Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early B&W and Projection TV (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   1954 Douglas (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270015)

Countryford 01-17-2018 04:43 PM

1954 Douglas

6 Attachment(s)
So on Sunday, I went to Santa Ana California from Phoenix. Roughly 700 miles round trip to get this Douglas. This is now my second Douglas TV. The guy I got it from said he got it about 6 months ago from an estate sale. He had wanted to fix it, although he wasn't too sure how, but his wife told him no that it had to go.

The cabinet is nothing special. It does have a 27 inch picture tube. The other thing about Douglas, is that the controls for the tv and the turner are not in the tv cabinet, but in a chairside table. Originally the chairside table would have had a turntable in it, but this one was long gone.

The only difference between my other one and this one, is the chairside table. This one it has a pull out drawer where the turntable sat. My other one, the top flips up and the turntable is there.

Countryford 01-17-2018 04:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The original picture tube was replaced in 1961. I haven't tested it yet to see if it is good. I'm hoping so.

The main reason why I got the set is because of the original paperwork that came with it. One is this brochure card. It talks about adding UHF to the TV. It also talks about how color TV is in the works and that, Douglas is making it easy to convert your TV from B&W to color. It states in 30 minutes or less, they could remove the picture tube and chassis and replace it with a color one. It suggested that the person wait until they started producing larger color TV screens, but that they would be willing to swap a smaller color screen into it. The last thing it mentions is "Pay As you go TV".

I found this picture online. It is supposedly a Douglas color TV from 54 or thereabouts. It appears that the cabinet is the same, but that the color TV was just swapped in, as their ad states they can do.

Countryford 01-17-2018 04:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is the other piece of paperwork that came with it. A dealer brochure. It shows the 3 different cabinet styles that you could get. The maple, mahogany, or oak. Both of mine are the mahogany. I've not seen either of the other styles before.

It did have a schematic for the tuner as well as a packing sheet. One other thing that was with it, was a printout of a thread on www.antiqueradio.com. In that thread, it talks about another Douglas TV that someone has. That someone is me. He had a printout of my thread talking about the Douglas TV.

Now I have two of them. I need to get at least one going.

Eric H 01-17-2018 05:51 PM

So did you get a tuner with this one?

Robert Grant 01-17-2018 05:56 PM

WTH is this "3-D effect"? I can only imagine it's pure hooey (unless they went and silvered the inside surface of the cover glass - which would only make the picture worse with double images).

old_tv_nut 01-17-2018 06:41 PM

Every improvement in picture contrast or definition was subject to marketing hype as "like 3D" or "more dimensional" or such. Even widescreen movies like Cinerama and CinemaScope used this hype.

Countryford 01-17-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric H (Post 3194898)
So did you get a tuner with this one?

Yes. The chairside console has the tuner in it.

MadMan 01-17-2018 09:44 PM

So what you're saying is... it has a remote control side table?

Noice.

old_coot88 01-17-2018 11:50 PM

Big honkin' power xfmr looks like 25 cycle. Wonder what's the story behind that. Maybe to make it 'universal':saywhat: (since 25 cycle xfmrs are perfectly happy on 60 cycle).

Where is the IF strip located, with the main chassis or in the 'remote' console?

Is the 27" CRT a 90 degree deflection with standard big neck, or something else?

So many questions since I had never seen or heard of the brand before.

madRad45 01-18-2018 12:44 PM

Nice save of an uncommon TV. Didn't know the chairside unit was with it, but that's a pleasant surprise.

Love the documentation, too. Good marketing hype... "the most talked about Miracle Chassis in America today". Probably most had never heard of it.

Now you just need to find one of those color units!

old_coot88 01-18-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madRad45 (Post 3194971)
...Probably most had never heard of it.

Sorta like the Douglas DC-5 airliner. http://www.bing.com/search?q=douglas...FORM=QBLH&sp=2