Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   CTC-5 Westcott restoration (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=266091)

old_tv_nut 02-03-2016 08:56 PM

Hue (Tint) drift can be due to one of the many cost cutting experiments in the CTC-5 Super chassis. They used burst injection to lock the local oscillator, rather than a phase-locked loop (PLL) with a phase detector and reactance tube. A PLL (as used in the Deluxe chassis and all subsequent chassis) can drive the static phase offset near to zero if it has sufficient loop gain, but the injection locked oscillator is more at the mercy of the oscillator drift with temperature, depending on the "Q" of the circuit and the injection level. So, increasing the burst injection level may improve things.

Years later, Norm Parker at Motorola analyzed the requirements for an injection lock circuit to perform as well as a PLL, and it was successfully used in some Motorola designs.

SwizzyMan 02-04-2016 06:27 PM

AGC was not set properly. Turned that up to max and the picture looks BEAUTIFUL. No more tint/hue drift. Looks almost like my CTC-7! :banana:

Tom9589 02-05-2016 09:49 AM

The 3.58 MHz circuit on the CTC-5 looks a lot like the one in the GE Portacolor and some of the full sized GE color sets.

Increasing the AGC would most likely increase the burst which would help stabilize the 3.58 MHz oscillator.

SwizzyMan 02-05-2016 04:17 PM

I noticed that on red colored objects there is a slight magenta glow on the border of the object not too noticeable but still a bit irritating. How do I adjust the flesh tones and get rid of that magenta glow that borders red objects?

old_tv_nut 02-05-2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwizzyMan (Post 3155783)
I noticed that on red colored objects there is a slight magenta glow on the border of the object not too noticeable but still a bit irritating. How do I adjust the flesh tones and get rid of that magenta glow that borders red objects?

If you look closely you will probably see a slight greenish border on the opposite edge of the red objects. This is caused by phase distortion in the color signal and can be affected by IF alignment (especially the sound trap) and/or chroma bandpass alignment. Unless it is really bad, it may not be worth trying to redo the alignment, as you likely will find it's as good as possible already.

SwizzyMan 02-07-2016 01:31 PM

Here is a video of the set. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W3kZNQPxbY
It looks a lot better in person since my camera isnt the best for recording. Cant seem to get decent lighting in the room either.

old_coot88 02-07-2016 05:04 PM

Nice work dude. Glad you changed your avatar. The old one was frankly a bit off-putting and could make a person less inclined to wanna participate in the thread.

BigDavesTV 02-07-2016 08:46 PM

I just watched the video on YouTube, that looks great, good job!

SwizzyMan 02-09-2016 08:35 PM

And a BIG thanks to all for the help they provided in helping me get this beautiful set running! :yes: Glad I was able to do more by myself with this restoration unlike my CTC-7 restoration. I'm starting to get the hang of this stuff.

DaveWM 02-11-2016 08:06 AM

Hey now, that is looking good!

Kevin Kuehn 02-11-2016 10:19 AM

Very impressive. All you need now is a TV lamp facing the back walls, then you can turn the room lights off and enjoy that great picture. But it looks pretty darn good even in that bright room lighting. :thmbsp:

Jeffhs 02-11-2016 11:12 AM

Your TV looks great! Excellent picture for a set that was made sixty years ago (the CTC5 Westcott was made the year I was born).

I don't see a converter box or a VCR/DVD anywhere near the TV. Is that Bonanza episode off the air or cable? :scratch2:

Keep up the good work. These old TVs deserve much better than to be sent to a landfill, and this one obviously won't be.

SwizzyMan 02-11-2016 02:49 PM

Thanks a bunch everyone! To reply to jeffhs question, the set is receiving a wired signal from a BT modulator. I can get all the stations provided by my cable company. The modulator is hooked up to my cable box. To be honest, my CTC-5 is producing a better picture than my CTC-7! :D

Jeffhs 02-11-2016 07:32 PM

I figured as much, that you might have been using an RF modulator fed by a cable box. Do you have an in-house type of system similar to the one Kamakiri (Tim) in Buffalo uses for his antique TVs? Since Orlando only has three VHF network TV stations (not counting PBS, Fox, et al.), you wouldn't need that many modulators to build a good local distribution system. I think Tim only uses one and changes the input signal at the modulator, depending on what channel he wants to watch. The modulator's output is on channel 9 in his installation, but since Orlando has a local channel 9 any modulator you use would have to output to some other VHF channel.

SwizzyMan 02-11-2016 07:46 PM

Yes I do have a home broadcasting system. With plenty of power to reach the whole house. I had it wired temporarily but now I get everything off the rabbit ears! I use only one modulator to do the job.

SwizzyMan 02-12-2016 08:57 PM

Found the original house where this TV came from. Interestingly enough, the house was finished in 1956, the same year this set was manufactured. The set belonged to Mr. Vahram Bagian. Mr. Bagian passed in 1995. He must have been a pretty wealthy man to own this set back in 1956! http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M48576-54870

SwizzyMan 03-01-2016 07:10 PM

I have noticed that when I am watching the set and a picture with a lot of white light comes on the whole screen has a shade of green to it, once the white light goes away the green tint goes away. I remember reading that the 21AXP22's phosphors gave everything a greenish tint. Is this the same with the A version? Or is this occurrence circuit related?

miniman82 03-01-2016 07:51 PM

Sounds like the green screen is up too high, or you need to turn down the brightness.

old_tv_nut 03-01-2016 08:03 PM

This effect has to be electrical, not the phosphors.
I have never heard of the phosphors giving everything a greenish tint.

However, the usual white balance for sets for decades was on the cyan side ("9300K + 27 MPCD") due to the dimness of the red phosphor and a desire not to overdrive the red gun too much. (This was not true of the very earliest sets such as the CT-100, as they were supposed to be set to illuminant C [daylight white] even though this meant pushing the red gun extremely hard compared to the green and blue.)

By the way, I suspect that CT-100 as used in the home varied greatly, as servicemen had no instruments to tell them when they had achieved the correct white balance. Grayscale tracking (whites and grays being the same color) is much easier to judge by eye than the actual color of those whites and grays.

benman94 03-01-2016 10:45 PM

Your greenish tint is definitely electrical in nature. That said, the earliest 21AXP22s, when not in use, do have an ever so slight green tint, just like a 15GP22, 15HP22, or 19VP22. Perhaps it was discussion of the appearance of the tubes when not in use that SwizzyMan was reading?

SwizzyMan 03-02-2016 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniman82 (Post 3154298)
There are at least 3 flavors of 21AXP22 that I'm aware of:

The earliest ones had the same phosphors as a 15GP22 giving a greenish look to the screen and had normal grey dag on the inside, the chassis they were used with always had series anode resistance to protect the flyback in case of an arc in the CRT. Part number would be 21AXP22.

Next is the same tube, just with improved brightness from different phosphors. This one was used in most of the CTC-4's you see out there unless a replacement was installed, and it's easy to tell because the screen appears white instead of greenish. Part number is still 21AXP22, still all grey dag.

Last version to come out before the glass tubes was the 21AXP22A. This is the one with a white screen and red resistive dag on the inside, which eliminated the need for series anode resistance for arc protection from the previous model. All CTC-5's used this tube and it's compatible with earlier chassis.

The same is NOT true of putting a 21AXP22 (non-A) into a set having a CTC-5 chassis, which has no built in series anode resistance. While it's true it will 'work', the caution there is that without any series anode resistance you run the risk of shorting all HV anode current to ground in the event of a CRT failure. The whole point of series anode resistance is the protect the chassis, without it you blow up more parts when the CRT goes. So if you have a CTC-5 and your CRT has all grey dag, either install some resistance in the anode lead or prepare to replace the flyback if the tube dies.

The red dag doesn't prevent arcing, it merely saves other parts from death should an arc occur.

My bad, I interpreted this post wrong. I thought the greenish tint was a picture related effect. Not just the color of the phosphors. Also I know know that the A version of the 21ax didn't even have that same phosphor.

SwizzyMan 09-23-2017 05:29 PM

I am currently solving a horizontal issue with this set. I have since fixed this but it seems the tuner and IF circuits have gone out of whack. Ive tried all adjustments and tubes. What I would like to do since this TV will soon be in a cabin in Minnesota where over the air and cable is hard to find is to see if it is simple to inject a composite signal into the video and sound amp to bypass the tuner and IF. Is this possible by just connecting a direct video source or will I have to build a preamp for this set too?

Penthode 09-24-2017 10:51 PM

I have the same problem with my CTC5. The emission on the 21AXP22A is okay. Advancing the brightness affects grey scale. At lower brightness the greyscale is not bad.

The root problem may be the design of the final luma stage. Compared with the CTC7 upward, the anode current at the quiescent point of the CTC5 appears too high at cart cutoff. I earlier was investigating means reducing anode current quiescent point by shifting the CRT cutoff point.

I looked at this a couple of years ago and put it aside. Now that I know the problem isn't unique to my CTC5, I am going to revisit this. I would be curious if any of you have thoughts on this. I haven't substituted the 21AXP22A and am wondering despite the emission being okay that perhaps the guns aren't tracking properly?

old_tv_nut 09-24-2017 11:10 PM

I recommend modifying the CTC-5 video output stage to the CTC-7 configuration.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...ication&page=2

SwizzyMan 09-25-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3189864)

I had already done this awhile back. And I do agree that it vastly improves gray scale and overall contrast and picture quality. I was able to inject a composite video source to G1 of the video amp and the picture is stellar now.

Penthode 09-25-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3189864)

I remember the post. Boy the five years swiftly passed.

I ended up modifying the cathode circuit on the 12BY7 because of the blooming problem. But the green cast at high brightness remained.

I think there is more to do because to drive the CRT to conduct, the 12BY7 current remains too high. If I recall correctly, the 12BY7 control grid bias needs to increase (greater minus). Comparing the CTC5 to the CTC7 or CTC9 should reveal the difference.

SwizzyMan 09-27-2017 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After about 1 hour I lose horizontal sync... which I thought I fixed. After checking back on the horizontal board, I found I did not replace one cap (C606?). Tracing everything in front of it makes it seem like it is a very critical cap. Perhaps the cap drifts as it gets warmer considering its proximity to the 6CG7? Does this seem like a critical cap to you guys? By the way it is the only original component left on the board besides the waveform coil.

old_tv_nut 09-27-2017 04:55 PM

Yes, critical - determines horizontal frequency in combination with the coil (cut off at the top of your image). Replace with the same type / temperature coefficient.

SwizzyMan 09-27-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3189988)
Yes, critical - determines horizontal frequency in combination with the coil (cut off at the top of your image). Replace with the same type / temperature coefficient.

Thanks for the clarification. After I get that replaced I need to take some shots of the screen. Direct injecting a composite signal works pretty well with a 5.

SwizzyMan 09-27-2017 08:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some obligatory Oz shots from the 5 before I lost sync. Not pleased with how the camera made these out, but it gives you an idea. Picture is not as bright, but a lot more crisp and clear than displayed on camera. This is taken with a composite video signal injected into the video amp. Not too shabby. :yes:

old_tv_nut 09-27-2017 08:51 PM

It looks like your camera didn't focus exactly on the screen. Other than that, the pictures are great. You've got better vertical linearity on yours than I have on mine.

etype2 09-28-2017 01:51 AM

Great, could be focused better.

Electronic M 09-28-2017 09:45 AM

Color level looks a bit high. When skin tones start to glow, look neon, look tan when their not I know to back down the color level a bit. Great picture aside from that.

SwizzyMan 09-28-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3190006)
Color level looks a bit high. When skin tones start to glow, look neon, look tan when their not I know to back down the color level a bit. Great picture aside from that.

Well... I do like my colors saturated :D I'll post some better pictures tonight once I fix the horizontal problem. I was in a rush to take the photos before the horizontal went off.

old_coot88 09-28-2017 01:12 PM

I remember a few customers back in the day who deliberately ran the color wide open. Their attitude was "I'm paying for a color set, so I want all the color it'll make." :headscrat

Tom S 09-28-2017 07:03 PM

I used to roll the vertical hold till the customer told me which picture looked the best. LOL

SwizzyMan 09-28-2017 09:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok NOW the horizontal is fixed. I fooled with the camera setting a bit and was able to get a darker picture and cant get the camera to focus correctly, but still...the picture is so much better in person. Thanks to Phil Nelson for the A/V input box idea! This TV is ready to move up north.

SwizzyMan 09-30-2017 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There have been these faint vertical lines all across the screen and I have been trying to just ignore it but it is driving me nuts. It goes away when the chroma is turned off so it has to be chroma related interference. Anyone know what these are and how I get rid of them?

old_tv_nut 09-30-2017 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwizzyMan (Post 3190110)
There have been these faint vertical lines all across the screen and I have been trying to just ignore it but it is driving me nuts. It goes away when the chroma is turned off so it has to be chroma related interference. Anyone know what these are and how I get rid of them?

I presume they are stationary? Do they vary in intensity with the color control setting? Can you see them when you have a picture on? Do they move left and right with the picture (or move differently than the picture) when you turn the H hold control a bit?

SwizzyMan 09-30-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3190113)
I presume they are stationary? Do they vary in intensity with the color control setting? Can you see them when you have a picture on? Do they move left and right with the picture (or move differently than the picture) when you turn the H hold control a bit?

Completely static. More visible when brightness is turned up. They dont move and they only go away when color is turned off. They also go away when there is no signal being injected. I have hooked it up to a cable box and a dvd player and both had the lines. Also move with the horizontal hold.