Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage Home Gaming (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Picked yp a commofore 64c (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265118)

radioactive 09-03-2015 08:41 PM

Picked yp a commofore 64c

Traded a guy today locally for a old radio I had kicking around for a commodore 64c complete with monitor ,disk drive 4 controllers 6 game cartridges plus a shit load of disks with everything from games to programs.going to have some fun

Olorin67 09-03-2015 09:50 PM

64c? Was that the later version that had a white plastic case that looked like a 128?

Titan1a 09-03-2015 10:56 PM

Correct!

radioactive 09-04-2015 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a picture

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php...1&d=1441378556

Username1 09-04-2015 04:44 PM

Nice ! Commodore computers were pretty dam good in those days !

JBL GUY 09-04-2015 07:20 PM

Very nice!

I wish that I still had mine, but health and life issues forced a major downsizing.

To start I had dual disk drives, two printers and various accessories including a 300 baud modem that I used to check into some of the local bulletin boards.

How many here remember GEOS for the Commodore 64?

At that time there were a number of interfaces for the Commodore that were aimed specifically at amateur radio operators such as Morse code (CW), RTTY and the really modern digital Packet Radio (using devices called TNCs-Tiny Node Controllers).

And there were interfaces that could control your amateur radio rig and even your antenna rotator. At one time I used a Commodore to control one of my repeaters.

Again, congratulations on your find. I am sure you will have some fun with it.

Titan1a 09-04-2015 11:48 PM

I still run GEOS 2.0 on my 64's and 128.

rca2000 09-04-2015 11:59 PM

Old computers do NOT really interest me. You can't DO anything with them...and unless it is a REAL old one like an altair...---to ME...there is NO "sex appeal" to a 1980's or so computer..

Now..a small MAINFRAME...that could be made to WORK...might be appealing...if I had the ROOM for it.

Dude111 09-05-2015 09:11 AM

I love my Commodore 64 :) (I also have a white one)

Electronic M 09-05-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioactive (Post 3142635)
a picture

That joystick is the best Atari 2600 compatible stick I've tried. I have a pair for my 2600, and almost never use the factory ones.

I could have had a rig like that if I collected computers....Skycraft surplus in Orlando had a commodor monitor some years back, and there is an Anti-Q shop in TN that has the rest of one.

Dude111 09-05-2015 11:25 PM

I dunno... I like the original atari joysticks,they work fine on C64 :)

ChrisW6ATV 09-07-2015 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3142730)
That joystick is the best Atari 2600 compatible stick I've tried. I have a pair for my 2600, and almost never use the factory ones.

As soon as I saw your post, I looked at the picture... Yes. "Your stick-o won't go whacko, when it's a Wico!"

Yes, Wico really had TV commercials for their joysticks. That is how the 1980s were. :)

Electronic M 09-07-2015 02:11 AM

I've had one of those sticks open and they are built like arcade machines (read tanks), and the feel of playing with one is closer to arcade joysticks than any console controller I've ever laid hands on.....Play them for a few minutes and they will make going back to the factory Atari 2600 controllers feel like a sad joke.

MRX37 09-07-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rca2000 (Post 3142702)
Old computers do NOT really interest me. You can't DO anything with them...

Uh yes you can... if you really know what you're doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZIzK9bCI9Q

(This is a demo produced for the VIC 20, the precursor to the Commodore 64)

CoogarXR 09-08-2015 08:45 AM

When I had the space, I used to hoard old computers. It's mostly nostalgia for me. 80s computers were what I started out on.

I still have a couple TRS-80 Color Computers, a couple C64s, an Amiga and some other random stuff lying around that I haven't got around to selling yet, lol.

user181 09-08-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Old computers do NOT really interest me. You can't DO anything with them...

It all depends what you want to do with them and your expectations. There are groups of collectors out there who make all sorts of software & hardware for "vintage" computers to do modern/unexpected things, such as Ethernet cards for Apple II or hooking up an old teletype to a Linux box and having it print a Twitter feed.

Sure, old machines aren't practical for modern everyday computing needs, but they still are pretty capable, especially for secondary uses or to hobbyists/collectors.

ChrisW6ATV 09-09-2015 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3142890)
I've had one of those (Wico) sticks open and they are built like arcade machines (read tanks), and the feel of playing with one is closer to arcade joysticks than any console controller I've ever laid hands on...

That makes perfect sense, since Wico WAS a major supplier of parts to the arcade industry before they got into the consumer joystick business.

I still have a pair of the Wico joysticks for the Atari 5200, with mechanical levers to switch between analog operation and pseudo-digital return-to-center operation. They are ideal for that machine.

jbivy 09-13-2015 08:51 AM

Awesome score, these old 64's have a large following online. You can now find nearly any program or game ever written for them online.

Im currently building a cassette player emulator adapter for my Vic 20 (will work on the c64 too!). You download games to a usb drive and plug them into the adapter, allowing you to have play anything. Only 20-ish bucks to build :)

http://sweetlilmre.blogspot.com/2014...-c64-tape.html

Electronic M 09-14-2015 12:37 AM

I know of one with no monitor for $50 at a thrift.

centralradio 09-25-2015 11:23 PM

I have the commodore family here.The Commodore color monitors make good VCR monitors.I have a few here.

jbivy 10-09-2015 10:25 PM

Easy as pie way to get online, get your butt on telnet. for about 15 bucks :)

https://1200baud.wordpress.com/2012/...-less-than-15/

dsd-13 10-17-2015 06:04 PM

That things looks VERY white... or was it just the light in the photo?

If it's really that white... I dont think that they were THAT white originally.

colorfixer 10-19-2015 01:27 AM

Wico (wye-co) made many of the joysticks (and other controls) used in the arcades. They were good stuff that just *never* broke. They were also made in America.

I hated the cheap Atari 2600 style sticks commodore sold which used those stupid steel spring buttons against a circuit board. If the switches didn't fail, the white inner stick/contact pusher failed. The real Atari ones were no better...

Dude111 10-21-2015 03:31 AM

I love the original atari joysticks that came with my 2600..... Much better than the plastic pieces of garbage that came with my Atari flashback!! (Which I got rid of,I didnt like any games on it and the games dont LOOK THE SAME on that thing))

rca2000 10-21-2015 11:23 AM

For those who like old computers::an Old TRS_80 model4 on Shopgoodwill in CA.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-25047607.html

Myself---NOT interested.

CoogarXR 10-21-2015 11:42 AM

I have a soft-spot for TRS-80s. I would impulse-buy that Model 4 if it was close and I could pick it up. I doubt goodwill could ship it properly. The last one I bought on ebay ended up smashed.

Dude111 10-21-2015 09:14 PM

A friend of mine has a TRS-80 .. I dont think he liked it that much as he always called it "TRASH 80"

Ah man!!

rca2000 10-21-2015 09:47 PM

Back in the mid-90's...when I worked for the Tandy Service center--the computer guys called the TRASH 80's ...Too !! (this was during the era of Pentium 1-2, maybe P3 had come out--before I left in late summer of 97.).

rca2000 10-23-2015 12:03 AM

ANOTHER vintage computer on the GW site :: This one is an Apple II.
Comes wiht drive and mouse...

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-25136193.html

lnx64 11-29-2015 01:15 PM

Quote:

Old computers do NOT really interest me. You can't DO anything with them.

Sir, I have an 8086 that is both an FTP server, and also used as my IRC client at times. On the internet. Also, it makes a good banking computer, because if anyone broke in, they aren't going to steal it, or the floppy disks the bank data is actually on. Also, I REALLY love those buckling spring keyboards, and a real monochrome screen telling me how poor I really am.

Also, this 8086 has logged enough days on IRC to actually help fight some crimes that happened on a channel I opped when I wasn't looking. Data forwarded to police, arrests made. So, I find that quite useful, and it DID something.

DavGoodlin 09-30-2016 09:06 AM

This commodore is doing what Non-Durable specialized equipment does for much more $$$$ I actually miss green-only monitors :)http://hothardware.com/news/battered...to-repair-shop

The C64 my family got without a monitor. I tried many TV's but the best monitor was a 1972 Trinitron 12", so good we invested $100 for a new Sony CRT - still have it too!

CoogarXR 09-30-2016 01:07 PM

I had a TRS-80 VM-2 Green monochrome monitor as my CCTV monitor at my old house for years. I got lazy when I moved, and left it for the new owners. I kinda wish I could have kept it. I'm such a hoarder, lol.

Dude111 10-01-2016 03:58 AM

Nothing wrong with keeping good things :)

centralradio 10-03-2016 11:32 AM

I still use my Win98 computer and it runs better then my Vista computer which is the highest version of windows I have here because the newer OS suck.Time to get a new Mac.

My C64 is somewhere here but the manual is aside of me here.Also the same with the 4 Commodore monitors.They make great video monitors for VCR and any other video device.

Electronic M 10-03-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centralradio (Post 3171140)
I still use my Win98 computer and it runs better then my Vista computer which is the highest version of windows I have here because the newer OS suck.Time to get a new Mac.

My C64 is somewhere here but the manual is aside of me here.Also the same with the 4 Commodore monitors.They make great video monitors for VCR and any other video device.

Vista is, was, and always has been crap. You should look for a cheap install disc for Win 7 or 10 (10 don't like some older video cards though). Win 98 is fossilized dinosaur crap....We had 98 with dial up into ~2006, it was slower than the second coming!...Almost every step in getting that turkey online (and many other things) would take long enough that ya might as well make a sandwich and eat it while you wait....If there are internet connected computers in hell, then they are running 98 with dial up. :thumbsdn:

Dude111 11-28-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin
This commodore is doing what Non-Durable specialized equipment does for much more $$$$ I actually miss green-only monitors :)

We had one in school and my commodore monitor will go ALL GREEN also......

Titan1a 11-29-2017 01:30 AM

My latest Windoze is 7 ultimate. I run M$ from DOS 3.11 to 7 except win 1,2,3 and DOS upto 7. My preference for the "dungeon" is Linux with three systems awaiting updating. I'm starting to concentrate on my Tandy Coco III. Try multi-user, multitasking. I also have a VIC-20, Commodore 64's, Plus/4, 128 and two A4000's with video toasters.

Dude111 08-01-2022 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by centralradio
I still use my Win98 computer and it runs better then my Vista computer which is the highest version of windows I have here because the newer OS suck.....
Excellent!!

I do hope ya still have her http://www.videokarma.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Jeffhs 08-07-2022 10:17 PM

I had a Commodore 64 years ago, when I lived in a Cleveland suburb. I had the computer set up for amateur packet radio for awhile, but ran into a problem when I accidentally unplugged the packet modem from the computer while the latter was still on. This messed up the computer badly, of course; I had to take it to a local computer repair shop. The computer worked very well after the repairs, but the experience taught me a lesson I knew I would never forget: Do not, under any circumstances, unplug a cable from an operating computer. There is one exception, though, and that applies to USB cables. These can be connected and disconnected while the computer is operating; however, this is the only exception to the rule about connecting or disconnecting cables while the machine is on. Do that with any other connection and you will destroy who knows how many components, literally in the blink of an eye. There are no second chances except, as I said, with USB cables.

Jeffhs 08-07-2022 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3171146)
Vista is, was, and always has been crap. You should look for a cheap install disc for Win 7 or 10 (10 don't like some older video cards though). Win 98 is fossilized dinosaur crap....We had 98 with dial up into ~2006, it was slower than the second coming!...Almost every step in getting that turkey online (and many other things) would take long enough that ya might as well make a sandwich and eat it while you wait....If there are internet connected computers in hell, then they are running 98 with dial up. :thumbsdn:

I have a comic strip (B. C.) from an old newspaper which shows one of the characters looking at some turkeys going "gobblegobblegobbleGOOGLEgobble..." The character immediately exclaimed, "Turkeys got search engines!" I liked that comic strip so much I saved it, and still have it to this day. I have another comic strip (Ziggy) I saved from another newspaper some years ago, in which Ziggy was visited by a couple of Martians. One of them looked at Ziggy and promptly said, "Talk about a primitive planet! This poor shlub still has dial-up!" This strip is taped directly below the B. C. strip I just mentioned. Both strips are mounted on the inside of a door covering a small cabinet above my desk.

BTW, I never knew Windows Vista was as bad as you say it is. I have never used that particular operating system (and never will at this point in my life), although I did use Windows 95 and 98 for a long time.

I gave up on all Windows computer OSes several years ago and did not look back. I now use Ubtuntu 18.04 LTS with my Dell OptiPlex 755 computer. Works great with almost every program I've tried it with. I say "almost" because there is one amateur radio related program (the terminal program for packet radio) I used under Windows; however, it simply will not work under Ubuntu, no matter how I try to get it to operate. This is no loss to me, though, since I had to give up most of my ham radio stuff in 1999 when I moved from a three-bedroom house with a basement to a one-bedroom apartment. My current amateur radio activity is on 2-meter FM (I am a member of a local radio club which has a repeater, N8BC/R, so I am not totally off the air), but I have yet to figure out a way to connect my Icom IC-T22A handheld to my computer. I'm sure there is a way to do just that, but if there is, I haven't found it yet.

Oh, well. One of these days . . .