Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   CTC 10 Monticello find (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=249411)

droptop 11-23-2010 08:06 PM

CTC 10 Monticello find

4 Attachment(s)
I got a call from a friend Sunday who spotted this set on CL earlier that morning and thought I might be interested. I phoned and scheduled a trip about 25 miles from my home to take a look. It’s a CTC 10 “Monticello”. The 21CYP22 is a Colorama that checks strong. The flyback looks good. I’ll power it up after I pull the chassis for a good look at everything and put in new filters.

The female seller bought it at an estate auction a couple months ago and just listed it late Saturday night. She added that the cord had been cut off so she removed the back cover and connected a cheater cord from an old Zenith table radio “to see the tubes light up-then the screen lit up with lots of colored snow”. I was assured it wasn't left on long because of warning information found on the net.

The cabinet is in nice shape except for some scratches and rubs in the finish here and there. It has the three speaker sound system and lots of room inside the cabinet. I saw it on Ed Reitan’s site and it appears to be the first model in the Early American Maple style cabinet. Later models I’ve seen in this style took on smaller cabinet dimensions as this jewel is huge. It measures 42”wide, 24” deep and 34” tall. It sure didn’t look that big in the CL photo….although I didn’t have the room I couldn’t pass it up. The seller seemed educated about the set but also wanted it out of her living room. I was only too happy to help. The photos are of the set right after unloading it into the garage.

How are these sets on flybacks? I've found no tags that might indicate dates of previous service anywhere on the set and don't know how to interpret date codes to tell the date of CRT. It looks to have had several tubes and the 2 mfd electrolytic on the video amp board replaced at some point.

RobtWB 11-23-2010 08:24 PM

I'll let others comment on the restoration of the set, but damn, that set is gorgeous!

miniman82 11-23-2010 08:29 PM

Very pretty, nice scroe!

Eric H 11-23-2010 09:36 PM

Fantastic set!

A good 21CYP alone is worth it's weight in gold these days.

I don't know how they are on Flybacks, like most old RCA probably pretty hard if you don't adjust the Cathode current and keep everything ship shape.
A small fan on the HV cage couldn't hurt either.

Maybe we need to come up with a set of Stewart Warner gauges like we used to have on cars.
Fly Temp, Fly Current, Total Amps being drawn, HV. Auto Shut down if parameters exceeded. :D

bgadow 11-23-2010 10:46 PM

I've thought of a set of guages myself...that auto shutdown is a good idea!

The CTC-10 had one of the nicest looking lineups-this one's a beaut!

Electrohome 11-23-2010 11:11 PM

I have this exact same TV, but mine is the remote version, also a CTC 10 called The Lockhaven I got in about 2000. I also have the original "Wireless Wizzard" remote as well for this set. Mine is also in a maple cabinet as well. This is a 1960-61 model RCA 21-inch roundie set. On the remote version, there's a small, square metal covered hole right under the TV screen. The tuner is also motorized on the remote version of this set as well. Check out Ed Reitan's early color TV site for more details.

holmesuser01 11-24-2010 09:05 PM

My CTC-10C has its original flyback. I'd give a model number, but I dont know it.

That beautiful maple set makes my set look like it should hit the road!!

freakaftr8 11-25-2010 07:00 PM

Wow! Nice 10! im drooling

jpdylon 11-26-2010 12:08 AM

That is a beautiful set. Just love the grain on that veneer.

LADR 07-31-2017 04:40 PM

Im the new owner of this television. YAY!!

Tom S 08-01-2017 07:30 AM

I have the same set since 2012 working great.

Zenith26kc20 08-01-2017 12:44 PM

I don't know if that set has the same bumblebee capacitor my CTC9C had, but if sync/agc gets touchy there is a small capacitor under the IF strip cover. It gets leaky and is hidden expertly. It made me do some digging and the one in mine was leaky when hot.
These are good performers. My 9C has its original flyback. Like mentioned before, dipping the horizontal output tube current is essential to keeping the flyback healthy!
Great find!

matt.caputo 08-01-2017 08:06 PM

I also have this same set. It has its original fly and strong 21CY. Shows a fantastic picture, and has full tone from the 3 speaker sound system. Great find!

LADR 08-04-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 (Post 3187493)
I don't know if that set has the same bumblebee capacitor my CTC9C had, but if sync/agc gets touchy there is a small capacitor under the IF strip cover. It gets leaky and is hidden expertly. It made me do some digging and the one in mine was leaky when hot.
These are good performers. My 9C has its original flyback. Like mentioned before, dipping the horizontal output tube current is essential to keeping the flyback healthy!
Great find!

It indeed has a bumblebomb cap.