Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early B&W and Projection TV (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Craigslist deal! 1948 Crosley 10" combo (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=258596)

Kamakiri 06-27-2013 09:11 PM

Craigslist deal! 1948 Crosley 10" combo

5 Attachment(s)
What an amazing set! It's still in the van, and I wanna play with it :yippy:

compucat 06-27-2013 09:34 PM

Wow. That is a really vintage looking set. Congratulations, I hope you can get it going again. You really have something nice there. That set was most likely someone's first experience with television. When I see these really early sets I wonder what they watched on it and how many years the set was in regular service.

Sandy G 06-27-2013 09:47 PM

That Bad Boi likely cost its 1st owner a not-so-small fortune back when..

Boobtubeman 06-27-2013 11:43 PM

WOW!! wish the craigslist around here had nice things like that... :)

SR

Kevin Kuehn 06-28-2013 12:05 AM

That surely is a unique looking set. And I'll bet your the first kid on the block of have one like it. :thmbsp:

47'Plymouth 06-28-2013 05:13 AM

It's one younger than 47'Plymouth sedan that I drive everyday
I want a Crosley Tv combo built in the 40's

Kamakiri 06-28-2013 05:37 AM

With all the recent incoming stuff, I'm going to have to sell something. I love this set, but I have absolutely no place to put it!

Jon A. 06-28-2013 05:45 AM

That doesn't deter me. I say start stacking 'em (my RCA "tower" comes to mind, as does Glenn's TV wall)

That thing would have been made right after channel 1 was decommissioned and its frequencies re-assigned.

That second pic made me think "Jingle Bells, Batman smells".

Kamakiri 06-28-2013 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, this is my definition of "saturation point" :)

This is one side of my basement, taken about 3 months ago. On the other side, are a couple antique refrigerators, and a workbench. There's TVs that you can't see in this pic, but you can get an idea of the general layout.

You simply CANNOT work on TVs without available space and adequate lighting. I cleaned house in the basement, and now have my workbench, plus an old dining room table, with floor standing fluorescent lights on goosenecks.

I've already done 5 complete restos this year, and there are 2 more which are close. Next weekend, 3 sets are leaving, headed for the DC Metro (customer jobs and friends), plus 3 radios. Today, I've got two incoming out of Chicago. I personally own maybe 22 sets, I think I only have 5 or 6 that don't work.....but that will change :)

It's getting NUTS, I tell ya ;)

Jon A. 06-28-2013 06:17 AM

Ya got me beat there. I have four sets, one that needs certain customer controls cleaned, another one on which the OSD doesn't work, but none were DOA.

Speaking of OSD, can't beat the mid to late 70s Maggies (not sure how wide the time frame is actually) for the coolest OSD I say. My Sony is a close second though, the channel number shrinks from the bottom until it disappears.

AiboPet 06-28-2013 09:09 AM

But...I can still see a whole lot of FLOOR left !!!

:yes: :D :thmbsp:

bigaudioal 06-28-2013 11:13 AM

I am trying to take more than I drop off this time! GREAT CROSLEY! Cannot wait to see it on Friday when I visit.

bandersen 06-28-2013 11:17 AM

Awesome score and I hope the sets from Chicago arrive safely today :yes:

bigaudioal 06-28-2013 11:28 AM

I hope so too Bob. Recognize my avatar photo? HA! :thmbsp:

PaulOF 06-28-2013 01:53 PM

Oh man, that's a beauty.

Compucat, I can answer your wonderings about one set from that era. My dad bought a 1948 Hallicrafters T-54 (with channel 1). One year younger than I am. Some of my early memories are sitting on his lap watching horse races in Cleveland. By 1953 it had been replaced by an RCA - don't remember the model but it stood on four round spindly legs. It still saw some service up till maybe 1956 or so. I still have it. Got it working again in the mid 1980's. At the moment it is dead again and I haven't had time to dig into it.