Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   21FJP22 Availability (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269179)

JoeyPinball 06-18-2017 09:29 PM

21FJP22 Availability

Hey Everyone! My name is Joe. I've been good friends with forum regulars like David Sica and John Tyminski for years, but I;m finally starting to get into the game. I'm here on this forum because I want to get myself a round tube color set and I'm going to need some advice moving forward. Firt off, I have an opportunity at a free RCA CTC-16 set. It looks really nice, but it has a bad cataract, and the current owner says that there's something wrong with "the long part of the tube." I'm going to assume the worst and guess that it's been necked. Is it worth picking up this set for free and then finding and buying a 21FJP22 to de-cataract and install in it? This would be the first color set I'd be working on. One of my friend's who is on this forum has insisted to me that if I want a round color set, I'm wasting my time unless I get a CTC-10 or earlier and anything newer is not worth my time, whereas another is telling me to go for it, since, if I screw something up, its no big loss.
If I can get the complete chassis for free, how much would I be likely to spend on a rebuild-able 21FJP22?

Thanks
Joe

Kamakiri 06-19-2017 07:42 AM

Depends what you want to do with it, really. Personally I find the CTC-11 the easiest and most serviceable of the early color RCAs....they don't have crammed chassis and jumper issues like the 15 and up, and picture tubes are much more available.

A 16 isn't a bad set though, especially for free!! Since nobody's rebuilding FJPs right now, your best bet is to test that one and see if it just needs cataract surgery (common) or if you need a replacement tube. Good testing FJPs were selling at the ETF Museum for around $150 IIRC.

timmy 06-19-2017 08:22 AM

You can probably use a 21fbp22 with the front safety glass using double face tape to hold the safety glass to the face of the tube.

miniman82 06-19-2017 09:37 AM

A 16 isn't a waste of time, they are good performers when tuned up right just like any of them. If it's free you really have nothing to lose, but it would help if we knew where you are located.

old_coot88 06-19-2017 10:01 AM

If you have the opportunity, open the HV cage and take a whiff for any sign of scorching. Those were notorious for eating flybacks. "The nose knows". Also check the degauss thermistor to see if its leads have become loose (almost universally the case).

JoeyPinball 06-19-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniman82 (Post 3185496)
A 16 isn't a waste of time, they are good performers when tuned up right just like any of them. If it's free you really have nothing to lose, but it would help if we knew where you are located.

The Gorgeous Garden Stare

StellarTV 06-19-2017 11:28 PM

I've got a couple of good 21FJP22s but pickup would need to be arranged.

miniman82 06-20-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyPinball (Post 3185587)
The Gorgeous Garden Stare

You're real close to joe, did you wind up with some of his sets?

JoeyPinball 06-20-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniman82 (Post 3185652)
You're real close to joe, did you wind up with some of his sets?

I got my GE Concierge Set from a Joe

miniman82 06-21-2017 06:23 PM

He was 'technicolor' on here for a bit, but doesn't post anymore.