Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Hello from Nova Scotia (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=258018)

SkyLlama 04-29-2013 10:27 PM

Hello from Nova Scotia

Hello everyone,

I'm big into computers, consoles (video game) and radios, but TVs are a little new to me. I've never done much TV work because of being told for years now I'll kill myself. I'm ready to give them a try though as I really enjoy old B&W TVs and want a nice working one for myself.

I saw an ad on Kijiji in February and wrestled with the idea of buying two TVs until this last week when I made the drive and bought both for 60$. I don't know if I paid too much, but it's a bit to late to worry now.

These are the two sets I bought:

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/6629/k...wq5bquk4hp.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/9518/kg...o9okbqzhon.jpg

They look bad in those photos because those are the two photos that the guy posted on Kijiji. I've not taken my own photos yet, but I will soon.

One is an older Philips (early 50s?) and the other is well...I don't remember at the moment. I really like the looks of those older Philips, but it needs more work so I'm doing the other one first.

The guy I bought them from had just bought the house they were in to renovate and wanted them gone. The original owner had bought the house in the 40s and died a few years ago and there is a very high chance this is only the second house they've ever been in which I find pretty neat.

So those are what I've got and will be working on. I'll likely ask a lot of questions.

I've read that everyone who starts with TVs never stops, but hopefully I can beat the odds :)

So hello all, I hope I have a good time here.

mstaton 04-29-2013 10:41 PM

Welcome to the forum! Ask all the questions you like. Lots of info here.

Electronic M 04-29-2013 11:14 PM

Welcome!
If the radios you did were not tube sets then you might want to tackle a tube radio or two as a warmup exercise.

SkyLlama 04-29-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3068085)
Welcome!
If the radios you did were not tube sets then you might want to tackle a tube radio or two as a warmup exercise.

Nope, all the radios I've worked on are tube sets. I woulden't even be considering working on these old TVs without what I already know from what I've done on the old radios. :)

Sandy G 04-30-2013 06:27 AM

Nice t'have ya ! Welcome !

BigDavesTV 05-01-2013 09:17 AM

Welcome aboard, SkyLlama! I had to laugh when I read about your not tackling tv's, because you'd kill yourself! I can still hear my Mom and Dad say (when I was a toddler), "Dave, son, get out from behind the television, you'll get hurt!" as I used to crawl behind it and look at the tubes glowing through the vent holes in the back of the cabinet! :-) That was a 21" Sears Medalist B&W blonde console, that my folks bought new in 1960, when I was a baby, and it was our family TV until I was 11years old, in 1971, when we got our first color tv, a Sears Medalist 19" table model on a metal stand! earlier this year, I found and bought the identical Sears blonde console, just like the one we had when I was growing up! I started working in a TV Shop at age 17, what a thrill! That lasted over four years, then I still did repairs on the side for a while after, as I worked elsewhere!

BigDavesTV 05-01-2013 09:22 AM

Oops, by the way, I'd say you did ok on your TV purchases! I can't remember ever seeing a Philips TV, like the one in your picture, that's a nice looking set. Best of luck as you restore them!

BigDavesTV 05-01-2013 09:23 AM

Welcome aboard, SkyLlama! I had to laugh when I read about your not tackling tv's, because you'd kill yourself! I can still hear my Mom and Dad say (when I was a toddler), "Dave, son, get out from behind the television, you'll get hurt!" as I used to crawl behind it and look at the tubes glowing through the vent holes in the back of the cabinet! :-) That was a 21" Sears Medalist B&W blonde console, that my folks bought new in 1960, when I was a baby, and it was our family TV until I was 11years old, in 1971, when we got our first color tv, a Sears Medalist 19" table model on a metal stand! earlier this year, I found and bought the identical Sears blonde console, just like the one we had when I was growing up! I started working in a TV Shop at age 17, what a thrill! That lasted over four years, then I still did repairs on the side for a while after, as I worked elsewhere!

zeno 05-13-2013 12:22 AM

Welcome aboard !
Dont worry about getting killed, the real dangerous place is
at the AC like anything else. If you get bit by the HV you
hear a big snap & sweat a little, I have got it 100 times.
getting it from a hoz output plate is much more memorable &
can give a nice RF burn. Use an isolation xformer, relax & enjoy !

73 from NH Zeno