Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I've been blessed! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=124126)

old_tv_nut 08-28-2007 08:57 PM

I've been blessed!

1 Attachment(s)
I just acquired a CTC-5 :banana:

Pete Deksnis contacted me to say there was one available that "might be close enough" to me.

Well, it was about 200 miles away in Fort Wayne ...hmmm..
And a coworker hails from Indiana, and has relatives there ... hmmm
And his brother goes between northwest Indiana and Fort Wayne from time to time ... hmmm
And by the way, the owner, John Leone (not sure if he hangs out here) was GIVING IT AWAY if someone would only promise to restore it and let him see the result - :yippy:

It arrived yesterday, and I've only had time to remove the back and stare fondly at the chassis.

The attached pictures are from before it was picked up in Fort Wayne.
It's a Westcott Color Super Model 21CT785-5U, the last 5 meaning Mahogany and the U indicating UHF tuner included. There is a tag on the tube cap indicating the CRT was replaced on February 23 1962, but it also has the date code recorded as 6217, which would be in April. I can't see where to read the actual date code on the CRT. It reportedly worked when last turned on over 10 years ago. A quick inspection shows no obvious signs of problems, flyback looks good.

As you can see, it also looks intact with knobs and all.

First order of business will be a recap - if anyone has already created a list of required caps, I'd appreciate it, otherwise that's the first step for me.

I'll post some more "before" pix as soon as I can.

Thanks again to Pete and John, and Jim Laud, the transporter. :thmbsp:

David Roper 08-28-2007 09:12 PM

Good on ya Wayne, really. :thmbsp: Gorgeous set.

Free! Imagine that. I'm a shade of emerald green only a CT-100 can reproduce.

;)

jpdylon 08-28-2007 11:04 PM

man and I thought I got lucky with my free CTC-11

What a beautiful set! Most excellent. I'm glad to see its in the hands of a collector who will care for it.

frenchy 08-28-2007 11:40 PM

Nice CTC-5, I have the exact same model, it was my first roundie and I'll never part with it. I finally had DirectTV installed in the last month and have mine hooked up to it in my bedroom (main set is an HDTV rear projection in the living room.) I loved showing it to my girlfriend and telling her the set is over 5 years older than she is (and she's 44!).

Steve D. 08-29-2007 12:56 AM

Very nice, clean CTC-5. And the price was right. I owned a Westcott some years ago. I always liked that it was, for a CTC-5, a more compact upright console.

-Steve D.

polaraman 08-29-2007 01:17 AM

Nice set!

Frenchy where have you been?

polaraman

Phil Nelson 08-29-2007 01:39 AM

So, let me get this straight . . .

A. You get this wonderful TV for free.

B. Someone delivers it to you for free.

Man, you must be livin' right :-)

Phil Nelson

yagosaga 08-29-2007 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 1321256)
I just acquired a CTC-5 :banana: ... First order of business will be a recap - if anyone has already created a list of required caps, I'd appreciate it, otherwise that's the first step for me.

Congratulations for this nice peace of American television history.

For me the first step is an inspection of the chassis and the crt. Check for previous repairs. Check for the correct tubes in their places. Check for burned caps, coils, resistors etc..

My philosophy of recapping is to replace only those caps which are absolutely necessary for proper working condition. I want to leave the set in nearly original condition as it is possible. I know that many people replace all caps whether it is neccesary or not. But this is not an intelligent choice. Many caps are not critical.

Note for designations: I have the RCA field data service sheet.

Next step: reforming electrolytic caps C103,104,105, see:

http://www.vcomp.co.uk/tech_tips/ref...eform_caps.htm

I use a mains power supply with 0 to 350 volts in steps of 5 volts and measuring the current. Step by step with increasing voltage. Do not exceed 80 mA current in low voltages and 40 mA with high voltages.

Candidates for recapping: all coupling capacitors and waxies excluding micas and ceramics. Look for R C parallel, they are not critical. Screen grid caps are also not critical. Caps with a low voltage difference are also not critical. Those caps with a ! are a must. I recommend to check all caps with a ! first and then fire up the set and see what happens. While fire up, remove F102 and measure the d.c. current. This should not exceed 600 mA!

Power supply: C133 !,
PW600 (line oscillator): check C601, 602, 603.
Horizontal output and high voltage: C112, 115, 119, 120.
PW500 (vertikal osc. and output): C501, 504 !, 507 !, 508 !, 509, 510 !,
PW700 (color and video output): C714 !, 715, 731 !, 732.
PW400-A (video amp): C403, 132A, 132B.
PW400-B (blanker): C408 !
PW300 (I-F): nothing
PW200 (sound): C212 !
PW200-B (AGC, sync): C217 !, 222 !
Tuner: C116 !

Resistors: I found some resistors with increased resistance. But checking these is recommended when you have a raster or a picture.

Kind regards,
Eckhard

Sandy G 08-29-2007 05:42 AM

Oooooh ! I HATE you !! Free CTC-5, in GLORIOUS shape, free delivery...Oooooooh...Seriously, that is a gorgeous set...Can't wait to see pics of it runnin'...You are one lucky guy ! Also glad to see another veteran going to a very loving home, & not getting tossed.

frenchy 08-29-2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polaraman (Post 1321653)
Nice set!
Frenchy where have you been?
polaraman

Oh I'm always checking around in here! Hope to get my ctc-10 remote set set up in a permanent working location in the near future, I collect pinball machines too so never enough room in this tiny house to set up both tvs and pinballs. Have one b/w set set up and working along with the ctc-5 but the roundies take up a ton more room so I am in process of rearranging things around here.
Frenchy

old_tv_nut 08-29-2007 01:39 PM

Eckhard, thanks for the excellent detailed advice! I will be working strange hours this week and probably will not be able to make a thorough inspection until Friday.

Any hints on physically pulling the chassis, or is it obvious when you look at it?

- Wayne

frenchy 08-29-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 1322406)
Eckhard, thanks for the excellent detailed advice! I will be working strange hours this week and probably will not be able to make a thorough inspection until Friday.

Any hints on physically pulling the chassis, or is it obvious when you look at it?

- Wayne

From my quickly fading memory:
Remove the knobs on side and at front control box, remove control box (two screws I think), unplug shielded rca plug from tuner, unplug antenna wire from tuner, unbolt the tuner and it can then be bolted onto the rear of the chassis, remove the underside bolts, unplug the hv from the tube it's plugged into and remove insulator clip from cage lid, unplug the speaker at it's lugs. Watch it, this chassis weighs a TON.

yagosaga 08-29-2007 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The chassis is very heavy. If you want to operate the chassis outside the set with CRT connected, you should make an extension for the deflection yoke wires. You need an octal plug in and an octal socket for it. It is much easier to measure currents and voltages with the chassis outside.

Please check the cap numbers. I have seen that the SAMS and the RCA manual reported different countings for the caps.

BTW: last week I was in our newspaper with a report about the introducing of color television in Germany:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...22082007_2.jpg

After this report, I got a telephone call on last saturday. An old, retired engineer in a village 5 Kilometers far away want to give away his 1967 color tv set. I was sceptical and expected one of these heavy monsters. But what I got was a small, 19 inch color tv set with shunt regulator and a 490YB22 in excellent condition. The CRT has 1.1 to 1.2 mA on all three guns and the chassis is very clean without rust. I never found such a clean chassis of this period before. Here is a photo of this set:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold..._inBetrieb.jpg

It is not a good photo, but you can imagine what it looks like.

Kind regards,
Eckhard

old_tv_nut 08-29-2007 04:39 PM

very nice

radio63 08-29-2007 07:23 PM

I have a Westcott and they are neat sets. I was noticing the legs on this one, they seem much shorter than the legs on my set. (Maybe a different production run?) The legs on my set are gold colored like on this set but are tapered getting more slender toward bottom. The legs on this set appear to be shorter and thicker...unles it's just me or an optical illusion. No big deal, this is a great set. Congratulations on getting it!

Gilbert