I made for my first color TV, a 25" rectangular chassis set that was all tubes back in 1975. I got a working chassis with a bad CRT and bought a new CRT for it and went to great trouble and made a fine furniture cabinet to exactly match my home-made 19" furniture style 19" equipment rack for my home stereo. I still have the 19" rack. I mounted the fan so it would blow cool air directly onto the set's hot power transformer. I used the pegboard perforated masonite too. The fan noise is annoying so use a 220 volt muffin fan on 120 volts and it will be much quieter!

Thanx for the compliment on my Westinghouse.

Rob

jshorva65 07-20-2002 06:33 AM

That's correct, Rob. The parts I'm speaking of are made of sheet-metal with custom-punched perforations courtesy of a computer-controlled punch press. My friend's fabrication shop will also do all the bending and spot-welding for the HV cages.

As for punching other materials such as masonite and Lexan, I'll have to do some further research. The idea for Lexan "museum" backs sounds like a good one, especially for a set like the Westinghouse.

jshorva65 07-21-2002 12:58 PM

I'll be receiving an excellent example of a Fada 799 soon, from which I plan to have reproductions made of the safety glass and brackets to fit my RCA 630TS which is missing these parts. Is there anyone here who can reproduce knobs?

jshorva65 08-07-2002 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up the 630 and 721 reproduction backs today. I'm still waiting for the 621 original to arrive (Thanks, Chuck and Kevin for the loan of your originals) from which to make the reproductions. They were slightly higher than the original quote. Based on the original quote, I had set the price for the 630 backs at $52.00 each, but they'll be $60.00 each plus shipping. They'll be ready to ship once I've got them cleaned and painted. The 721 backs will be $81.00 each plus shipping. There is one slight difference between the originals and the reproductions. The border surrounding the access hole for the width control on the original back is formed by a large-diameter rivet and there were "partial" holes from the perforation pattern surrounding it. The reproductions have the perforation pattern interrupted in the area adjacent to the access hole to form the border. Dave and I concurred that this large-diameter rivet would be cost-prohibitive because of the need for special tooling that would be used only for this application. Attached, you will find photos of the 630TS and 721TS reproduction backs. Let me know what you think of this first production run. Also, the first run of 630TS hv cage reproductions will be ready by Sept 1.

jshorva65 08-29-2002 05:34 PM

More TV Backs

The RCA 621TS and Philco 48-700 reproduction backs are due for release on 09/16/02. I'm wondering what other backs might be worthwhile to attempt. How about the one for the Dumont RA-103 Chatham (Doghouse) model? Any other suggestions of sheetmetal backs that might be of interest?