Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New Aquisition - Admiral Roundie (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=257949)

hi_volt 04-20-2013 09:54 PM

New Aquisition - Admiral Roundie

6 Attachment(s)
Another roundie for the collection. This is the Admiral set that Azbigsam was looking at a few weeks ago. He decided to pass on it, so I just couldn't let it go. It's now sitting in my living room waiting to be cleaned up a little. The model number is L-7179.

The cabinet has some dirt and a few scuffs and scratches probably from being stored by the last owner, but nothing that can't be cleaned up with a little Gojo and some Old English. The chassis is, indeed, a CTC11, and is quite clean. Obviously the set was never in a smoker's home and was well maintained over its lifetime, judging by the excellent condition of the chassis and general overall good condition of the cabinet. It has had a rebuilt grade B CRT installed at some point, which checks strong. I haven't turned it on yet, but Sam saw it running a yesterday and said the picture was good, so I'll probably give it a go on my variac either tomorrow or Monday. The grill cloth needs to be replaced. It isn't torn, just slowly disintegrating.

rcaman 04-20-2013 10:13 PM

awesome score. best of luck with it.....

Eric H 04-20-2013 10:22 PM

Very nice looking set! :thmbsp:

marty59 04-20-2013 10:57 PM

That's got to be rare for an Admiral set!

holmesuser01 04-21-2013 04:39 PM

A CTC-11!! Nice. Good luck with it!

Tony V 04-21-2013 05:05 PM

Love it!

zenithfan1 04-22-2013 06:47 AM

I remember this one, great score!

BigDavesTV 04-22-2013 10:01 AM

Nice, and an "Admirable Admiral!" That CTC11 sure is cleaner than mine, on my'61 RCA, it came from the basement bar of a heavy smokers home, nice score!

oldtvman 04-24-2013 03:51 PM

These were the best sets Admiral ever made, once they started building their own chassis everything went downhill. Never liked neither Admiral or Motorola sets, colors were never very accurate and pictures were very soft.

Sandy G 04-24-2013 04:02 PM

Ya done GREAT !!

hi_volt 04-27-2013 11:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some screen shots. Obviously needs some adjustments and repair work. Bluish tint, no chroma, out of convergence, etc. Picture tube tests fine. At least it has raster and gets a picture and sound. Not a bad start.

zenithfan1 04-27-2013 12:42 PM

Not a bad start you say. That's a great start.:) It should work fine after a recap. You did a wonderful job cleaning that up too.

hi_volt 04-27-2013 01:11 PM

Thanks Zenithfan. Cleaning up the cabinet wasn't too bad, as it was in pretty good shape when I got it. I don't know what I'm going to do about the grille cloth yet. I need to check my stash to see if I have anything close to what's on there. Unfortunately, there's really no hope of salvaging the original cloth, as it falls apart as soon as you touch it.

bgadow 04-27-2013 09:17 PM

Great period look to this set. I like how easy it is to pull the chassis on these; I think these are more service friendly than the newer RCA designs.

hi_volt 05-03-2013 10:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some minor progress on the Admiral. Got a color picture after some adjustments and running the tuner across the channels a few times. Looks like the tuner and controls need a good cleaning. The artifacts in the second picture are from the VCR tracking being off a little....my cheap VCR doesn't have tracking controls. I'm going to need to take the chassis out to change the grille cloth when it arrives in the mail, so I'll clean all the controls at that time. Will probably need a recap at some point. I'm being careful not to run it too long, and I've got it on a fuse protected variac.