Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   "New" CTC-10 Henredon and CTC-9 (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=255844)

StellarTV 10-06-2012 04:25 PM

"New" CTC-10 Henredon and CTC-9

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, first post in a looooong time. Since before Audiokarma 'split' I believe...

So I just picked up a CTC-10 in a custom "Henredon" cabinet from a local gentleman here in Folsom. He advertised it on craigslist and it was just a fluke that I happened to see it since I don't usually look on CL for old TVs. I picked up this beautiful set form him, along with a CTC-9 with a sheared off neck. He said he actually used to post here so maybe some of you know the sets or have spoken to him before.

Problem on the CTC-10 is the CRT is a bit weak and I'm looking to see if anyone has a color brightener they would like to part with?

The CTC-9 will need a CRT and, well, we know how that can go.

Sandy G 10-06-2012 04:50 PM

Welcome ! 2 nice sets ! Look to be in VERY good cosmetic condition.

kvflyer 10-06-2012 05:08 PM

Hey, welcome back! Nice sets and I am very sorry that the one was "necked". Hope you get access to good CRTs so that these sets can be brought back to life. Please, keep us posted...

hi_volt 10-06-2012 06:51 PM

Nice looking sets, and great score!

joemama99 10-06-2012 10:29 PM

Wow-power tuning,too!

bgadow 10-06-2012 10:38 PM

If you can't find one closer, let me know, I'm sure I have a spare 21" brightener.

tvcollector 10-07-2012 04:48 AM

Nice set, and yes I know how that can be with CRTS, I have two sets that needed CRTS and both times when I found a replacement, it turned into a nightmare, and I'm still trying to get a refund out of Greyhound since early this year.. If you are going to get a CRT I would recommend using U-Ship.. It's a bit more pricey but you most likely won't have a DOA..

StellarTV 10-07-2012 02:35 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemama99 (Post 3050094)
Wow-power tuning,too!

Yeah the set also has a wireless remote control, but it takes a very strange battery. Anyone know anything about these?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvcollector (Post 3050118)
Nice set, and yes I know how that can be with CRTS, I have two sets that needed CRTS and both times when I found a replacement, it turned into a nightmare, and I'm still trying to get a refund out of Greyhound since early this year.. If you are going to get a CRT I would recommend using U-Ship.. It's a bit more pricey but you most likely won't have a DOA..

I can imagine the heartbreak of finding a CRT broken in shipment... I have a '64 Magnavox that I'm almost considering 'retiring,' but only for the purpose of saving the CTC9, which has a very good tube in it. Looks like the tube in the CTC9 is (was) a 21CYP22 without a bonded faceplate. the roundie in the Magnavox has the bonded faceplace and not sure of the tube type... looks like a 21FJP22 or similar but any remote chance of putting a CRT with a bonded faceplate in the CTC9?

jstout66 10-07-2012 04:29 PM

Does it look like your remote takes the weird round 9 volt battery?
I had a 67 Magnavox that used one of those, and I think the CTC-31 I used to own took one as well.... If so, I had special ordered some through Radio Shack (circa 2001)
Hopefully they still offer them, but I remember it was kind of a bitch back then.

StellarTV 10-07-2012 07:35 PM

Yep, that's got to be the one... if it 'll fit; maybe I can try a modern 9v...

jstout66 10-07-2012 07:39 PM

Good luck, but check with radio shack, they should be able to look it up if you have the old battery, or the battery type is listed in your remote.

ohohyodafarted 10-07-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvcollector (Post 3050118)

I have shipped many crts in Grayhound and never had a single one break, whereas UPS will usually destroy a tube. IF Grayhound broke your tubes then the blame likely lies with poor packaging on the part of the seller. I pack my tubes in double boxed double wall corregated cartons with bubble wrap between the boxes. And always place hand holes in the sides so the bus baggage handlers can grab the boxes and hang on to them easily. You should blame poor packaging not Grayhound.

And BTW I have had poor experiences with Uship. the carriers are often very un-reliable and I have found that I can often beat the Uship prices using commercial trucking companies.

Einar72 10-08-2012 02:54 AM

I agree with Bob! I've been very happy with The 'Hound for shipping and receiving TV's and CRT's.

Don't trust just any shipper. When I bought my pinball machine (the one in my avatar) on ePay from somone in Florida, the first thing it did was disappear into the shipper's warehouse. For about a month, we heard nothing from anyone! :sigh: Lotsa luck with Shipping Wars, I'll take my drama queens ON the TV, not delivering it!

holmesuser01 10-08-2012 08:39 AM

I've successfully installed a 21FJP22 in a set that was built for a 21CYP22. There are slight color issues, but I've never done the modifications on my sets, and dont really notice a problem with flesh tone colors.

I know I should do the mod. RCA went to all the trouble to add the fix to their manuals!!

classicradios 10-09-2012 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My CTC-9 has a 21FJP22a installed without any mods. I'm happy with the fleshtones. Here's a photo.