Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sharp 3LS36 junker? (mini color TV) (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=58760)

Phil Nelson 01-29-2006 02:13 PM

Sharp 3LS36 junker? (mini color TV)

I hope this is not too far off-topic for this forum. I have a Sharp 3LS36 miniature color TV. Picture a vaguely Predicta-like pedestal TV, with a color CRT, shrunk down to around 7 inches high, with a pink plastic case.

Mine has a case of the vertical squish:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/temp...LS36Screen.jpg

I sent it off to a friend who has lots of experience working with solid-state TVs. He replaced various electrolytics and finally tracked the problem down to an IC, which of course is no longer available.

Question: does anyone out there have a junky 3LS36 from which I could try to salvage the needed board? Long shot, I know . . . .

andy 01-29-2006 08:00 PM

Big Dave 01-29-2006 08:03 PM

If it's japanese, it's junk.

kx250rider 01-29-2006 11:53 PM

I'm in total agreement with Andy. If it's squashed vertically, but still has a partial picture, it is VERY unlikely to be the IC. Just my experience anyway. It's caps or cold solder joints 9 of 10 times.

If you do need the IC, you can probably still get it from one of several sources. Post the original number that's on the IC, and someone on this site can probably look it up and give equivalents from other mfrs.

And I also agree that Sharp is often called JUNK, which it is in general! But this tiny pink 3" set is neat and collectable. There's one on eBay now, and the last one went for over $250. It looks like a female version of a Sony KV-4000 :scratch2:

Charles

Sandy G 01-30-2006 06:30 AM

I have one, it has an EXCELLENT picture, not too happy about the Pepto-Bismol colored cabinet, would prefer a black or white version. Think they made a silver version, too. Seen more of the Titty-Nipple Pink ones, tho.-Sandy G.

Phil Nelson 01-30-2006 01:10 PM

The chip is IC-801. On the schematic it's labeled X801 CR580005CE and in another place X801 H-IX0675CEZZ.

Any one out there want to take a crack at fixing it? With my eyesight and fumble fingers, this kind of work is beyond me. I'd be happy to pay shipping both ways plus parts & reasonable labor. I have the schematic and it's still packed for shipping.

I would just cross the whole thing off to experience, but I paid more than I should because the forked-tongue seller claimed it "worked fine." This house already has too many shelf queens.

Below, for what it's worth, are the remarks from my friend who tried to fix it.

-------------
Well I hit a dead end on this set. I spent quite a bit of time with the schematic measuring voltages. There are a few missing voltages on that big IC chip right in the vertical section of it. Its a jungle chip containing several circuits.

I took the schematic down to Brad for him to look at. He gave me a few
pointers or `last shots` to try. He looked the ic chip up on his massive system and at a tech only Sharp distributer (he does Sharp warranty). The chip is no longer available. We looked through his old stock and came close but no dice. We figured that was why the original owner did not get it fixed.

I replaced one transistor (and those larger capacitors you replaced with ones that fit better) and did all the things suggested from Brad and it looks like the chip is bad. If its not then there is some real strange hidden surface mount part bad somewhere. Your best bet would be to hunt for another junker beat up set & switch boards. That IC chip is on a computer grade board (solder clear through the board) and the pits to get out without a solder sucker station.

We were both suprised at how advanced the insides (boards) were for its age and the fact its only a tiny color tv set ... and all the surface mount stuff it has.
-------------

PeteK 01-31-2006 10:14 PM

Just out of interest, why are Sharp tv's considered junk in general ? I have one small 9" Sharp color set from the mid 70's, a Linytron, and it still has a great picture and color. Only paid a couple of bucks for it, more for it's esthetics than anything, just a nicely designed little set. Can't speak for the innards though.

andy 01-31-2006 10:24 PM

kc8adu 02-02-2006 07:25 AM

in the early 80's sharp sets were plagued with bad flybacks.
they did have decent crt's though.they often got robbed to fix the zeniths with crappy crt.
later ones had solder joint issues but were ok otherwise.

kx250rider 02-02-2006 11:40 AM

When we were discussing "best & worst" I forgot about the Sharp 25" cheapie from the late 80s... It had a rotten picture right out of the box, and I can't remember EVER repairing one that stayed repaired after a power supply failure (that 3S4M) regulator :thumbsdn:

But I guess the 27" version at least had a decent tube...

Charles

Jeffhs 02-02-2006 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy
Compared to others of the time, Sharp TVs tended to be lower quality and lacking in features. They weren't awful in any way, but they were below average in everey way. They may have been ok in the 70's, but by the 80's they were nothing to remember. I would take just about any Japanese brand over an 80's Sharp. I never cared for their VCRs either.

I agree with you a thousand percent as to Sharp TVs being below average. I had a Sharp 12" b&w portable TV that was made in 1969 or so (I got it new the following year). Lasted all of three years (and worked very well during that time), then developed some sort of odd intermittent around the tuner. I never was able to get it to work as it should after that (the picture eventually went out altogether, although there was still a raster), so, in 1973, out to the trash it went. I've thought about getting a Sharp 24-inch TV eventually, but after reading your post, I'll be thinking at least twice before replacing either of my 19" sets with one of that brand.

BTW, it's odd, I think, that today's Sharp TVs are below average compared to other makes. I have a Sharp Carousel microwave which I bought new in 1999; it has worked almost flawlessly ever since, except for some slight problems with the door switches. Seems odd to me that Sharp's TVs would be such trouble to keep in good repair, yet their microwaves, like the Energizer batteries, just seem to keep going and going and going. Why Sharp would build its microwaves to last this long without problems, but the company builds TVs that don't last more than a few years, is beyond me. :dunno:

KentTeffeteller 02-26-2006 09:01 PM

Hi Jeff and all,

Agree with you about Sharp TV sets. Their microwaves are superb though. Ours is 4 years old and reliable. Our old Sharp went 9 years and the carousel motor was the only troublesome item on it. The magnetron tube finally died which killed it. Cheap too! 73's de K4KT!

andy 02-27-2006 01:14 AM

kc8adu 02-27-2006 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy
I wouldn't consider 9 years that old for a microwave. My Amana is 29 years old and working great!

i have a sanyo micro/convec that has a 1976 date stamp.
i got it from the curb 15 years ago with a bad bearing in the stirrer fan.
$5 part and still works well.
got a brand new toshiba 2m172 stashed just in case.

kc8adu 02-27-2006 02:06 AM

maybe this can get moved to rect/ss so its at least close to being on topic?
yeah its veered a bit :-)