Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   RCA CTC-5 Westcott help (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269387)

Radiotronman 08-08-2017 01:33 PM

RCA CTC-5 Westcott help

1 Attachment(s)
A month ago I got this RCA CTC-5 Westcott and recapped it. I get great sound and video, but even after making convergeance adjustments, I cannot get very good overall color. Adjusting the color killer, color and hue controls does almost nothing. When I degauss it with a degaussing coil, I see all kinds of bright colors as I move it around the screen. What is going on here?

Radiotronman 08-08-2017 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the picture of the set!

SwizzyMan 08-08-2017 01:52 PM

Looks like a problem with the flesh tones. Does it only really occur on people?

Electronic M 08-08-2017 02:23 PM

What does it look like with SMPTE bars and the color control set to produce fairly mild (low saturation) colors?

zeno 08-08-2017 03:52 PM

Center convergence is way off.
Do this to rough it in.
Dark room, color all the way DOWN. Brite & contrast about 2/3.
Dot pattern, Adjust the 3 conv magnets & 1 blue lateral ( not the rings)
to bring the dots together in the center ONLY.
The edges will fall into place much better then.
After you do this a few times & it "clicks" you wont need a generator,
you can do it by eye quicker.

The set probably needs a by the book set-up but this will get you
to the point to trouble shoot any other problems.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

old_tv_nut 08-08-2017 04:33 PM

As Zeno said, the convergence is way off in the pic you posted. But, you said you adjusted it, so do you have a pic after adjustment?

old_tv_nut 08-08-2017 04:36 PM

Another note, something I found the hard way on my CTC-5. If you degauss it after adjusting the edge magnets, you will louse it up. You MUST follow the procedure from the beginning: retract the edge magnets fully, then degauss, then adjust yoke position and purity rings on the neck, then adjust edge magnets.

Radiotronman 08-09-2017 08:25 AM

I read in the service manual about adjusting the edge magnets. I turn them and they just spin. How do you back them out like the manual says?

old_tv_nut 08-09-2017 10:32 AM

The edge magnets are mounted on a screw thread, so if you keep turning counterclockwise, they will eventually retract fully and hit a stop.

jr_tech 08-09-2017 11:18 AM

IIRC, the threads are seated against a spring... you can pull back the magnet by pulling out on the "knob". Likewise, you can push the magnets in to approximately the correct position and then turn the "knob" for fine adjustments.
At least that's the way it is on a CTC 4, I never had a 5.

jr

Radiotronman 08-09-2017 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a picture of the crosshatch pattern coming from my BK1077.

Radiotronman 08-09-2017 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is also as good as I can get the color bars to come in.

Radiotronman 08-09-2017 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If I turn the color control on and all the way up, I start to see more blues and greens, but still looks terrible.

oldtvman 08-09-2017 11:57 AM

Color sets back then involved a two step process, first you set the parameters of a B & W picture and then you add color. Purity adjustment would be the first step to getting proper registration and then set the convergence. Your photo looks like ac running thru the picture which means you probably have leaking filter capacitors coming of the rectifiers.

old_tv_nut 08-09-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr_tech (Post 3187821)
IIRC, the threads are seated against a spring... you can pull back the magnet by pulling out on the "knob". Likewise, you can push the magnets in to approximately the correct position and then turn the "knob" for fine adjustments.
At least that's the way it is on a CTC 4, I never had a 5.

jr

I don't think there are springs on the CTC-5, at least not that I noticed. Also, only a screwdriver slot - no knob to pull.