Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique phonographs (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Magnavox W801 Record Changer (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268223)

Bill R 12-18-2016 08:12 PM

Magnavox W801 Record Changer

I am having a problem with this changer. It seems the idler does not contact the motor. I have cleaned it and got the old grease off, but when it is turned on from the stop position the idler doesn't engage the motor spindle. I can lightly touch the idler assembly and it will play. As long as you don't turn it to the off position it will cycle the entire stack of records just fine. When it cuts off it will not start again on it's own. The idler seems to be ok, and the tension springs are in the correct place. I could order a new idler if necessary, but wanted to explore other possibilities first. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Celt 12-19-2016 12:56 AM

Check the tension on that idler spring. You may have to cut a loop or two off of it to give it more "power".

Bill R 12-19-2016 06:32 AM

I cut 3 loops off the tension spring. I even replaced it with a new one and no change.

Celt 12-19-2016 07:24 AM

Weird. And you removed the idler arm...cleaned the post and shaft and re-lubed it? :scratch2:

Bill R 12-19-2016 10:21 AM

Multiple times. It is weird.

Electronic M 12-19-2016 10:34 AM

Try cleaning the rubber with Goof Off (the type that is like paint thinner) and if that fails automotive belt dressing.

Old ones sometimes look good clean and crack free but have an outer film of slick dried out rubber on the outside.

maxhifi 12-19-2016 12:10 PM

Are the motor mounts deteriorated, causing the shaft to be out of alignment with the idler, or for something to bind?

Has ALL old grease been removed from sliding parts with isopropyl alcohol, and replaced with similar like white lithium grease?

Does surface of idler have a glaze on it? Feel it with your finger, it should be like a new pencil eraser, in terms of how much friction it presents. Rubber Renew may help. If this is something you intend to use regularly just spring for a new idler, the old one is a waste of time. I like to treat even new idlers with rubber renew by running it with the platter off and holding a saturated Q-tip against the idler for a while, and repeating until the Q tips no longer turn black.

Is there any grease or oil where there shouldn't be? i.e. motor shaft, inside platter rim, etc.

Does platter itself turn freely? Is bearing binding? With idler and change cycle disengaged it should take a while to stop rotating on its own, not quickly come to a stop.

Is cam gear degreased and lubricated?

When it does run, does it run on speed as confirmed by strobe disc?

Has motor been disassembled and lubed? Can get weak if not, especially to start.

Bill R 12-19-2016 01:37 PM

Motor mounts are fine. I will probably order a new idler, but not sure if that's my problem. Changer cycle works fine, and when it runs the speed is correct.

maxhifi 12-20-2016 12:01 AM

Have you ruled out that motor itself doesn't stall when trying to start under load?

Celt 12-20-2016 05:22 AM

That IS a possibility...sadly...BUT he said the idler wasn't engaging the motor's shaft... Don Shaft! :scratch2:

Bill R 12-20-2016 08:17 AM

The motor does not stall. I am going to remove the idler mount and linkage and run it through the ultrasonic cleaner. There may be something the alcohol didn't get off.

Bill R 12-21-2016 10:06 PM

Update time:
I took all the parts that connect to the idler and ran them through the ultrasonic cleaner for 3 cycles in hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap. I reassembled everything, and it would always start, but the idler seemed to disengage after 1 or two revolutions or the turntable. You could hear an audible click when it did. I replaced the new spring, which seemed to be to strong, and replaced it with the original that I had cut 3 coils out of and now it works fine. I had cleaned all those parts with alcohol multiple times, but I guess there was a film I just couldn't get off. This was definitely not your normal problem. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

Celt 12-22-2016 07:14 AM

Well, thankfully it all worked out!